Is there a lesser evil of summer months?

We have gone over the summer the last few years, including late May/early June, late June , and mid-late July. We found that the biggest impact was the crowds at MK and HS seem to be greater in July than June. I had to look up what was meant by The 15s, but that is definitely a factor in July. It does seem hotter in July, but it is plenty hot in June too. I do not know if miserably hot vs. miserably hotter is much of a factor. The larger crowds at the parks I mentioned tend to make things seem hotter!

This is just our experience, though. You can still have a great time if you know what to expect, stay hydrated and manage your touring. I will say that one thing we like about going in July better is that we are not completing our big vacation early in the summer. After the trip, the rest of the summer seems bland. I would like to try in late August, but school starts for us in early/mid August.

Interesting. I'm kind of the opposite. I prefer WDW in the summer. Late May to August are my preferred times. The hurricane thing is a non-factor for me, as it really is extremely rare at WDW. Yeah, it's hot but you can work around that. Don't get me wrong, I've done WDW at Christmas twice for vacation and was just down there last week (didn't go into the parks). I absolutely love the holiday spirit and decorations there, but a cold WDW for me is miserable. I want to be in shorts and t-shirts, not sweatshirts.

It's not just threat of hurricanes to WDW. It's the threat of them coming to my house. Had to cut our trip short this summer because of Barry. Last year we almost had a tropical storm hit our house while in WDW as well. Just not worth it to us and I don't tolerate that kind of heat well. Yes, I live in south Louisiana. Doesn't mean I spend extended time outside between June and October. I also absolutely HATE being in the rain. I'm not a "throw on a poncho and keep moving" sort of person and neither is my husband.

I’ve gone almost every month (other than July), and some of my favorite trips have been the last two weeks of August. The crowds were so low, and after a rain or in the evenings, it really does cool down. Our schools didn’t go back until after Labor Day, but many go back earlier. One day at Epcot even Soarin’ was a walk on all day long! Longest trip was 15 nights the entire last part of August, and it was a great trip. We even ended up having to run to Target and Walmart (for groceries; we were off site that trip), and had to pick up sweatshirts.

We go the 2nd week of June, and it is normally not bad, crowdwise. Our kids get out of school at the end of May, and it kind of stinks to go on vacation almost immediately, but the crowd level seems to be better that way.

Due to school constraints our only choice for a 2020 Disney vacation is June, July, or through mid-August. Am I looking at pretty much equivalently high crowd levels (minus July 4th-ish time period) and equally miserable weather in all three months? Or is there a time slot in there that's even slightly more desirable?

We've been in all three months, we prefer early June all the way. We go the first week of June/end of May since our kids are out early. Crowds are never that bad compared to other times of the year and truthfully, yes it's hot but it's not July/Aug heat and no chance of hurricanes like August usually. Just your usual pop up storms that are gone after a few min. There are ways to mitigate the heat but if you are truly a heat hater, you may want to avoid summer in Orlando. We are from the south so summer Orlando is not that bad for us however it's all relative.

Lesser of all evils is exactly right! We went first week of June and it was a hot and humid as August. It really is a crap shoot.
Crowds may have been a bit lighter, but it was super crowded just like it always is. Many schools start summer break the end of May so it's packed in by June.

I was there June 23-27 for a quick solo trip to Port Orleans French Quarter (which I highly recommend) and it was the definition of satan's armpit weather. 2 of the days it hit over 105 heat index. As if I needed a reason to "hydrate" around the world in Epcot ;). On the contrary I thought Easter week with my family was perfect with low humidity (a bit crowded though).

I arrive on 8th June. I have never been in the summer before, is this a really bad time?

I think it’s really all relative and a matter of what people can endure. We don’t mind it but we also find ways to handle the heat. I prefer it compared to some other more heavily crowded times like spring break.
We usually go at Christmas, and got married in October 2010 at the YC. I am hoping to see a difference crowd wise, at least from Christmas

I arrive on 8th June. I have never been in the summer before, is this a really bad time?

No, not at all. In fact, I'd suggest it's a really good time. Crowds (relatively speaking) will be low. Long daylight hours. It's certainly a subjective thing, and medical issues can come into play, but as I said before I think there's a lot of hyperbole people make about the heat. Just use a bit of common sense and it's really not that big of an issue at all. Have a great time!!!!

No, not at all. In fact, I'd suggest it's a really good time. Crowds (relatively speaking) will be low. Long daylight hours. It's certainly a subjective thing, and medical issues can come into play, but as I said before I think there's a lot of hyperbole people make about the heat. Just use a bit of common sense and it's really not that big of an issue at all. Have a great time!!!!
That's kind of what I was hoping. I mean, obviously not to be stupid about it, it will be hotter and more humid than home, by a long way, but I think, with sensible clothing and other precautions it should be fine. But I was getting a bit scared! Oh and thank you!

We went in mid-August, the summer before last. We weren't sure what to expect, but we actually really enjoyed it. Yes, it was very hot, but the crowds were the lowest we've ever experienced. It did storm just about every afternoon, so we just made sure to do outdoor rides earlier in the day. Have a great trip!

That's kind of what I was hoping. I mean, obviously not to be stupid about it, it will be hotter and more humid than home, by a long way, but I think, with sensible clothing and other precautions it should be fine. But I was getting a bit scared! Oh and thank you!

Just use some basic common sense strategies. Do the all outdoor stuff first, such as Tomorrowland Speedway or Primeval Whirl. If you're in the parks for the mid-afternoon hours (we are), do things that are all indoors and/or have a/c queues. CoP, Space Mountain, Laugh Floor, Dinosaur, Spaceship Earth (presuming the line isn't long), Nemo, Muppets, or a show. The only time you'd have to be outside is to walk from one attraction to the next. Light clothing, drink plenty of water, FP+ the water attractions such as Kali or Splash. All QS places give free ice water.

I would say early June if that is even considered a summer month. It isn't where I live. It's still hot, a little too much for us, but the humidity isn't quite at its peak.

Just wanted to add one thing-Summer @ WDW IS NOT the same since they retired Sounds Like Summer Concert Series!!!!

On our trip in September we saw Rumours at House of Blues and it brought back so many great SLS memories!

I will never forget the 2 Summers that SouthBound and Company played SLS and filled World Showcase with the sounds of Freebird TWICE a night(first and third sets)!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter