Is WDW cutting back on the AC to save money?

We've been noticing this for a while now; sometimes it's warmer than other times...I suspect they are testing and weighing the savings

Not specific to Disney, but there have been times when I've been so downright cold and wished for a jacket/sweater indoors even though it's 90+ outside. I don't know what Disney sets their thermostat to, but some places seem to believe it should be 70 no matter what the outside temperature is doing. On a scorching day, 75 indoors would still be welcome and refreshing.

I have heard this complaint several times and it is a real bummer if it's true. We haven't been to WDW since 2019, and will absolutely not return during a warm month if this is how they are managing things. It is unacceptable in Florida to not provide sufficiently cool indoor locations. It's frankly a dangerous game to play with the extreme heat and humidity that occurs in the summer. People need places to cool down in the parks, to prevent heat exhaustion.

I'm a Disneyland local. I'm there a lot. The AC is on full blast in every indoor space here. And it's not even that hot (yet). There is no excuse for WDW to be any different. They can't blame aging equipment. Disneyland is 16 years older...

Great AC at the parks when we were there less than 2 weeks ago.

Also great AC at the hotel (Wilderness Lodge). I had to adjust the room thermostat because it was too cold.

It is unlikely that they are cutting back. It is exceptionally hot right now and they probably just can't keep up. I don't think they would do it for cost savings, though they may have to if the machines are bing worked too hard in the Florida heat/humidity.

Last edited:

At BLT this week one could put AC all the way down to 64. Beautiful!
At PVB, it would go no lower than 68. Not so beautiful, but we like it cold when it's 95° outside, dangit!! Pool temperature at Poly was "barely refreshing". Pass the tub of ice cubes, please!

This seems like one of those urban myths that has been perpetuated by the "Chapek is cheap" mantra.

Yes, it's just the weather. A lot of these buildings have always-open entry ways or just people consantly in and out of them. It's hard to cool these buildings and they are basically running the air nonstop. They are not going to save that much by setting th etemp a little higher because the air would still jsut be running (unless that number were egregiously high). It's just dang hot right now all over the Southeast!

The only attraction we specifically noticed in May was the queue for MMRR.

For every person complaining it's too warm, one is complaining it's too cold. Especially international travelers. Most other countries don't keep their room temps as low as Americans tend to. Disney has to consider this also.

Even with the above, the parks are so busy, it's likely doors are opening and closing more often as well, causing more air to get out. Besides, if to help address fuel costs and inflation they changed the setting a degree or two, is that really a crisis? It's a better option than most.

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/06/disney-world-air-conditioning-cut-ld1/

I've noticed it's seemed warmer inside attractions on my last few trips too. It sounds like it could end up miserable this summer if they keep trying to save money on the thermostat.
1. Yes, room thermostats have been backed-off.
2. This happened SEVERAL years ago.
. . . in 2011, I remember lots of complaints
. . . people would leave the room for the day
. . . they crank the thermostat to lowest setting
. . . when they return, room is ice-cold
. . . the A/C runs all day and runs up a huge electric bill
. . . the A/C breaks down more often

NOTE:
a. As a concierge, we had complaints of hot rooms
b. We explained the reason for inability to lower temps
c. This saved energy use and A/C repairs
d. Guests complained, but walked away understanding
e. They even tried auto-off "smart" thermostats
. . . with lack of room movement, A/C would shut down
. . . people got smart
. . . they taped a balloon in front of the thermostat
. . . the breeze kept the balloon moving
. . . the thermostat saw "movement" and would keep running
. . . this worked during the day and the wee hours

It is unlikely that they are cutting back. It is exceptionally hot right now and they probably just can't keep up. I don't think they would do it for cost savings, though they may have to if the machines are bing worked too hard in the Florida heat/humidity.
Exactly. Hot & humid here too & my a/c at home struggles to keep up during the hottest part of the day. I think the fans not operating are just an oversight of a CM responsible (or whomever) for checking if they’re working.

I don’t care so much about the ac inside but I’ve stood in many lines in the past when it was incredibly hot and humid and the fans were not going. A little breeze would make those lines easier to bear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter