Is there anyone here from the US who has bought a foreign country package from disney

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
Ok I am SO confused and I hope someone can answer me this question. So I have been told numerous times I can book a package through Disney from ANY country. Well the US dollar is less than both the Euro AND the British pound. I looked up a package on the UK site and it is approx 1500 pounds. The SAME exact package on the US site is 1900 dollars. When I do the conversion though it is actually a little bit more to buy the British package AND a package in Euro's then if I bought it straight from the US. Maybe I am dumb but I am assuming if we used our US credit card to buy something in pounds they would convert it to dollars and still pay Disney the amount in US dollars. I don't see how this is cheaper if they convert it. Am I missing something???

Prices change and the value of the dollar changes. When I purchased our DLP package, I checked many of the sites and converted that currency (euros, pounds) into dollars. At that time, the UK site was about $250 cheaper but I’m sure it varies.

if we used our US credit card to buy something in pounds they would convert it to dollars and still pay Disney the amount in US dollars.

This is correct BUT with one major bit of info missing. The US dollar amount is dependant on the value of the US dollar to pound sterling / Euro at the time of the conversion.

Disney package priced in Euro = €80 when converted to US dollars in December = $91 - 1 Euro = 1.13769 US dollar
Disney package priced in Euro = €80 when converted to US dollars in May = $89 - 1 Euro = 1.0853 US dollar

This is correct BUT with one major bit of info missing. The US dollar amount is dependant on the value of the US dollar to pound sterling / Euro at the time of the conversion.

Disney package priced in Euro = €80 when converted to US dollars in December = $91 - 1 Euro = 1.13769 US dollar
Disney package priced in Euro = €80 when converted to US dollars in May = $89 - 1 Euro = 1.0853 US dollar

Thanks yea that is what I am deducing. Right now it is 1500 pounds for the UK package but with the conversion it ends up being about the same as the US package. Actually a few dollars more to do it with the UK and about the same for the Euro. Sooo I think we are just going to do the US one because at least I know what I am getting plus I wouldn't have to pay a conversion fee with my bank.

Sorry for all the questions it is really confusing and so different than what I am used to at Disneyland or Disney World.

Yeah, it all depends on currency conversion when you buy the package vs. the conversion when they set the package pricing. It also helps to have a credit card with no foreign transaction fees.

It really depends on what the sale offers are on packages. When we bought our package using the Belgian site for January 2018, the price after conversion was almost $1000 less than the equivalent package on the U.S. site (two night stay in a Golden Forest suite at Sequoia Lodge). My observation after watching for a few months before booking was that there were frequent sales on the European sites and never any sales on the U.S. site. If there hadn't been a sale it would have been much cheaper for us to book the hotel only through a third-party and buy tickets separately (that was my original plan -- we booked Hotel Cheyenne through the U.K. Expedia site with a sale and coupon, then the sale came along for a package on the Belgian site and we switched).

I checked about two dozen country websites & ended up booking through the British site
The price we paid (in pound sterling) was about $200 dollars cheaper than on the US site (for a 4-night stay).

Thanks everyone. Right now they have an advanced purchase sale which on Sequoia is about 30% with free half board meals. I checked the same exact package on the UK site and the Spanish site (Euro's). With the conversion and then what our bank would charge us for the conversion fee it actually costs more. So while I am sure there are def times where it would be cheaper to do it on another countries site, right now I think it is about the same doing it on the US one. I wish we could save more but I think it is still a decent deal. It is going to costs us 1900 US for 3 days 4 nights at Sequoia but that of course includes the tickets and the meals. Maybe there are even better deals to be had but I know staying in something equivalent here in the states would be much more. So since we want to get it booked so we can start saving for our rooms in Paris and Spain we are just going to do it. Thanks so much everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!!!

Has anyone done this using a front loaded card such as FairFX.? They do a US, Euro and Everywhere card.

You could load up the euro card, pay with that getting a better exchange rate and no conversion fees from your bank. (I think).

https://www.fairfx.com/ref/02kdvies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter