Is there such a thing as too long of a trip?

moymo

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
My hubby has a conference at WDW so we will head down on 6/25 and he will spend the next 4 days in and out of conference. We were thinking of coming back on 7/3 because of prices of hotels and air going up for 7/4 weekend and the crowds.... But...we are so vacation hungry right now, we are thinking about coming back 7/5. That would make it a 10 night trip. Is that too long to be away? We have a 3 and 7 yo boys. We have been many times with them but this would be the longest trip yet.

Seems silly to ask, but we don't want to spend all this extra money just to have everyone not happy by the end.

Thanks!

IMHO you can never get too much Disney. We went last February for 14 nights - one thing that I found necessary was to have a suite. Otherwise I think 3 of us living in 1 room for that long would have made us all crazy. We got a great deal on a suite at the Sheraton Safari, right outside the DTD area. With a suite, my DS then 4 yo could have some time alone and be asleep in bed while DH and myself stayed up, watching tv without worrying about waking him. We are doing it again this year - the same time as you, arriving on June 22 and leaving July 5. Our first week will be at a 2 BR timeshare so we can spread out and the second week in a GV room at the GF. We can handle 7 nights together in the same room easily. Good luck! I'll have my lime green ribbon on my backpack so maybe we will run into each other!:)

moymo...Welcome to the DIS FB!! :)

Actually I think that's a good length of stay.LOTS of time to hang out,relax...see all the little things you might be in too much of rush to notice on shorter trips.Also being July in ....lots of POOL TIME!!

My son,Erich and I spent 15 days one trip,my now ex left me, and I needed the time AWAY from reality! We had annual passes and some days Erich and I would hang around the pool then hop on over to EPCOT to just have dinner.I also met up with some DIS friends and a childhood friend of mine works at WDW so I had visiting to do too.

There's plenty to see and do that's for sure,but also spend some days or evenings playing games in the room or just vegging in front of the tv!

If you're lucky enough to have the chance to spend that many days on vacation I say
GO FOR IT!!!! :teeth:

p.s. 5 weeks after that stay we went back to WDW with my Mom and spent 5 days there between Christmas and NYE .

Yes I'm a Disney addict!!:p

if you visit the UK boards on here, you will find that most of us vacation for 14 nights - that's a "normal" vacation length over here, and if we are travelling all the way to Orlando we wouldn't like to come for any less time.

I have stayed in both a hotel room and an apartment for 14 nights (in fact many hotel rooms, and one apartment), and while I do prefer the apartment, we have had great vacations in hotel rooms. The apartment makes for a relaxing trip though and it seems to work out a lot cheaper for longer stays.

What we do is we get a long pass (we can get a 10 day pass in the UK, I don't think that's an option for you), or an AP even, and then we try and relax and take things at a slower pace - although we are quite likely to visit a park nearly every day, we won't stay ALL Day, we will either arrive early and leave after lunch, or maybe not even arrive until 6pm one evening and stay till closing.

We also like to do other things, like go shopping (probably not a big deal for you, but a real treat for us as you have different things and the prices are great), visit Universal/IOA/Seaworld, Kennedy Space Center, Cypress Gardens (which I believe has now closed :( )

I would certainly go for 10 days - you'll have a blast!"

Bev

You all should see the smile on my face as I read your posts. I feel fortified to go veg out now! Thanks for the great advice. It seems the key is to just relax and be ON VACATION and not have an agenda the whole time.

Great suggestions!

Thanks again...off to buy airline tickets. :D

Just to add my 2 cents, we've been on the road with our 4 DD's for as long as 6 weeks! We still loved each other once we arrived back home and had some great memories to boot. Go, enjoy! :D :p :Pinkbounc

We went for 8 days last year and it just wasnt enough, we flew in around 2pm and left at 10 the last day. We went in June when it was hot so we wish we had more time to just relax and veg. We rushed everything and did not have a good time. Well okay, we did but it would have more enjoyable for everyone if we had more time to relax. This time we have 2 full weeks booked at a 2brm condo about 15 minutes away and can't wait! We will have plenty of time for the parks (we are planning 2 days at MK, 1/2 at Epcot and 1/2 at AK and then just MGM to run in and see Buzz and Woody... we didnt really enjoy this park last time.... and then we will do at least 2 days at the water parks). I want one Sea World day. So thats 6 days. I am sure we will hit the parks at least once more, just trying to figure out how many free tickets we get this year. We will have a new baby and personally with 4 kids under 6, I want some time for ME just to sit and relax by a pool and enjoy the gorgeous weather. So go and enjoy... and take it easy! Steph mom to Sam 6, Megan 4, Grace 2 and #4 24w5d

Sounds like a good trip to me. We normally go for atleast 9 days.
We do Disney for 7 days and US/IOA for 2 and I always wish a had a couple of extra days.

I spent 7 days in WDW last summer with my daughter and 2 grandkids ... when I woke up on the 7th day my feet were still aching from the prior day's activities ... so I figure 7 days is my limit, LOL!

But if I had the vacation time and money I'd go for a month!

Not really an opinion to offer you, but just wanted to relate a conversation I overheard one day in the ladies room at the Crystal Palace.....

I was washing my hands when a mother and her young daughter (around 4 years old) came into the ladies room. The mother seemed quite flustered and quickly rushed her DD into the stall. All the time, she was muttering and sputtering: "4 days of THIS is just about enough! I can't WAIT to get back home!" I guess everyone has their limit!!!

Sammy

I'm with everyone that said 7 days is not too much. We always arrive on Saturday and leave the following Sunday. Last year at Easter we took my 76 year old grandmother (was in good health at the time) and my then almost 2 year old. My grandmother was sick of WDW by the 3rd day, but the 2 year old was just fine.

I think that when you stay for more than 3 or 4 days you need to make sure you leave enough time to sit and relax. We made sure that we slept in each morning we wanted and then came back to the room in the afternoon to allow the oldest and youngest could get some rest. My mom was also with us, so she would stay with grandma and DS so that I could go shop or ride rides and not think about being a mommy for a couple of hours.

We have already made our ressies for November and my DS will be 3 and 1/2 by then but I don't know if I can wait that long!!

Have fun on your trip!!!
tara

Originally posted by Sammy
I was washing my hands when a mother and her young daughter (around 4 years old) came into the ladies room. The mother seemed quite flustered and quickly rushed her DD into the stall. All the time, she was muttering and sputtering: "4 days of THIS is just about enough! I can't WAIT to get back home!" I guess everyone has their limit!!!

Sammy

It's hard to believe, but some folks just don't like WDW ... my SIL and famiily went to Disney during Christmas break in 2001 ... one of her daughters was cheerleading at a football game (Orange Bowl) ... SIL, BIL and all three girls HATED it ... too crowded, too cold, lines too long. My thought was that they didn't pre-plan the trip very well or realize that the crowds are AWFUL at Christmas and the weather cool.

Cheryl

Originally posted by Memaw2Wm
It's hard to believe, but some folks just don't like WDW ... my SIL and famiily went to Disney during Christmas break in 2001 ... one of her daughters was cheerleading at a football game (Orange Bowl) ... SIL, BIL and all three girls HATED it ... too crowded, too cold, lines too long. My thought was that they didn't pre-plan the trip very well or realize that the crowds are AWFUL at Christmas and the weather cool.

Cheryl

Yeah....I was really surprised by that mother's comments. The day I overheard it was our 2nd to last day at Disney (total of 10 days), and I STILL wasn't ready to leave!!

I would love to plan a 2-week stay, but that would mean a trip during the Summer.....don't think I could handle that much heat/humidity!

That thing about Disney being too cold in December cracked me up!! A lot of people think all of Florida is 90 degrees year 'round. In the Keyes maybe!!! My husband was raised in Jacksonville, a little more north, and we lived there for many years. People up here are surprised when I tell them we did not wear shorts or swim year 'round! Warm compared to Chicago YES. But the fall, winter, and spring can still be pretty cool in most of Florida!!

Our public school district has a way for students to take assignments with them and get full credit by being on "short term home study" for a period of 2 to 6 weeks. In other words, in order for my kids to get grade credit, keep up with classwork, and for the district to keep full attendence based funding we just HAVE to go for at least 2 weeks. ;) You never saw kids do homework so fast !!!

I may be mistaken, but isn't it California that was giving the home schoolers all sorts of problems?! And now looky here, they twist the law a bit to get their own pockets lined with $$$. Shame on them. (Glad it helped you, though, Aubrey!)

Well, to their credit or discredit, I have to say that no one at the school district ever told me about this, I had to find out how to do it on my own and once I did, I was more than happy to have the kids keep up with class while getting the $$$ support for my public elementary school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter