Is there anything more depressing than a kids menu?

I just love a judgy thread right before the holidays :rolleyes: Everyone is different. I am sure that there are many things parents on this thread are doing with their families that other parents would completely disagree with. I can understand the want/need for a variety of dishes, ie more adult-like and bland/kid-like, on the kids menu. Both are possible. Is there anything more depressing than this thread:confused3 Other than famine, genocide, war, poverty, child abuse.

For real. The title of this thread is hyperbole at its best. I can give 100 examples of things more depressing than kids menus. Some people need to gain perspective.

I never said to get rid of that stuff, I am just asking for a variety. Why is that so hard to understand? You say kids "need" those foods, but there are kids that don't do well on those processed foods and need healthier options. Right now, the best option is to order an adult meal for them, but those are big portions. Not one person has given a valid reason to not have a couple of healthier options on the menu at every quick service restaurant.

Why haven't you conceded that there ARE plenty of healthier kids menus on property? Because there are.

I never said to get rid of that stuff, I am just asking for a variety. Why is that so hard to understand? You say kids "need" those foods, but there are kids that don't do well on those processed foods and need healthier options. Right now, the best option is to order an adult meal for them, but those are big portions. Not one person has given a valid reason to not have a couple of healthier options on the menu at every quick service restaurant.

There is more variety at pretty much every restaurant, as has been pointed out. You just need to look at menus to find what suits your family best.

Another random assortment:
BOG - beef tenderloin, grilled chicken
50s Prime Time - salmon, grilled chicken
Tiffins - grilled shrimp, beef tacos, grilled chicken
Chefs de France - grilled chicken, salmon

I was all about the chicken tenders at restaurants well into my teens. I also ate what my mom cooked at home 99% of the time.

My problem is having paying for twice the amount of food I want, because that's the only way to get the food I want, then throw half of what I paid for away, because the portion's way too big.

Yeah well it's because it's the adult menu.
Box up the other half and bring it with you.
Or order something that comes in a small portion like an appetizer for your kid.
Or order off the kid's menu.
Lots of choices for you, not the restaurants problem that you don't like any of them.

I find that it always pays to think outside the box. When it was DH, DD7 and me on our first trip, we discussed what we wanted while waiting in line at the QS. We quickly figured out we could order 2 adult meals and one kids meal and share/swap sides to make everyone happy. Sometimes we just got 2 adult meals with extra sides and made everyone happy. Similarly in later years with just DD and myself at ages 9, 11, 13 and 14, we were able to mix and match meals, apps, and sides to make each of us happy without feeling like she was ever limited to burger, nuggets, mac n cheese or that she couldn't order salads, fish, steak or anything else that struck her fancy. We always included TS and buffets which add variety and have many more non-stereotypical choices for kids.

We do this at home, too. "Mom, can you add shrimp tails to your steak order and share your salad and I'll just order a bowl of soup." Sure, no problem!

There is more variety at pretty much every restaurant, as has been pointed out. You just need to look at menus to find what suits your family best.

Another random assortment:
BOG - beef tenderloin, grilled chicken
50s Prime Time - salmon, grilled chicken
Tiffins - grilled shrimp, beef tacos, grilled chicken
Chefs de France - grilled chicken, salmon

I was all about the chicken tenders at restaurants well into my teens. I also ate what my mom cooked at home 99% of the time.

I said numerous times that we are talking about counter service. I'm done, you all are unreal.

I give my kids a hard enough time about eating healthy at home. If I’m blowing a year’s worth of their potential college(or bail) money on a vacation they can have motor oil and old shoes for every meal and I do t even care 😂
Your response is very funny.

If you don't have bail money than they will enjoy more nutritious food longer than is available at WDW. Win-Win

I said numerous times that we are talking about counter service. I'm done, you all are unreal.

So go to the QS places that have decent adult food, which have also been pointed out. They have more healthy options now than they did when I was a kid.

La Cantina - cheese empanada, grilled chicken tacos
Satuli - any of the bowls
Pecos Bill - chicken and rice or carnitas and rice bowl
ABC Commissary - turkey sandwich, pork taco, ham and cheese

My son just turned two and will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him right now. We are very lucky in that respect. Sometimes I share whatever I'm eating with him, sometimes I order him a kids meal. He has a big appetite so usually it depends on if I'm really hungry, too. :D I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the options at Disney. Sure there's the usual kids fare, but there's also the Mickey check meals. If you order counter service, you can sometimes get fruit instead of fries. I've found that the counter service places that ONLY have junky kids meals are the kind that tend to have junky adult food, like Cosmic Rays. Columbia Harbor House has kids fish. Pecos Bill has kids bowls. Same with Satuli. (I get a kids bowl for myself!) Docking Bay 7 doesn't have "normal" food. Sunshine Seasons has rotisserie chicken and green beans. Trust me, it's all there! And if the complaint is that the quick services meals don't have good kids options, well, the typical quick service meals aren't healthy to begin with.

Also, Epcot is pretty much a year-round festival, so treat your kid to festival food. It's small portions and cheaper!

Guess you're one of the lucky ones whose kids will eat anything... good for you.

I disagree with this. It is not "luck" that I never even introduced those foods to them. They did not know that mac and cheese and chicken nuggets existed when they were young so there was no way that they could "only" want to eat them. Only when they go older and started going to their grandma's house did they get introduced to them and it made them sick every single time.

I disagree with this. It is not "luck" that I never even introduced those foods to them. They did not know that mac and cheese and chicken nuggets existed when they were young so there was no way that they could "only" want to eat them. Only when they go older and started going to their grandma's house did they get introduced to them and it made them sick every single time.
You made your choices. Other parents make theirs. One is not better than the other.

Hopefully there is fairly easygoing communication between parents and grandparents. Intergenerational time should be fun, something to treasure.

You made your choices. Other parents make theirs. One is not better than the other.

Hopefully there is fairly easygoing communication between parents and grandparents. Intergenerational time should be fun, something to treasure.
I disagree,its definitely better to put in the effort to not have a picky eater kid before they become an annoying teenager or adult who expects other people and dining establishments to cater to them.

I have a friend with a picky teen who cant even order her own meals at 15 years of age for whatever reason,so the parents have to order her something from the children's menu, plain with sauce on the side.they allow this at home and tailor their meals to her preferences. We dont go out to eat with them very often.

Last edited:
Ok. :rolleyes:

I disagree,its definitely better to put in the effort to not have a picky eater kid before they become an annoying teenager or adult who expects other people and dining establishments to cater to them.
You made your choice. Other parents make theirs. One is not better than the other.

It is impossible to assume what the situation is with a vacation snapshot.

You should do what works for you, in your personal situation. It sounds like you have.

You made your choice. Other parents make theirs. One is not better than the other.

It is impossible to assume what the situation is with a vacation snapshot.

You should do what works for you, in your personal situation. It sounds like you have.
not sure if you got this post right since it looks like you posted the same thing twice.

not sure if you got this post right since it looks like you posted the same thing twice.
No worries. After I carefully read your post, I was not sure I was heard the first time.
It's all good. Basically it's my position that families on vacation should enjoy themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter