Is this a solid or unwise plan for Christmas week?

100acreHiker

Fallen down the Disney rabbit hole...
We will be staying at WL for a few days between Christmas and New Years (arriving 26th, leaving 31st). Only plan to go into the parks 3 evenings/nights (maybe rope drop one morning). Is it a wise or unwise plan to go into the park from dinner time on? My concern is that they might close the parks due to capacity limits being reached earlier in the day? I am sort of hoping that things will thin out a bit at night as many families with little kids will go to bed, etc. But if we hold off, i don't want to be denied entry. I was planning to book our FPs for evening hours. Would I be denied entry with FPs booked and/or reservations for dinner? Anyone with Christmas week experience, please advise! We are Disney veterans w/ ten trips under our belts but have only gone in early Dec, Nov or late April.

My concern is that they might close the parks due to capacity limits being reached earlier in the day?
That's not going to happen
I am sort of hoping that things will thin out a bit at night as many families with little kids will go to bed, etc.
That's not going to happen, either.

If you're fine with not doing much in the parks, it's a perfectly fine plan.

Personally, if I'm spending that kind of money, I want to spend the majority of time in the parks.

Based upon our experience last year that week, it isn't a great plan. You won't get shut out of the parks, but honestly the parks get busier as the day wears on and people don't leave enough where it makes a difference. Mornings are your best friend.

I was there at that time in 2018-9. What we found was the parks were packed beyond belief, with mornings being lighter than nights. We actually hit a phased closing on New Years Eve, but for the Magic Kingdom only. We were in Epcot that day and didn't get a pop-up from the app until after we had heard people talking about it. If there were other closings, we were unaffected.

On your first day, concentrate on only FastPasses and events like parades and fireworks. Walk, shop, enjoy. It will help you retain your sanity for the week. On the last day, pick a special place for a meal. It doesn't have to be the best place, but a place for photos and memories. Again, sanity saving. You are taking a moment to say goodbye.

My suggestion on the FP's is get early afternoon passes, then try to roll a new one all evening long. Forget about getting a E ticket FastPasses once you use up your first batch. When the park opens, you are good for one ride, maybe 2. A little breakfast, site seeing and a second or third ride gets you to lunchtime. Then your FP+ kicks in and you are good until dinner time. Then start rolling those passes while you eat. They won't be great, but they are better than nothing.

Remember, there are problems and mistakes to be had and made this week. We had a FastPass for Spaceship Earth and something went very wrong. The FastPass line was longer than standing in the regular line. It went all the way around Spaceship Earth. There was a certain amount of Christmas Time Hamminess going on, where people were getting in the line on purpose to get a picture or a laugh, rather than to really wait or figure it out. They offered us 2 FastPasses to make up for the obvious glitch (via the app), but the only rides available were The Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk and one or two others. The take away on this is, there is zero capacity to fix a FastPass issue during this week.

Another thing that stands out to me is the parades and such. Go get in a line when these start. The lines dip a bit that these times, but more importantly, you aren't trying to navigate an area packed to a capacity AND a parade crowd. If you are watching youtube videos about Christmas Time Crowds, they all seem to filmed in the mad minutes after a parade or other event to make it look more crowded. Don't watch the youtube videos. It isn't that packed, it's "differently packed".

One thing I will tell you is, if you are interested in Epcot's Candle Light Processional, it is rather hit or miss. Not the performance but the actual crowd. We had a dinner package with tickets for it, but the seating area wasn't full (about 2/3 to 3/4 for the whole show). At first I got mad that I paid extra for a thing that wasn't "a thing", but then Christmas mode kicked in and I was cool with it. What you should take away from this is, if you don't have the time/money to get the package, sometimes, perhaps very rarely, you can walk up at showtime and get a seat. It isn't a great plan but if you hit Epcot a couple of times on your trip, you might be able to skip the dinner package AND the standby line. It is very opportunistic thing, so I wouldn't count on it, but keep the show times handy and check. It is very far from guaranteed but if you can pull this off, you will be a legend for the week.

Wait. you said Wilderness Lodge, right? Ok, at Christmas that place is decked out so nicely you are going to want to wake up early and look around the resort. I missed it, but we traveled from All Star Music just to see it and take the tour. Missed the tour but worth the walk-a-round. I'd suggest an early breakfast there, perhaps on your last day, if you don't mean to hit a park.

In our experience, the crowds just get bigger and bigger as the day goes on. Personally, I would flip your plans and do RD, then go back and enjoy your resort later in the day. Especially staying at WL, there is so much to do - visit Ft. W, boat to CR and visit the e monorail resorts, etc. With reservations, you will not be denied entrance to the parks unless it’s phase 4 which is very unlikely, but it will be crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter