• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this a crazy idea?

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
I am seriously considering my first solo trip to WDW next fall. My family either won’t seriously commit, wants to wait a few more years or else just doesn’t like to travel (DH). But I will be 68 by then and don’t want to wait any longer. I have been to WDW 8 times before so I am not a complete rookie. I will be travelling from western Canada so I figured 8 days or so for WDW and USF. I would love your opinions, comments and suggestions please!

I am seriously considering my first solo trip to WDW next fall. My family either won’t seriously commit, wants to wait a few more years or else just doesn’t like to travel (DH). But I will be 68 by then and don’t want to wait any longer. I have been to WDW 8 times before so I am not a complete rookie. I will be travelling from western Canada so I figured 8 days or so for WDW and USF. I would love your opinions, comments and suggestions please!
Consider an annual pass for Universal Studios over a regular ticket, even for a single trip. The discounts quickly add up, and outside of a premier pass, you can easily break even in only 2-3 days. Plus, on the Studios side, you'll have access to the Passholders Lounge in the hot Florida sun, definitely a nice respite.

Solo trips are great, especially if you're doing both parks in the week.

I agree with the suggestion to get a Universal annual pass, since they come with really good hotel and in-park discounts. Depending on how many days you want to do at Universal, it also might be worth staying on-site there. All the resorts have quick transportation to the parks and early entry.

Lots of us go solo as adults and have a great time!

Those of us who have been looking for Universal AP hotel discounts lately have been very disappointed. Can't necessarily recommend an AP for a one-off trip (IF you can find an AP discount first then you can buy an AP after you book it)

Did my first solo trip last fall at age 63. I loved it. I’ve done two more solo trips and am secretly hoping to do another in the fall. DH likes WDW but really dislikes flying and isn’t too thrilled with driving either so I go with him about every third trip.

I wanted to see just how comfortable and competent I was on my own. The answer is VERY. I usually stay at the Swan or Dolphin so I can use their transportation to EPCOT and HS. It’s more expensive than staying off-site but DH says he worries less with me avoiding freeway driving.

I go solo often, 65 year old. Hubby hates to travel, son has his own family now. I went 3 times last year, two of those were solo. I've been once solo this year and will going back in August solo. My son and I have been going since he was just shy of 3, he is 41 now. Most years until he was adult, just he and I. Some years my Mama went with us. After he became an adult a couple of times his girlfriend/wife (different women, wife now ex) came with us. About 10 years ago I started going solo because it was safe and at the time I was looking, actually less expensive then the other places I would go solo.

I have not been to Universal solo, or even within the last 10 or 15 years (or more) so I can't speak to that.

I love my WDW solo trips, dare I say maybe even more than my trips with my son. I tend to do split stays, a couple of days at a value then move over to an Epcot resort. I'm guessing the last 7 trips have been at the Swan/Dolphin just because it is way less than the WDW resorts but I've stayed at all the Epcot ones. The August trip will be a split with 2 nights at the Swan and 4 nights at the YC. I don't plan on going again until probably next April and I'm probably going to end up having to stay at a moderate or Swan/Dolphin if I can get that for less, so I'm going big this trip and staying at my all time favorite resort, YC.

I never thought of getting an annual pass for Universal but I will look 8n to it, for sure. The express pass would sure be nice. I would likely only spend 1 or 2 days at Universal as I think I need 6 at WDW. Any longer and I think I may get too lonely. Shorter does not make sense since it takes me a whole day to get there and another to get home again. I am thinking Oct 2023. Thought on this time?

Not a scare post, just a reality. I will be 74 next month. About 5 months ago something went wrong in my spinal column. I now have trouble walking, balance and hands that are not restrictive but always a pain (literally). My last trip was at 71 and although I was having minor problems with mobility at the time, it was nothing like right now. If you can afford it and really want to go (I did around 8 trips there previous to that solo and had a great time). My advice is don't pass up the opportunity. You might be fine for many years but as we all age, things get a lot more iffy health wise. Three words... Go, Go, Go!

I go solo often, 65 year old. Hubby hates to travel, son has his own family now. I went 3 times last year, two of those were solo. I've been once solo this year and will going back in August solo. My son and I have been going since he was just shy of 3, he is 41 now. Most years until he was adult, just he and I. Some years my Mama went with us. After he became an adult a couple of times his girlfriend/wife (different women, wife now ex) came with us. About 10 years ago I started going solo because it was safe and at the time I was looking, actually less expensive then the other places I would go solo.

I have not been to Universal solo, or even within the last 10 or 15 years (or more) so I can't speak to that.

I love my WDW solo trips, dare I say maybe even more than my trips with my son. I tend to do split stays, a couple of days at a value then move over to an Epcot resort. I'm guessing the last 7 trips have been at the Swan/Dolphin just because it is way less than the WDW resorts but I've stayed at all the Epcot ones. The August trip will be a split with 2 nights at the Swan and 4 nights at the YC. I don't plan on going again until probably next April and I'm probably going to end up having to stay at a moderate or Swan/Dolphin if I can get that for less, so I'm going big this trip and staying at my all time favorite resort, YC.
Universal is great as a solo. I highly recommend a visit.

Should you want to make ADRs as a solo I suggest you always book for 2. Some of the TS locations have a minimum and won't show any availability for one. I do this and then just check-in as one. Never have an issue.

I never thought of getting an annual pass for Universal but I will look 8n to it, for sure. The express pass would sure be nice. I would likely only spend 1 or 2 days at Universal as I think I need 6 at WDW. Any longer and I think I may get too lonely. Shorter does not make sense since it takes me a whole day to get there and another to get home again. I am thinking Oct 2023. Thought on this time?
October is a great time for Disney and Universal. If you like scary things, definitely go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. It's nothing like Disney's.

You can cover both Universal parks in 1 day, but if you like thrill rides you should really take 2 days and get Express for one of them.

Another vote for "Go!"
I love my solo Disney trips. I haven't done a solo trip to Universal Studios yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if the opportunity presented itself!

I have done 2 trips solo. Loved both of them. There is something freeing of not having to compromise on anything.

Not a scare post, just a reality. I will be 74 next month. About 5 months ago something went wrong in my spinal column. I now have trouble walking, balance and hands that are not restrictive but always a pain (literally). My last trip was at 71 and although I was having minor problems with mobility at the time, it was nothing like right now. If you can afford it and really want to go (I did around 8 trips there previous to that solo and had a great time). My advice is don't pass up the opportunity. You might be fine for many years but as we all age, things get a lot more iffy health wise. Three words... Go, Go, Go!
My health has been on my mind lso as I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is the worst in my feet. I figure I’d I don’t go next year, I may have missed my opportunity. I have never used a scooter but if I need to, say, on my Epcot day, I will. My biggest concern is my health - what if something happens while I am there and I don’t have anyone to help me? I am Canadian so that throws another wrench in if I get sick but I will get really good health travel insurance.

My health has been on my mind lso as I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is the worst in my feet. I figure I’d I don’t go next year, I may have missed my opportunity. I have never used a scooter but if I need to, say, on my Epcot day, I will. My biggest concern is my health - what if something happens while I am there and I don’t have anyone to help me? I am Canadian so that throws another wrench in if I get sick but I will get really good health travel insurance.
I used one in 2019 and it was a godsend. I enjoyed all the parks and always felt good at the end of the day. If you need one, rent one from offsite they are much cheaper and much better over all. I encourage you to use one.

If Mr J ever decides he's not interested in going then I'll be going solo, no question. I would stick with familiar places, like staying at Pop. Mr J was in the military so I'm used to being on my own while he was away, so going to WDW alone isn't such a daunting idea.

Go! And why are you waiting a year and a half if you want to go? I can give good and bad reasons for every month at WDW. The only times I personally view as a no-go for me are the weeks before and after Easter because of the peak crowds and lack of other reasons to excite me about going those two weeks.

Two different folks, one in their mid 80’s and one in their low 90’s, who loved to travel have encouraged me to travel as much as I can/want while I still have the health to do so. Both of them feel like they “waited until later” too much when it came to travel and health issues hampered what they could manage as they got older.

I’m younger than you and I’ve had two major trips canceled by other life crises, one financial and one health based. And one never materialized because I was waiting for my partner to commit and then the opportunity unexpectedly disappeared faster than expected. Learned my lesson and I’m not delaying adventures for the future.

Okay, I admit COVID slowed my planning for a couple of years, but I picked an adventure for this summer that matches my risk tolerance and I’m very excited! Though I watch its costs go up daily as gas prices rise….but I can still make it work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter