Is This a Bittersweet or Sad Holiday for Anyone Else?

It's a sad thread, but I read every post. I know writing these things down helps you through it, but it also serves as a very valuable reminder to all of us to cherish each holiday and the time spent with our families and friends while they are around.

:hug:

This made me tear up, too. I talked about my grandma passing away, just days after Christmas a few posts up. December 23, 2006 is the last day I saw her alive. She was at the annual Christmas party that my parents have every year, and she was so animated and talkative with everyone, and she made the comment to my aunt and uncle on the way home how much she had enjoyed having this opportunity to be with every one. Being this talkative was out of character for her as her hearing was really bad due to radiation treatments to her skull. my mom is sure that she knew this was the end.

I had been a bit of a social butterfly that night and only spent a few minutes visiting with her thinking we would be celebrating Christmas with her in just a few days. She collapsed the next day and never woke up. While I am glad that my last memory of her is of her being at a Christmas party, had I known that was the last time I would talk to her, I wouldn't have left her side. i struggle with this regret, and it is intesified at Christmas.

Christmas hasn't been the same since my Mom passed away in '97 but I know she would still want me to enjoy the season. We are much more low key now. No big gatherings, not a ton of presents, and just celebrating the true meaning of the season. The bittersweet part for me is the decorating of the tree. Many of the ornaments on it used to belong to her. So I'm filled with happy memories but also the sadness that she isn't here to share it with any longer.

:hug: to all those having a hard time this holiday season.

It's a sad thread, but I read every post. I know writing these things down helps you through it, but it also serves as a very valuable reminder to all of us to cherish each holiday and the time spent with our families and friends while they are around.

How right you are! I'm off now to meet my DH and youngest DD for a special dinner and will probably be giving them lots of hugs and sloppy kisses. I most likely won't be back on the boards until next week.

Thank you again to all of you who let me open up; hugs to all with that same sense of sadness as I have; and best wishes for the rest of the holiday season to all. May we all find comfort and love in those people around us that we cherish.

It has been a rough year but I was still hopeful for a good Christmas. We have been in the ER all day (since around 8 am) because my mom is sick. At one point I was sitting in the hall way just sobbing. You know those gut wretching sobs when you can't breath and probably half the hospital heard me. I have to smile now when I think about because I must have been such a sorry sight. I do think she will be alright. She is being brought to the hospital in the town we live so I am glad we can sleep in our own bed tonight. (We didn't follow the ambulance and I am actually getting a little worried as I haven't heard she arrived. We had to go pack her bag etc) She lives 3 hours away and that is where she was in the hospital today. A local community group put on a free Christmas dinner at the hopsital. I really appreciate how people donated their time on Chrismtas day.

I am not a poster who really knows anyone else but you may remember that she was hospitalized the first night of our Disney trip in August. My stepfather passed away in April. My boyfriend is currently laid off. I feel so drained. On and a few weeks ago I cancelled our Disney cruise for next December because of the financial issue.

We did get to watch the Disney parade from the hospital waiting room. Part of me also thought the heck with and I will be charging a trip for next year so we can be at Disney for Christmas :) I won't really do it but I can dream.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know it could be worse but it still sucks.

That is so true.

This was a very hard Christmas for DH (well the whole family). He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer the end of Sept and had surgery to remove the tumor on Oct 3rd. We are very hopeful that the Chemo and clinical trial drug will keep the cancer at bay (the tumor was fully removed), but there is still a small doubt and worry in the back of his mind about the future. He wants to be here for many Christmas' to come, but there is still the worry if the treatment will work. We had our tears over it last night after the kids had gone to bed. He still had more this morning watching the kids open their gifts.

I'm sorry to everyone have a rough season for whatever reason it may be. I feel like my life fell apart a few weeks ago and the more I try to put it back together the more I realize it's just not gonna happen that fast.

I wish you all a great rest of 2008 and an GREAT 2009!!!

Every year is for me since my mom passed away 9 yrs ago. Not only did we have to deal with losing her but she died very closed to Christmas, Dec 13.
This year we lost my grandma and her birthday was Dec 9.

Bittersweet.

My grandmother, who spent a great deal of time raising me while my mother battled cancer, has very little time left.

She recognizes me but cannot speak. She will not eat. She nods when I tell her that I love her and when I kiss her goodbye.

I was really hoping to have a three-generation picture: me, her and my baby.
I'm devastated my child will never know her. :sad1:
She was a wonderful woman who loved me unconditionally... :hug:

The festive season was a bit sad for us this year too. We lost my Dad three years ago (I was only 17) so Christmas hasn't been the same since. Then my Fiance's mother recently got diagnosed with breast cancer and she was having surgery on Christmas eve..... It meant we were on edge through the whole evening until we knew she was okay......

To you all who have had a bittersweet season, :hug: :hug: :hug:

Bob xoxoxox

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter