Is Universal's Epic Universe a Shot Across the Bow or A Body Blow to Disney

It would make sense, but we shall see. Back in the day they did do it at IoA for a couple of years switching back and forth. I wonder what the reason was for the permanent residence at Universal after that though. Never went to the IoA one, but all I can personally think of is there might be more locations to have houses due to the extra studios / buildings?

At Universal, all those buildings are essentially locations they typically do not use for the public, so I would imagine it's easy to set up shop there and take their time putting everything away. I do not know what IoA used, but if those house attractions had other attractions involved, or buildings that were used by guests regularly, it might be an issue to have to close something for the duration of them to set everything up, use it for a house attraction, and then still closed while they take everything down.
IOA holds less people and it was too crowded with the much narrower streets.

Never understood why people feel they have to only like one of the parks, and bash the other park. I'm an AP holder to both Disney and Universal, and love them each for the qualities they bring. It's like Xbox vs Playstation, Marvel vs DC, etc. Blind fanboyism is awful

Rising tide lifts all boats

Agreed. I love The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and some people think you have to pit them against each other. Different, but similar idea to this. I love DL (I'm not as much of a fan of WDW since the experience there is way too planned to the nth degree and you don't really have a chance at good fastpasses unless you stay on property), and Universal. I see no reason not to enjoy both. I even like some Knotts Berry Farm thrown in there when in California.

Theme Park competition is good; it encourages each park to try and do better and bring more to the table. We, as consumers, benefit from this. Had Universal not brought in HP, Disney may not have done what they've done and added Toy Story Land, Avatar, or even Star Wars. While each company may want to see the other fail, as people that enjoy going to the parks we should welcome new stuff. Our wallets may not benefit, but I certainly enjoy seeing what each park has to offer me lol.

Theme Park competition is good; it encourages each park to try and do better and bring more to the table. We, as consumers, benefit from this. Had Universal not brought in HP, Disney may not have done what they've done and added Toy Story Land, Avatar, or even Star Wars. While each company may want to see the other fail, as people that enjoy going to the parks we should welcome new stuff. Our wallets may not benefit, but I certainly enjoy seeing what each park has to offer me lol.
I think Harry Potter created this level of immersion that hadn't been done before. And I totally agree we've all benefited from it. It created a new phase in the theme park industry IMO.

I don't think the companies want the other to fail though. Get more of a market share than the other? Yeah but actually fail doubtful.

Doing split stays was addressed earlier. We have been doing split stays for a few times now. We typically book 9 to 10 days at Disney and do 2 days overnight at Universal. However, this year we are buying AP's at Universal and plan on visiting Universal only at least once before the pass is up. We live out of state in N. Mn. so it is not close to Orlando at all!
Why the change? We love the Disney nostalgia, but the increasing prices are causing us to decrease the number of days we stay. We now stay 7 1/2 to 8 days at WDW. We have found that we like Universal more and more as we visit more. We like the more relaxed atmosphere and less crowds (at least when we travel). The RPR is our go to resort, and the service and resort itself are first rate IMO. We love being able to ride our favorite ride over and over if we want to. One time we rode MIB at least 6 times in a row:) Harry Potter is our favorite part of any resort, hands down.
The cost of a seasonal AP, out of town, is great and perfect for us. We don't travel during holidays but at "off" times. The cost for 2 adults for a year is less than the cost of tickets and EP"s for 2 days at Universal. So, we are looking forward to spending more time exploring and getting to know all that Universal offers in the future visits. Disney isn't losing us, but we are going to WDW less than before. They won't miss us. Can't wait til Spring to go to Universal with AP's:)

Disney and Universal do things differently :) That said I mentioned on the News Thread I was wondering just what would be there on opening day.

The News Thread has a bit more information on it starting with this post if you're interested- https://www.disboards.com/threads/news-round-up-2019.3726636/post-61202858

Thanks for that.

Really looking forward to details about the hotel. Particularly where it is going to fall (luxury-wise) in relation to their current line up.

That's truly amazing if they pull it off. Disney couldn't build an Orlando themed theme park in 4 years.
A big part of Disney's construction schedules involve prepping the land for construction. With a lot of it's area being swampy a lot of land isn't suitable at first for building on so has to be compacted and prepared before they can even start construction. Universal shouldn't have this problem with Epic Universe's land sinc eit was already used for buildings and stuff.

Disney has a lot of good examples (just stay away from Toy Story Land, I don't know why that is a thing lol)
Point taken on Toy Story even though I haven't seen it in person yet :)

I think I was thinking that Disney usually has this grand plan that inevitably gets paired down these days, rides cut, restaurants cut, rides or experiences downgraded, etc.

I actually do agree about stuff after HP (though Hagrid's is new it's still HP). But I think a whole new theme park will give Universal the breadth to expand on what they did good in HP in terms of immersion without constraints of space. Now if there's a gadzillion screen-based rides where I sit down and get bounced around in the new theme park with little variety I'll totally be :sad2: at Universal but I'm hoping for the best that it's not the case.

But WDI takes the time to perfect things, something I haven't really seen Universal do except for Harry Potter.

True but this new park is 50x the size of SW:GE. Sure a big portion of the 750 acres will be parking/wetland recovery, etc.....but still....2023 is quite the aggressive schedule. I have yet to go to Universal but am excited to see what they come up with!

Now if there's a gadzillion screen-based rides where I sit down and get bounced around in the new theme park with little variety I'll totally be :sad2: at Universal but I'm hoping for the best that it's not the case.

Naturally it is all educated guesses in terms of rides but Nintendoland will have 3 rides. The Donkey Kong Coaster will be a coaster and Yoshi will be a traditional dark ride (possibly with a Buzz Lightyear shooting influences). Mario Kart will probably be a hybrid. Not total racing Test Track but not Fast and Furious either. I expect you to be moving on a real track.

On the opposite side of the park (rumored How to Train your Dragon) you can see in concept art one big coaster right above the land as well as a smaller one inside the land. hard to tell specific others but just because lets split the difference and say 1 screen based dragon flying ride and one Dumbo type ride.

Harry Potter Land v3 is where things get tougher. The Show building looks massive and who knows if it will be used for one ride or multiple rides or a huge indoor exploration section with a ride. If I had to put money down it I would say the land would be Mexico Pavilion from EPCOT style. A really nicely themed outside but inside would be the majority of the shops and eating and rides. Diagon Alley has survived with one ride so I am sure the new land could as well but since Universal has free reign I will guess 2 rides. All HP rides have had real movements and props in addition to screens so I would guess things would remain the same here.

Back on other side of the park Universal Monsters land is the big maybe. With the success of the Universals Monsters house at HHN I would not say no to a expanded walkthrough experience like Walking Dead has in Hollywood. There is also rumors of a Universal Monsters dark ride. And then there is the show stage in that area as well. This is really the wild card area.

Then finally as mentioned there is a Coaster outside any specific lands. That brings the possibilities of more rides outside a specific land as well. Looking at the concept art there is a area perfectly shaped for a carousel and other buildings with footprints that seem to big just for a shop or restaurant.

So I am not to worried about a over abundance of screen rides for the new park.

Naturally it is all educated guesses in terms of rides but Nintendoland will have 3 rides. The Donkey Kong Coaster will be a coaster and Yoshi will be a traditional dark ride (possibly with a Buzz Lightyear shooting influences). Mario Kart will probably be a hybrid. Not total racing Test Track but not Fast and Furious either. I expect you to be moving on a real track.

On the opposite side of the park (rumored How to Train your Dragon) you can see in concept art one big coaster right above the land as well as a smaller one inside the land. hard to tell specific others but just because lets split the difference and say 1 screen based dragon flying ride and one Dumbo type ride.

Harry Potter Land v3 is where things get tougher. The Show building looks massive and who knows if it will be used for one ride or multiple rides or a huge indoor exploration section with a ride. If I had to put money down it I would say the land would be Mexico Pavilion from EPCOT style. A really nicely themed outside but inside would be the majority of the shops and eating and rides. Diagon Alley has survived with one ride so I am sure the new land could as well but since Universal has free reign I will guess 2 rides. All HP rides have had real movements and props in addition to screens so I would guess things would remain the same here.

Back on other side of the park Universal Monsters land is the big maybe. With the success of the Universals Monsters house at HHN I would not say no to a expanded walkthrough experience like Walking Dead has in Hollywood. There is also rumors of a Universal Monsters dark ride. And then there is the show stage in that area as well. This is really the wild card area.

Then finally as mentioned there is a Coaster outside any specific lands. That brings the possibilities of more rides outside a specific land as well. Looking at the concept art there is a area perfectly shaped for a carousel and other buildings with footprints that seem to big just for a shop or restaurant.

So I am not to worried about a over abundance of screen rides for the new park.
Thanks for all that wonderful detail :-):-)

I'm not hugely concerned but def. for a while there Universal was just adding screen-based rides which is why I was so excited to see Hagrids and then the new Jurassic World roller coaster. I'm hoping because they'll have the creative space and actual physical space that they will use that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter