Is this stealing?

I think it's stealing too. Not only that, but how filthy are those grapes before they are eating them?! They always have a visible layer of dirt on them when I buy them, I wash them in water and vinegar before eating. I think grapes are on the top ten dirtiest fruit list, aren't they? (Pesticides and other junk)

Definitely stealing. Our local store as some stands out near the produce section with apples, bananas, oranges, etc, that parents are allowed to grab for their children for free while they shop. They also usually have a table in the front of the store with complementary Popsicles or mini water bottles for customers. But eating more than one grape isn't right. There's certainly a limit.

Well - I do remember when one could sample bulk candies on the honor system. Usually there was a box that said something like drop a nickel for each piece sampled. The sample cost was probably less than the bulk price though, although it would depend on how big the piece was.

I still bristle at this! When I was 5-6, my mom gave me a nickel. I chose my candy, put the nickel in. Then I changed my mind, and switched the candy to a different flavor. The store manager only saw me take the candy. He pulled on my arm and told me he knew I stole from them, and that if he ever saw me do something like that again, he'd have me arrested.

And I was a cute little kid!

I'm going to play devils advocate. Yes it might be "stealing" but grocery stores throw away TONS of food that doesn't get bought throughout the week. Not saying it's right but really... what's more wrong? Eating a few grapes or throwing away tons of food? Meat that an animal gave its life for. Vegetables that farmers worked hard to grow. Honestly I'd rather see it be consumed than thrown away. :confused3

I'm going to play devils advocate. Yes it might be "stealing" but grocery stores throw away TONS of food that doesn't get bought throughout the week. Not saying it's right but really... what's more wrong? Eating a few grapes or throwing away tons of food? Meat that an animal gave its life for. Vegetables that farmers worked hard to grow. Honestly I'd rather see it be consumed than thrown away. :confused3

If they are throwing food away I would rather it go to a homeless shelter or s food bank

Thing is those grapes belong to the store, if they want to throw them away they can, they own them. When they are on the shelves for sale, they are for sale.

Question for those of you that have machines that shoot out a price sticker for your produce..

What stops someone from weighing 5 apples (for example), getting the bar code sticker and then putting an extra
3 apples in the bag? The cashier won't know because she's just scanning the bag.

That is because there are so many regulations when it comes to making food donations. If the store has it for sale it is wrong to take it without paying. Period. Please don't try to justify stealing.

Question for those of you that have machines that shoot out a price sticker for your produce..

What stops someone from weighing 5 apples (for example), getting the bar code sticker and then putting an extra
3 apples in the bag? The cashier won't know because she's just scanning the bag.
Its an honor system. I bought 2 bags of cherries last week, no kidding, they weighed the exact same, I double checked. The cashier caught it and I told her I had double checked, she took my word for it.

Hopefully the same thing that keeps someone from just putting them in their pocket.

Last edited:

Hopefully the cashier would notice the difference in weight.

LOL- hello 1980's- Wow haven't seen one of those around in a LONG time. Ours all have the electronic scales that print out price sticker too and they also have a bin of fruit that has a sign on it to take one for your child to eat while you shop in the store for free as a healthy snack.
We have those 80's scales at all our stores where I live.

With the examples you've provided 100% stealing.

LOL- hello 1980's- Wow haven't seen one of those around in a LONG time. Ours all have the electronic scales that print out price sticker too and they also have a bin of fruit that has a sign on it to take one for your child to eat while you shop in the store for free as a healthy snack.

Our two major stores have started doing this - a bin for free fruit for kids. I think its a great idea.

I bet the kids weren't eating the old looking stuff that gets thrown out. I'm guessing they chose the nicer looking stuff.

I was in the grocery store last night, in the produce section.
There was a lady with two kids - approx 13 and probably 15/16 - They were standing next to a display of cherries and grapes, casually chitty chatting with a friend Mom ran into. She and the children were eating grapes and cherries from the display, one after the other as if they were at home on their kitchen counter. These were not already weighted and labeled in their cart. They were plucking them right off the display, Mom had a produce bag where they were discarding the pits and the stems. o_O
I find this just wrong, I cannot even begin to figure out where one is justified in this action.

I get bent at DH when he wants to sample one grape to "make sure", 30 years of training and he still periodically steals a grape :rolleyes2 I feel like produce, like just about anything else in the store is bought based on appearance, smell, feel etc. not by taking a bite.
1000's of people a day make their way thru the grocery store, what if everyone sampled the produce.

Now, I realize the one grape sample is very different from the snacking family I noted above but it got me to thinking, what are the general thoughts on the subject?

Do you sample produce before you buy?
What constitutes a sample?

My 8 year old says yes, it's stealing.

I guess another thing would be to perhaps weigh something but enter the product code for a less expensive item. That's going to be a similar issue at self-checkout. However, they're typically monitored by an employee.

The one I remember was a guy who went to stores and applied his own bar code stickers to certain items that corresponded to lower-priced items. They looked somewhat official, like a manufacturer's sticker to change an existing UPC. His specialty was Lego, and he ended up selling them on eBay. He might do something like get a really expensive set that retails for hundreds but replace that with the UPC for a set that cost $40. He also had a high paying executive job in Silicon Valley and didn't really need the money.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/05/software-exec-charged-in-lego-bar-code-scam/
http://abcnews.go.com/US/silicon-valley-executive-busted-lego-scam-retail-ticket/story?id=16418944

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter