• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this a crazy idea?

I had my first solo trip last year. It was 3 nights at Universal for the Orlando Informer Meetup. First off, if you only want to do the 2 theme parks (not Volcano Bay) and don't want to buy Express, that is the way to go. It's only 4 weekends a year so timing is an issue. I did meet my parents for dinner on my first night (we went to Whispering Canyon Cafe), but after that I was solo. Loved it. I hope to take my daughter in 2023 to one of these weekends.

As my wife has had enough of theme parks (we went a bunch since we've been together) I am going solo for my 50th bday this year. It's going to be all WDW, 8 nights (4 at AS Music and 4 at Bay Lake). I am going end of September into October. I was struggling with this, but decided I needed to as I have yet to step foot in Galaxy's Edge, not to mention MMRR, Guardians and Remy.

If you can do it, do it.

I say go for it! I'd been contemplating a solo trip for years and finally took the plunge in October 2019. I booked the whole trip only about a month out so that I wouldn't have time to change my mind, lol! Once 2020 arrived and I realized just how uncertain life can be, I was even more glad I did it! Those memories really helped me through a long stretch of not being able to travel. I've been to WDW many times but I will always hold a special place for that solo trip and hope to do it again.

I love my WDW solo trips, dare I say maybe even more than my trips with my son. I tend to do split stays, a couple of days at a value then move over to an Epcot resort. I'm guessing the last 7 trips have been at the Swan/Dolphin just because it is way less than the WDW resorts but I've stayed at all the Epcot ones. The August trip will be a split with 2 nights at the Swan and 4 nights at the YC. I don't plan on going again until probably next April and I'm probably going to end up having to stay at a moderate or Swan/Dolphin if I can get that for less, so I'm going big this trip and staying at my all time favorite resort, YC.
What are your dates in August? I am doing a solo trip as well from the 21st to the 28th and am always up for a Dismeet! :)

I am seriously considering my first solo trip to WDW next fall. My family either won’t seriously commit, wants to wait a few more years or else just doesn’t like to travel (DH). But I will be 68 by then and don’t want to wait any longer. I have been to WDW 8 times before so I am not a complete rookie. I will be travelling from western Canada so I figured 8 days or so for WDW and USF. I would love your opinions, comments and suggestions please!
Don't wait! Go! Life is short. I am 79 and I just got back from 2 weeks there, one with my daughter and one solo. I had a wonderful time! I drove there and back from Chicago (I like to drive) and both down and back were awesome journeys. My friends, some younger, are getting 'bad diagnoses' and are scared half to death, so do what you can now. If you want to go...just go. You never know what will happen down the road.

Go! And why are you waiting a year and a half if you want to go? I can give good and bad reasons for every month at WDW. The only times I personally view as a no-go for me are the weeks before and after Easter because of the peak crowds and lack of other reasons to excite me about going those two weeks.

Two different folks, one in their mid 80’s and one in their low 90’s, who loved to travel have encouraged me to travel as much as I can/want while I still have the health to do so. Both of them feel like they “waited until later” too much when it came to travel and health issues hampered what they could manage as they got older.
That second paragraph echos what I've heard in the past. One financial advisor was quoted a saying many of his clients could easily financially travel in their 70's or later but the travel itself wore them out too much to enjoy it. If you have bucket list items you want to do don't wait till you are tool old to be able to enjoy them.

That second paragraph echos what I've heard in the past. One financial advisor was quoted a saying many of his clients could easily financially travel in their 70's or later but the travel itself wore them out too much to enjoy it. If you have bucket list items you want to do don't wait till you are tool old to be able to enjoy them.
You can still travel, even if it 'wears you out'. Just take more time getting there. If you usually drive 10 hours, do 5 or 6. Spend the night in a nice motel and relax and have a nice dinner. It is the journey as well as the destination. Attitude about travel is the difference between having a good time or not.

I just got back from a solo trip and had the best time. I was going to FL to get together with some girlfriends and wanted to visit the parks in my spare time.

I had such a good time that my husband and I are thinking of going back in late February.

There are so many changes in the parks since I last visited in Dec 2017. I think I need a full year to figure out the ropes! Why am I waiting more than a year? Well, I like to go in Oct or Nov and this year just seems very busy. In Feb I am planning a trip to Hawaii with two sisters so I thought Oct 2023 would be a good time. Suggestions on where to stay? I was thinking Pop since I am Canadian and the exchange rate is never good. I do love the Port Orleans resorts, though! A few questions for all you solo travellers:
- how many days is too many? I would like about 10 as it takes all day to fly there from western Canada but then I am worried I will get lonely if I stay too long
- I would like to spend a night or two at Universal as well for the express pass. Have never stayed there, just commutEd from WDW. Hotel suggestion?
- stupid question here but what do you do at a restaurant if you need to leave the table to use the restroom or to get napkins or condiments? Do you leave something on the table to indicate that you are not finished yet?
-how far ahead can I book WDW resorts?

Thanks everyone! I am really going to go! It has been such a long time…😃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter