Is your school district offering online learning for the fall?

mrs. magoo

DIS Veteran
I teach in an inner city school district and we are offering parents the option to stay online until the end of the first semester (January 28th). As far as I know we are the only school district in the county that is offering this option to parents. I personally think this is a mistake. So many students are failing and really need to be back in person. My youngest is graduating but I know that our district is only offering it with a doctor's note. My district has told us teachers that we will not be teaching simultaneously in the fall so there will be online teachers and in person teachers. So my question is what are your school districts doing for the fall?

My kids are homeschooled, but our school district is offering either fully in-person or fully online for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Yes, for elementary age students, but they will be restricting it to one school in the district, so if you want your child to attend virtual school, then you have to request that to be the school where they are enrolled. The teachers will be physically present in the building, set up to teach from classrooms there.

For older students, the state has an online program that was previously in place for kids with certain types of disabilities. My understanding is that that will be expanded somewhat.

They are offering it, but you are no longer affiliated with your local school. Our district has always had a Virtual Academy for people who can't do regular school (mainly elite athletes or entertainment types), but this past year they offered distance learning options taught by the local school teachers. So at the elementary level each grade had a DL teacher and they were all remote. Secondary was a mess with the distance learners and the teachers had to teach both in person and DL kids. Next year if you still want to be remote you are automatically enrolled in the Virtual Academy.

Our district bought the same cyber software that our state offers and has decided that cyber within the district will be an option from now on. My son is doing the cyber right now and while I know of a few kids who are thriving in the cyber option, my son is not one of them! Unless something crazy happens over the summer, he will be back in traditional school this fall.

Not sure yet - my son goes to a Catholic HS, so they do their own thing. Most likely, they'll offer some sort of remote learning option, since the technology is in place now.

Our school offered a virtual option all this school year. I believe next school year it will be only virtual with a doctor's note. 95% of students were in-person all year at our school.

Our state is not planning to fund a virtual option so right now we are all going back in person. With the latest news on the kids vaccines coming soon, it should be okay.

Our districts are looking into setting up separate online/DL “academies” within the district that would not be connected to your physical home school, you would attend that academy instead your home school.

Yes, but it's a full virtual academy model and once you opt in, you are committed for the entire school year. Our district plans a full return to traditional 5 days a week instruction.

They are but very few are choosing the option.

This time around the teachers will be dedicated to online or in person, no longer having to teach but simultaneously.

A friend of my wife's has volunteered to teach online 1st grade. To fill her class of 20-25 she will be THE online 1st grade teacher for 6 elementary schools.

Last edited:
The high school has alluded to there being that option, but there hasn't been any information on what that will look like. I don't think it will look anything like this year though.

I am unsure on the elementary school district. I'm actually on the reopening committee and we have our first meeting this afternoon, so I may know more then.

My district has never offered an completely online option so this is all new territory. We have offered some online courses for students who need to catch up but this would be the first year that a complete online option would be offered. I teach high school special ed and I currently have kids who are in person and online. It is a nightmare so I am hopeful that I will only be teaching in person next year.

My kids are in private school, but the plan is to keep virtual up and running and the big selling point is they will be strict about keeping sick kids home but kids can still receive the same education (since almost no one can afford to miss a week of school for a minor cold).
They already did virtual days for snow days and any other kid of interruption.

My daughter's school district is offering a distance only option. We've been told whether we choose distance or in person we must stick with it the entire school year. This year doing distance and now hybrid have been awful for my youngest, she's excited to back full time in person.

My granddaughters school district hasn’t said anything yet in regards to next school year.

I haven’t heard anything about next year. Kids are currently either full in-person or full remote. I assume the remote option is going away since it’s been pretty safe with the full in-person now.

Yes, students can elect a virtual academy for next year. I think it will be popular enough to continue after next year as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter