Is TRON at MK Pooh-Sized Friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it's the exact same ride car/cycle as Shanghai. Two were produced and this one has been in storage until this ride was ready. They did not make any changes for the North American market, and I think that will prove to be a costly mistake that will take time and money to fix. (by fix I mean adding the bench seats to every train)
Yes, I've mentioned several times over the years that the ride was reported to have a clone in a warehouse so there was no excuse for it to take this long to build, other than accounting. And it was a total failure to not adjust the trains for the new market. They learned in 2017 with FOP that there are issues with the seats and even the average bear could translate that to the Tron seats and at that point Disney should have begun the changes. BUT it is costly if the trains were already built and they'll just ride it out like they did with FOP. I don't think they will change them.

Absolutely true.
My point
The early posts on GotG thread suggested the % of guests affected would wind up significantly high
At the beginning many people were sick. Our first ride (not previews) two of us were sick for hours. As we got off all benches were full of green people. Trash cans were heavily used and a line for bathroom. Next trip a month later we had taken meds and had seabands. We were woozy but not sick. There were less green people but still a line to bathroom. Custodians said they were busy non-stop cleaning up. Last trip we made some adjustments to ourselves and did fine. With each trip the ability to get a virtual time became easier, ILL were available longer and lines inside shorter. I think the reason we are hearing less about getting sick isn't because the ride really doesn't do that but because many folks are not returning to ride, many aren't even trying (I've talked to so many who say they won't chance ruining their day). Guardians is no longer hard to get ~ I think because many people are not riding it because of the sick factor. I rode Forbidden Journey 2-3 times and then decided it's not worth it. That ride wait has gone way down too due to folks choosing not to ride.

We might find folks not willing to wait hours for the bench seat after riding once. That will truly be just another coaster ride and at that point you have to factor in the wait. Worth it? So while we might not hear many reports of folks not fitting (just like we do now with FOP) it's probably because they aren't even trying.

Uh, Guardians isn't hard to get? Since when? Maybe at 1 it lasts a bit longer but at 7 am, it is still HARD to get. Maybe you don't try often since you can't ride without prepping? We do ride, 2 times a day for ever Epcot reservation, 3 when there are Deluxe hours. So I've ridden 20+ times, going back to preview day and haven't seen a single woozy or sick person. Only person sitting on bench at the stairs was someone who bailed and didn't ride not because they were motion sick but scared of coasters (they were in line in front of us and I heard their entire debate on to ride or not ride, saw them use the chicken exit)
So no, it's not the horrific hurl machine that many make it out to be.
Goodness folks here got to realize negative, especially negative Disney, gets more clicks than saying, oh, it ran fine and no one had any issues.
Clicks are what these bloggers and whatnot get paid for. They use words to get clicks.
Everyone breathing adult knows this. Or should.

correct. He is morbidly obese and was able to fit. Unfortunately some people that are even larger than him might not be able to fit, but they can still ride (regular seat), just need to wait a bit longer. It is hard to accommodate everyone, we are talking about safety reasons and also efficiency on loading very large guests. Also, imagineers created the ride to be ridden as a bike, there is that as well.

Yes. It's going to come down to each individual person and how they are proportioned. I think this debunks the whole "no one over a women's size 14" thing though.

Paging Mr. Morrow was able to ride yesterday and he's a big guy. He said he had some issues at first but figured out how to maneuver himself into the seat. I am much more confident that the issues may be a little exaggerated if he was able to do it: https://youtu.be/P8Zv_5RZ_8c
That video (I skipped around) was so very helpful

1) The CM advised the test seat was not exactly 100% the same as the ride vehicle but was there to show you
2) He tried the normal seat and the CM came up and mentioned the leg part wasn't locking and she recommended the back row seat. A key thing mentioned (at least to me it was key) was the really the leg restraint is the bigger part according to the what he said the CM said with the back being more there for comfort. With FOP it was both the leg and the back part you needed to work in.
3) He went back and retried the test seat took more time to learn how his body could fit and he was able to get into the regular seat

This video is very helpful for talking through what you may want to do with your body

Yes. It's going to come down to each individual person and how they are proportioned. I think this debunks the whole "no one over a women's size 14" thing though.
I don't think there was anything to really debunk. We all carry weight differently, with different heights, different body proportions so just take whatever that person says with that context, no need to "debunk" it.

I appreciate the discussion - even negative - as it gives me a planning perspective. For example, if I were prone to motion sickness, I might try to schedule GofTG for later in the day, or take motion sickness meds. If I was still larger, I might plan for the potential that I MIGHT not be able to ride Tron. But I'm a Disney planner, and don't leave much to chance for my trips. So I appreciate these Boards and the information.

What I'm confused about is the sense that EVERY guest can/should fit on EVERY ride. We have height limits for the sake of safety - not as much at Disney parks - but they exist. The large thrill/coaster park near us has pretty strict height/size limits for more thrilling rides, and it never occurred to me that anything but safety was the reason. Yes, they built the cars identical in size (which makes sense from a budget and engineering perspective) to the other Disney Tron ride - and it still took years to get this ride running. We have several members of our family who are DAS users, and certain rides/attractions don't work for them. I have several family members who are super tall/larger and certain rides don't work for them. My neck/back used to give me issues, and certain rides didn't work for me. I used to weight 100 pounds more than I do now, and certain rides didn't work for me then. I still can't ride anything that spins. Not every ride is going to work for every guest. I feel like Disney has a limited number of "high" thrill rides, so Disney guests haven't experienced these limitations much before (you can also take most bags on Disney rides, which is definitely NOT the case at most amusement parks/thrill rides), so this is a newer issue for Disney.

I actually saw Mr. Morrow filming, the only "influencer" I've seen in the wild. I pretended I didn't recognize him though LOL.

He is shorter than I imagined him to be, maybe 5'10"? From the videos I would have put him over 6'.

I don't think there was anything to really debunk. We all carry weight differently, with different heights, different body proportions so just take whatever that person says with that context, no need to "debunk" it.

I agree with you and never was concerned. But there are lots of people out there who are very worried now because of comments like that. This is reassurance for those people that they may be able to ride with no issues.

DIS article posted today: Is TRON Lightcycle / Run at Disney World Size-Inclusive?

From the author - I hope what he heard is true:

"There was a line of people waiting for the “bench seat.” As of this writing, only two trains have this particular seat. I’m told they plan for all the trains to be outfitted soon. I’m not sure if this was always in the plans or decided now that they see how many people need it."
I really hope they do add more seats.

I'm not pooh sized, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and just looking at the position you have to be in to ride on the bike makes me cringe. I've been watching the videos and I think the last row seat would be my only option.
I can't do a full kneel (thanks to arthritis) which is what it looks like you need to be able to do. So I will most likely be in the back row on the bench seat.

I have a feeling this will be a one and done ride for me but that's ok. There are plenty of other attractions I can ride.
This is me too. I *might* be able to get into the position on the bike, but I highly doubt I'll be able to get back off. It looks a lot different than FOP which I can ride with no issue. I can do Hagrid's on the bike too, but leaning forward on it really gets me, so that's a no go for me anymore. Thank goodness for the seats on the side, which gives each *car* the choice. I get that it wouldn't fit the Tron theme, but if Disney did something like it, it would certainly allow more people to ride it who need the car rather than the bike.
However, my neck and shoulders became sore trying to look up at all of the stuff around me!
This is another concern I have too. Mostly because of my joint fusion issues. I would WANT to look around!

Nate (aka Paging Mr. Morrow) just posted an excellent video on YouTube of his experience riding. He was not able to fit on the lightcycle the first time but was able to fit the second time after he tried the test vehicle again and figured out how to position his legs. The video has timestamps in the notes that let you only watch the sections explaining the ride vehicles and how to best position yourself if you don't want spoilers! He rode once in the accessible seats in the back and once in the front row on a lightcycle. Really great video! Most informative review I have seen by far!

Sorry... just saw multiple people posted this video while I was!

I really hope they do add more seats.

I'm not pooh sized, but I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and just looking at the position you have to be in to ride on the bike makes me cringe. I've been watching the videos and I think the last row seat would be my only option.

This is me too. I *might* be able to get into the position on the bike, but I highly doubt I'll be able to get back off. It looks a lot different than FOP which I can ride with no issue. I can do Hagrid's on the bike too, but leaning forward on it really gets me, so that's a no go for me anymore. Thank goodness for the seats on the side, which gives each *car* the choice. I get that it wouldn't fit the Tron theme, but if Disney did something like it, it would certainly allow more people to ride it who need the car rather than the bike.

This is another concern I have too. Mostly because of my joint fusion issues. I would WANT to look around!
When I first saw Tron, it reminded me of Hagrids at Universal. The body position seems similar (maybe Tron's looks a little more uncomfortable?) I had the chance to ride Hagrid's both on the cycle and in the side car (seems Hagrid's had a better engineering idea, with half the seats more accessible?). Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT experiences. The side car was much more comfortable, and the cycle was way more fun. And yes, it was a bit of an uncomfortable neck angle, but the ride was pretty short.

Nate (aka Paging Mr. Morrow) just posted an excellent video on YouTube of his experience riding. He was not able to fit on the lightcycle the first time but was able to fit the second time after he tried the test vehicle again and figured out how to position his legs. The video has timestamps in the notes that let you only watch the sections explaining the ride vehicles and how to best position yourself if you don't want spoilers! He rode once in the accessible seats in the back and once in the front row on a lightcycle. Really great video! Most informative review I have seen by far!

I have to say, am I the only one confused when the CM tells him the test seats are not actually seats? Why? Why have a test seat that doesn’t accurately represent the ride? They really couldn’t send 2 spare actual seats to put out? What good does it do to measure yourself on a seat that isn’t what they use? Makes zero sense

His video very useful though. Just struck by the seat comment more than anything

Yeah but according to this picture, it’s more like a kneeling position and there’s bars that go over top of the back of your knees.View attachment 737723
I think this picture makes it much more clear how different it is from FOP and where the issues might be. Not so much Pooh body although I'm sure there will be some, but the thigh leg length might be an issue as there doesn't seem to be much flexibility in how you place your leg like FOP. Also if your calf just below your knee is wide it might not click, again not much flexibility.
Uh, Guardians isn't hard to get? Since when? Maybe at 1 it lasts a bit longer but at 7 am, it is still HARD to get. Maybe you don't try often since you can't ride without prepping? We do ride, 2 times a day for ever Epcot reservation, 3 when there are Deluxe hours. So I've ridden 20+ times, going back to preview day and haven't seen a single woozy or sick person. Only person sitting on bench at the stairs was someone who bailed and didn't ride not because they were motion sick but scared of coasters (they were in line in front of us and I heard their entire debate on to ride or not ride, saw them use the chicken exit)
So no, it's not the horrific hurl machine that many make it out to be.
Goodness folks here got to realize negative, especially negative Disney, gets more clicks than saying, oh, it ran fine and no one had any issues.
Clicks are what these bloggers and whatnot get paid for. They use words to get clicks.
Everyone breathing adult knows this. Or should.
Well I assume you are responding to me just above.
- It hasn't been hard for me to get, I've gotten it every single time at 7 and 1. I've seen MANY daily reports of availability for a longer time at opening instead of the once gone in minutes and lasting hours in the afternoon. Anything open over an hour is not hard to get. Easier than some FP+ used to be. Also if someone is consistently riding 2-3 times per day, it's not hard to get.
- "Maybe I don't try often because of prepping?" Taking medicine the night before has NOTHING to do with how often I try and how often I ride. And as I said we have no issues with riding it anymore but at first I wasn't planning to return due to how I felt.
- I have seen woozy sick people every single ride, perhaps if you are not looking around and observing you wouldn't see it. And really it doesn't matter what you didn't see, I know what I did see, I know what custodian told us.
- "Horrific hurl machine" ... no one said that. There are people that get sick, some throw up, some are woozy, some are nauseous. ALL the people who experienced it or saw it are not lying and not saying for clicks. I don't even read vlogger/blogger/sloggers. I only read average folks posts. They are just sharing their experiences for others.

Again, your experience does not make everyone else's untrue. I personally would rather tell the truth so folks are prepared if that is something they think will bother them. I think everyone should try it and decide for themselves but if they think there is any chance perhaps "prepping" can't hurt to avoid any issues.
1000% :thumbsup2

I appreciate the discussion - even negative - as it gives me a planning perspective. For example, if I were prone to motion sickness, I might try to schedule GofTG for later in the day, or take motion sickness meds. If I was still larger, I might plan for the potential that I MIGHT not be able to ride Tron. But I'm a Disney planner, and don't leave much to chance for my trips. So I appreciate these Boards and the information.

What I'm confused about is the sense that EVERY guest can/should fit on EVERY ride. We have height limits for the sake of safety - not as much at Disney parks - but they exist. The large thrill/coaster park near us has pretty strict height/size limits for more thrilling rides, and it never occurred to me that anything but safety was the reason. Yes, they built the cars identical in size (which makes sense from a budget and engineering perspective) to the other Disney Tron ride - and it still took years to get this ride running. We have several members of our family who are DAS users, and certain rides/attractions don't work for them. I have several family members who are super tall/larger and certain rides don't work for them. My neck/back used to give me issues, and certain rides didn't work for me. I used to weight 100 pounds more than I do now, and certain rides didn't work for me then. I still can't ride anything that spins. Not every ride is going to work for every guest. I feel like Disney has a limited number of "high" thrill rides, so Disney guests haven't experienced these limitations much before (you can also take most bags on Disney rides, which is definitely NOT the case at most amusement parks/thrill rides), so this is a newer issue for Disney.
I agree that not every person can ride every ride for the reasons you state or because of fears they may have or physical issues they may have or issues that are counter to their reasons for a DAS.

BUT in this case Disney built identical vehicles for a location where most the people are more petite than most and one for a location where most the people are much bigger than most. And you are right, they put budget over the guest experience and that is their choice to do.

What I think they could have done was put the bench seat on ALL the trains, that would not have cost them more, they had all those designs/parts. They could anticipate that they were ruling out a larger number of people from riding the cycle so the bench would be more in demand.

My son is a DAS user at Disney & Universal. You are right there are some rides he can't ride (at Universal). He shouldn't be excluded from riding something because Disney has not prepared and did not put in a good system to give him access. There is a big difference where the guest has made that decision to not ride vs Disney has dropped the ball on accessibility of the line (not the ride).

Bottom line very poor planning that was totally predictable.

Last edited:
I have to say, am I the only one confused when the CM tells him the test seats are not actually seats? Why? Why have a test seat that doesn’t accurately represent the ride? They really couldn’t send 2 spare actual seats to put out? What good does it do to measure yourself on a seat that isn’t what they use? Makes zero sense

His video very useful though. Just struck by the seat comment more than anything

That was weird. Maybe the test seat is MORE restrictive so that they won't have the situation where people are able to get in the test seat and then not the actual ride.

But, yikes on the marks on his calves at the end. If a ride restraint is causing that much pain and leaving marks on your body after a 2 minute ride, imagine what would happen in an e stop where you are stuck in there for a long time.

Well after watching Nates video and the adjustment he made I am pretty confident I will be able to fit.

The paging Mr. Morrow video was very helpful. He did point out that the adjustments he made that allowed him to fit in the seat were possible because he’s shorter and it could be tougher for taller people to make that adjustment. I think he said he was 5’8 on the video. And it seemed like the bruises on his legs were pretty painful afterward :(

That was weird. Maybe the test seat is MORE restrictive so that they won't have the situation where people are able to get in the test seat and then not the actual ride.

But, yikes on the marks on his calves at the end. If a ride restraint is causing that much pain and leaving marks on your body after a 2 minute ride, imagine what would happen in an e stop where you are stuck in there for a long time.
Maybe but then you have people who think they can't ride and walk away when it's possible they could fit provided Disney put a real seat out. Yeah, I know there are benches but some may want to only do the bike and just don't try.
Plus, you are relying on a CM to explain all this to a guest. When it's buy will a CM be there to explain it to every guest who tried?
But hey, I've never ran a theme park so what do I know? I keep trying to go with Disney knows more than I do but sometimes I really wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter