Is This Still Being Done?

Might have done that a few times in elementary school, but by the later years we didn't bother.

I remember when we would get brand new textbooks at the beginning of the year. We hated that because we knew that inevitably they'd be evaluated for damage and we would have to pay for it. Many of the books had been around the block for a while and were in such shape (sometimes loose bindings) that it could really couldn't get any worse.

Or even weirder was a particular history textbook we used in high school. There were newer versions, but it was a classic textbook that was updated, and we had maybe three different editions circulating. Sometimes entire sections on history were revamped, and of course newer versions had more recent history included.

We never had bags, never saw a backpack except when the guys played Army.

In high school, we used to carry all our books binders, homework under one arm pressed against our side. Grammar school, stayed in the same room, no moving around. But still no bags or backpacks for going home.
I thought you were going to say you had one of these, Dan! :p

gettyimages-87726451.jpg

I always seemed to have a bag full of heavy books to drag home.

I remember doing that. The paper covers started off so neat and clean. Then we would start writing all over them. Eventually they had some sort of laminated book covers with colors on them.

Same with the Pee Chee folders. The ones with the old football style players I think. There really wasn't really a choice in folders initially. ( I could be not remembering correctly which sport was on there.) They too started off so neat and clean then the writing on them would start! Fun times!!

It was all kind of a ritual to the start of a new school year.

We could only go to our lockers at lunch and end of the day. And one way traffic in the hallways all day.
Wow, one way traffic? So if your next class was in the classroom next to your previous classroom, you had to all the way around the school?

We had to do book covers in elementary school. I can’t remember if we also had to do that in high school too.
My kids don’t have textbooks.

Book covers were definitely mandatory when I was in school and they were strict about it, too. We had to cover our books immediately upon having them issued and they used class time for us to make covers — we weren’t even allowed to have them uncovered through the first day to take them home and cover them there. Teachers would start giving you grief throughout the year if your book covers got too ratty before being replaced. (This was not a strict private school or anything, just underfunded public schools trying to stretch their resources.)

We used brown paper bags for covers in elementary. My middle and high schools supplied covers. They were large paper sheets printed with the school logo/colors and dozens of advertisements for local businesses who, presumably, paid for the book covers.

It’s been a few years so my dd was in school but if she had a cover it was like an elastic one lol.

oh the days of the brown paper bag covers but we could decorate it lol.

And I remember trapper keepers too those were the thing back then.

One of the tasks my Dad had in the Air Force was working in the mailroom wrapping packages. He would get brown butcher paper and cover each of our textbooks so fast you could barely see his hands moving. Then I would draw the name of the book on the front with markers. I *never* doodled on my paper covers, I liked my books neat and tidy.

I remember also (I'm talking about the early to mid 80s) we had to have binders with a tab for each subject, and it was the thing among the girls at my high school that the binders HAD to be denim, and you would cover them with patches of your favorite band or whatever, just like you would put a patch on a denim jacket.

I thought you were going to say you had one of these, Dan! :p

gettyimages-87726451.jpg

I always seemed to have a bag full of heavy books to drag home.
The boys were like this, no headphones and a more Fonzie look than this guy......

The girls carried in both arms in front of themselves, not as fancy as this girl........

Wow, one way traffic? So if your next class was in the classroom next to your previous classroom, you had to all the way around the school?
Yes. Marie rolls her eyes every time I tell her this story, I've told it often.

I've never written this out before, always vocal.

In the southeast corner of the school was the cafeteria. The school and obviously the hallways were in one big square, large courtyard in the middle. So, cafeteria. Next was a few lockers and then a business basics (or something like that) classroom. One of the kids in the class had his locker to the left of the classroom. We were in the class just prior to lunch. At the bell, the kid had to head right, walk the four hallways, passing the cafeteria and then to his locker. Gets his lunch and then heads out again, doing the four hallways again and finally getting to the cafeteria. And the priests and brothers did watch for violations.

Notre Dame aerial

My middle and high schools supplied covers. They were large paper sheets printed with the school logo/colors and dozens of advertisements for local businesses who, presumably, paid for the book covers.

Oh, I'd forgotten about those ones! We did have them eventually.

When I was younger, it was grocery bags (and we were allowed to decorate them). At one point the Hallmark store was using bags with some sort of cute animal characters on the front and back (Shirt Tales, maybe?) and I think I remember using those too.

Then of course, there was writing on each other's book covers...

My high school student (Catholic school) still has a couple textbooks each year that need to be covered and they require paper bags for the covers, for some reason. No book socks allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter