Is trip planning the MAIN reason you watch/listen to the DIS Unplugged?

Is trip planning the MAIN reason you watch/listen to the DIS Unplugged?

• YES, I mainly tune in to help us plan our trips.

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • NO, trip planning is not the main reason I tune in.

Votes: 102 86.4%

• Total voters
For those who watched Seans livestream the other day, he brought up a point that the Dis can fix its issues and move on without pete, etc.
But he did point out that because the theme park youtube game is oversaturated, doing things like weekly check-ins with the "cast" every episode, episode numbering, etc. may be unnecessary things they could stand to shed.

While i agree to a point, i think most frequent viewers of any theme park internet personalities, you come for the info, but stay for the personalities.
Though, i will say, the Dis really did seperate their content well on their 2 main channels: One channel for personality based shows and vlogs, and that has little or no input from the show employees (if they do appear, its structured and to the point about an event/attraction).

There's no shortage of places to get theme park news today, but you kind of get accustomed to personalities you prefer to get that information from.
So i wouldn't say i mind when they get off topic or talk about their personal lives.

...i forget where i was going with this.
Anyway, no, i dont necessarily plan trips via The Dis (i'm local-ish anyway). I just kind of got accustomed to the "cast", and recognize the comfort in a parasocial relationship. (Ryno and Craig could do a show about nearly anything and i'd prolly watch, and I love anytime Theresa goes on a tangent about something unrelated to the parks).

I voted NO, but restaurant reviews, Epcot festival reviews, genie + info, ride closures, ETC do guide my choices on my upcoming trips. So maybe I should have put yes - but after countless WDW trips over the past couple of decades, I don't do a ton of trip planning outside of restaurant choices and which days to do which parks.
Honestly, I think there are better sources out there for basic Disney news, but I really like the team and appreciate their insight and reviews.

it's definitely not why i tuned in every week. I've planned 4 trips in the last 10 years and the DIS has had plenty of great ideas and tips. but what kept me coming back was because it was entertaining.

i think like many members on the boards here I don't have too many people in real life who want to sit down and actually debate disney restaurants, the updates to Fort Wilderness, the good and bad of Genie+, etc. but this channel has that. and for the most part the personalities stood out.

PW's a monster but he was, objectively, an immensely entertaining host. I hate to compliment the guy right now but that was part of why I stayed up to date with the shows.

However, I'm definitely digging the Erica-Craig-Ryno videos that have been coming out. They're a solid team for reviews. I'm going to continue to check in and see how it goes.
Yes Pete was an entertaining host, there were some hysterical moments with him going off on a rant, or being incredulous about something. Like his thoughts on having to go to the toilet in a emergency bag in a stuck glass gondola high above the ground in front of a bunch of strangers. That was so funny.

I think the remaining hosts need to be as opinionated as Pete to retain viewers. Being nice and positive and super excited and all that is great but it can be a bit boring (I'm thinking the Trackers). Especially when everyone is in agreement and there is harmony. You need a bit of an edge and may I say it, some conflict?

I think the remaining hosts need to be as opinionated as Pete to retain viewers. Being nice and positive and super excited and all that is great but it can be a bit boring (I'm thinking the Trackers). Especially when everyone is in agreement and there is harmony. You need a bit of an edge and may I say it, some conflict?
I think the view counts disagree with this though. Paging Mr Morrow, Trackers, Ordinary Adventures, etc are the biggest in the space and their content is overwhelmingly positive.

In a sense, I guess a little bit of trip planning. I watch the dining reviews to get an idea if a restaurant is worth trying, but I also cross-reference with blog reviews to get a general idea.
Other than that, it's just Disney news and discussion for me. Light entertainment while driving.

I voted no, because I don't really tune in to help with trip planning - I don't currently have a WDW trip lined up but I watch(ed) every week. I've been enough times that I'm interested in the news and discussion. I prefer Dis Unplugged to most Disney vloggers because they don't feel the need to be positive all the time, it means when something is genuinely good I can believe their reviews.

I have enough conflict in my day to day life. I don't need manufactured conflict to enjoy Disney content.
Who said anything about fake? OK conflict was perhaps a too strong a word. Maybe disagreement, debate or venting one's spleen. I don't mean conflict like shouting at each other or anything horrible like that. Just be a little edgy. And Pete could very much be like that, especially his rants. Which I think the majority of us enjoyed.

Who said anything about fake? OK conflict was perhaps a too strong a word. Maybe disagreement, debate or venting one's spleen. I don't mean conflict like shouting at each other or anything horrible like that. Just be a little edgy. And Pete could very much be like that, especially his rants. Which I think the majority of us enjoyed.

I'm good with debate, when it's authentic. As for PW rants - once upon a time they were entertaining, but in recent years they became less so. What once felt spontaneous and authentic felt more and more manufactured for views. I don't want the team to feel any compunction to continue "rants" at all, given all that's happened.

To the original question, there was no real content that I would use for my trip planning - and, a LOT more superior content out there vying for my screen time for that purpose. So, no, it was not the primary reason that I watched (now past tense).

Absolutely but the show is just a mess lately I’m really hoping Craig can rein it in! I legit use to wait for their takes on events and new things but it’s just so over the place…

that poster does have a point though. there are ways to have debate-style discussions without calling it conflict. if everyone agrees it gets pretty dry.
And as I said in a later response - I'm all for authentic debate. When it's manufactured for outrage or just for the sake of having debate, the lack of authenticity is clear in the presentation and it's no longer interesting to watch.

I'm good with debate, when it's authentic. As for PW rants - once upon a time they were entertaining, but in recent years they became less so. What once felt spontaneous and authentic felt more and more manufactured for views. I don't want the team to feel any compunction to continue "rants" at all, given all that's happened.
Exactly. They weren't rants. Being louder or more obnoxious than the other panelists, while stating an opinion that wasn't any more or less extreme or controversial than anyone else's, isn't a rant. It's just the guy who owns the show using his little bully pulpit to make himself sound more edgy and important. He didn't care about what he was "ranting" on about, he only cared that it put the spotlight on him.

I listen to the DIS Unplugged podcast as I'm driving to/from work. I just liked hearing people talk about Disney stuff. I had no strong opinions either way about the panelists at all. I thought Pete had a good radio voice, as does Craig. I had absolutely no idea about the inner machinations going on in the company. Good Lord.

I didn't vote because I'm not sure how we are defining trip planning. I watch for resort overviews and reviews, restauarnt reviews, updates on admission policies, updates on line avoidance strategies (Genie+, ILL, etc.); discussions on special events like F&W, and Flower and Garden, attraction openings and closings, and rumors of upcoming projects and changes. If all or most of that counts as "trip planning", then I guess the answer is "yes." But when I hear the phrase "trip planning", I think more of what TP does, which is guide you minute by minute through your day. If that is what is meant by trip planning, then the answer would be "no."

Edit to add: They type of content that I favor as described above, does NOT have to be produced live, or weekly. The very best Disney restaurant reviews that I absorb are pre-recorded and put up on YT a few days later. The "Seven In Seven" shows (which were brilliant) were pre-recorded, put up on the site a few days later, and done only once or maybe twice a year. Disney content does not grow stale fast enough to be brought to you as live, late-breaking news. Sure, when Genie+ gets a new feature or update, then post a video describing the changes as soon as practicable. But again, doing so in a couple of days, and only a couple of times a year will suffice.

Last edited:
I didn't vote because I'm not sure how we are defining trip planning. I watch for resort overviews and reviews, restauarnt reviews, updates on admission policies, updates on line avoidance strategies (Genie+, ILL, etc.); discussions on special events like F&W, and Flower and Garden, attraction openings and closings, and rumors of upcoming projects and changes. If all or most of that counts as "trip planning", then I guess the answer is "yes." But when I hear the phrase "trip planning", I think more of what TP does, which is guide you minute by minute through your day. If that is what is meant by trip planning, then the answer would be "no."
Well I WAS going to write out a whole post but you nailed it with this! I want to know what's worth it and what isn't, what's new and what's outdated, etc. Basically, what can I do to make my next trip different and exciting?

Like others mentioned, I stopped listening once it became apparent Pete only wanted to talk about cruising. I'm sure DCL is lovely but cruising is just not for me. So I voted with my "wallet" aka my views/downloads. I hope going forward the channel will be more balanced. I'd be happy to resubscribe once we see what the crew (minus Dictator Pete) present!

I stopped listening once it became apparent Pete only wanted to talk about cruising.
I posted in another thread that I thought that the show jumped the shark when it became all about DCL (and ABD with some DVC thrown in). I enjoy cruises and have done one DCL cruise. But no one is ever, EVER going to convince me that DCL is worth the massive upcharge over other cruiselines. I wouldn't have minded if they ventured off into shows about cruising generally. But "all DCL all the time" became tiresome given that it is a product that I have no interest in. And the same is true for the $10,000 ABD trips and timeshares.

I posted in another thread that I thought that the show jumped the shark when it became all about DCL (and ABD with some DVC thrown in). I enjoy cruises and have done one DCL cruise. But no one is ever, EVER going to convince me that DCL is worth the massive upcharge over other cruiselines. I wouldn't have minded if they ventured off into shows about cruising generally. But "all DCL all the time" became tiresome given that it is a product that I have no interest in. And the same is true for the $10,000 ABD trips and timeshares.
As I have said before, Werner and Magi flat out decided to give up all pretense and just focus on that aspect of the TA business that reaps the greatest rewards (highest commission). Cruises pay almost double the commission of hotels. Getting people to book rooms at half the commission, and airline tickets at zero commission just doesn't cut it.

As I have said before, Werner and Magi flat out decided to give up all pretense and just focus on that aspect of the TA business that reaps the greatest rewards (highest commission). Cruises pay almost double the commission of hotels. Getting people to book rooms at half the commission, and airline tickets at zero commission just doesn't cut it.
Looking at the viewing figures and amount of money they pull in off Youtube you wonder how they can afford to pay one member of staff let alone two (Craig & Ryno), so they have to really push the cruises to pay for content. According to Social Blade estimated yearly earnings for all DIS Unplugged Youtube content is $900-$14k. And they are losing viewers, in September 2020 it was 780,000 for the month, in July 2023 it was 320,000. According to Ryno some of his pay comes from the Patreon income, but that will drop off without Pete's solo show. Unfortunately the trend is a steady decline. I wish them all the best but I have a feeling the DUT side of things is now subsidizing DIS Unplugged and you wonder how long that can continue, especially if they aren't going to do a Tuesday show for a while (or ever).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter