• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this doable? Trip to ATL & then MCO before home to PA?

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
My brother lives in Atlanta, and for years I've been promising a visit. I am ready to book a mini-trip from Philly to ATL for the last week in October since rates are pretty good right now. Then it hit me! Why don't I make it a double-trip instead?!

I (along with my two kids 9 & 10) could go from Philly to ATL for 4 nights and then fly to MCO and spend 3 nights/4 days in Disney before flying home from there. The flight rates only go up about $75 pp. But..... is this trip gonna be the death of me and my kids?! And I haven't planned a disney trip in awhile. How much is it going to cost for tickets and rooms for 3 nights/4 days? I'm almost too scared to ask. We eat like birds. so that's not a biggie.

I think I need a reality check. ;)

I'd be in the camp of people who will say you need a reality check, unfortunately. The only difference between doing what you propose and simply having two separate trips is the cost of a single leg of airfare.

Another angle to look at it, is I don't know that I'd want to spend four nights visiting family along with two children who will be itching to get out of there and go to Disney.

I get the sense that the close geographic proximity of ATL and MCO provides the illusion that this will somehow save all sorts of time and money. Sure, there would be some savings, but it's small relative to the overall cost of the Disney portion of the trip.

Atlanta isn't a bad drive to Orlando. Why don't you see if your brother would be willing to come down and spend part of your week with you in Orlando? You could make it the weekend if he can't get off work.

Or he could fly down. You could probably find a cheap flight for him.

Sheila

We did this exact thing last year and we are maybe 4 hours from you in Rochester. We flew to ATL had fun there then flew to MCO and on to Disney for 6 days. We have two kids and the both did fine loved both legs of the trip. Next year we will do the same but the drive time from ATL to Orlando is not that bad and since our LO will be 5 by then we have decided to drive from ATL to Orlando. Cost IDK can't help there but you can check rates and specials see if free dinning is going on at all or a room discount.

I say skip Atlanta, you aren't missing anything, and spend more time at Disney.

Suzanne

I say skip Atlanta, you aren't missing anything, and spend more time at Disney.

Suzanne

Keep in mind though, the whole point of the trip to ATL was to visit family, and was the impetus for the entire discussion. OP was asking about possibly adding on the Disney component, the idea being since they'd be down that general direction anyway.

Keep in mind though, the whole point of the trip to ATL was to visit family, and was the impetus for the entire discussion. OP was asking about possibly adding on the Disney component, the idea being since they'd be down that general direction anyway.

I read her post. I'd still go to Disney instead, but that is just me.

Suzanne

I have family in Atlanta also.

I always invite them to WDW when Im there. They'd much rather come see me at WDW then me go there and have to entertain and board us.

My DB is driving from Michigan to spend 3 nights with us at WDW then he will drive to ATL and visit DSis and Family on the way home.

I think it's a great plan. I always try to combine business with pleasure!:rotfl:

To answer the part of your question about the lodging/tickets:

4-day base tickets for 2 guests 10+ and one child 3-9: approx $717.

3 nights at Pop: Fri/Sat nights are $105 each, Sun-Thurs, $95 each, plus 12.5% tax.

So, you're looking at an extra $1000+ in lodging and tickets. Even if you're not big eaters, you'll still probably spend $75+ per day on food (just counter-service).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter