Is There a Cap On Total Points Owned?

fivetexans

Earning My Ears
I am a current DVC owner. I'm looking into the possibility of buying more points.

Does anyone know if there is a cap or limit on the total number of vacation points you can own? There are many things I want to do with my points beyond traveling just to WDW or DL.

Just curious.

I don't know of a cap. But I believe I saw a posting that listed people's total point ownership. I thought there was someone on there with ~5000 points.

I am a current DVC owner. I'm looking into the possibility of buying more points.

Does anyone know if there is a cap or limit on the total number of vacation points you can own? There are many things I want to do with my points beyond traveling just to WDW or DL.

Just curious.
There are a lot cheaper ways of doing what you want. DVC is best used for DVC.

There is a cap, but you get around it by titling the deed differently. You on multiple to get the max. Spouse on more, you and spouse together. There was a family that owned thousands of points that they rented out years ago. Their deeds were titled differently to exceed the max. They were commercial renters and I think DVC bought their contracts.

Last edited:
There are many things I want to do with my points beyond traveling just to WDW or DL.

unless you set money on fire routinely to enjoy the glow, you should probably stick with paying cash for non-wdw/DLR trips as that will save you money. you will pay a higher cost for direct pts in order to trade and then you will pay high point costs for the trade options - it's not worth it.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-limit.3080758/

wdrl said: "A couple of years ago (2011?) DVC raised the point limits to 4,000 points at a single resort and 8,000 points at all resorts combined."

I thought there was a cap. Don't know what that is. Like PP mentioned there is someone who has 5000. There is an over 1000 points club thread on here somewhere.

With 8000 points, if you averaged about 22 points per night over all the nights, you could stay in studios year round and live in Disney resorts. And only about $48,000/year in dues at $6 per point. But, the initial buy in would probably be close to $1 million at current resale prices, depending what resorts you purchased. I'm not doing the math on how much it would cost to live in a bungalow year round, lol.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the cap was somewhere between 5-10,000, but wasn't sure.

I do like the idea of staying at Disney year around :-) Although I think I'd go nuts in a studio after awhile.

And... I know you mean well by offering financial advice on better ways to spend my money on points outside of a DVC resort, I have my reasons and was asking a question for my own purposes. Sometimes cheaper isn't always the goal.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the cap was somewhere between 5-10,000, but wasn't sure.

I do like the idea of staying at Disney year around :-) Although I think I'd go nuts in a studio after awhile.

And... I know you mean well by offering financial advice on better ways to spend my money on points outside of a DVC resort, I have my reasons and was asking a question for my own purposes. Sometimes cheaper isn't always the goal.
You'd have to buy those points direct to be able to use them outside of DVC unless you just want to trade into RCI. I own another timeshare (two flex weeks) at a FL Gulf Coast beach resort that I love. It's a HGVC affiliate. I can combine my beach trips with DVC trips and it makes my points last longer. I bought both weeks for $5K total and my annual fees are around $1K for each week. I get a two bedroom that sleeps six right on the beach for each week. So sometimes you can get more vacations outside of DVC and it's even easier to accomplish that trying to use DVC points.

Deb and Bill. Thanks... that's good to know.

I've looked into other timeshare options to combine trips like you mentioned. I like Bluegreen and other clubs as well. I'm exploring my options right now.

With 8000 points, if you averaged about 22 points per night over all the nights, you could stay in studios year round and live in Disney resorts. And only about $48,000/year in dues at $6 per point. But, the initial buy in would probably be close to $1 million at current resale prices, depending what resorts you purchased. I'm not doing the math on how much it would cost to live in a bungalow year round, lol.

I'm wondering if Disney would even allow you to do that? Anyone know? Can you even imagine... LIVING at WDW? OMG!

I've looked into other timeshare options to combine trips like you mentioned. I like Bluegreen and other clubs as well. I'm exploring my options right now.

We currently own Wyndham and are in the process of buying DVC. We've been wanting to own DVC for years, but could never really justify the price. The reason is because of our Wyndham timeshare. Every other timeshare we have looked at, we have always compared to our Wyndham, and nothing ever seems to beat it. We got our Wyndham for a total steal on eBay. So, it cost us next to nothing to buy in, and the MFs are comparable to DVC. Until recently, we have had VERY good luck exchanging into DVC via II/RCI. Unfortunately, that luck ran out this year, and we are having the hardest time getting a match for our desired travel dates. That's why we finally decided to pull the trigger on DVC. We don't want to have to deal with this "exchange limbo" ever again!

I agree that owning DVC and buying into another non-DVC timeshare would probably be the cheapest way to have the best of both worlds!

Like most things DVC if you wanted to buy a ton of points direct, I'm sure that the guide would get "special" permission to sell them.

Using points outside of DVC resorts is not guaranteed, availability may be restricted and each reservation currently has a $95 cash premium.

IMO Disney uses the ability to point book outside of the DVC as an advertising point but they really don't want you to. That's why they raise the point requirements every year and charge a premium.

:earsboy: Bill

Captain Jack... not real sure on all of that. I do know in the past that there are restrictions on the total number of days at one time you can make a reservation for. We have taken several 10-14 day vacations and had to make two separate reservations. It may sound a bit silly, but it keeps availability options open for guests.

But, we've never had an issue. We come back and make the second reservation and they link the two together. We don't have to change rooms or anything. Or, we make the one reservation and then make the second reservation at a different resort to experience two different resorts on our trip.

Captain Jack... not real sure on all of that. I do know in the past that there are restrictions on the total number of days at one time you can make a reservation for. We have taken several 10-14 day vacations and had to make two separate reservations. It may sound a bit silly, but it keeps availability options open for guests.

But, we've never had an issue. We come back and make the second reservation and they link the two together. We don't have to change rooms or anything. Or, we make the one reservation and then make the second reservation at a different resort to experience two different resorts on our trip.
We've done longer trips, too. Book the first seven nights online, then call every few days to add more days until we got what we wanted. All one reservation.

Then again, if you have the money to drop a cool $1.5M+ on GWs at Poly, buying into DVC to reduce your long-term vacation costs is probably the least of your concerns. At that level, you would probably just book Grand Villas for cash for whenever and however long you wanted!

Buying DVC to use for other options is not reasonable. What's best depends on many factors including volume, personal preferences, flexibility and the like. I do like DVC plus another mini system such as Bluegreen, Wyndham, Worldmark and maybe Marriott (either weeks or trust points) for many situations. A wholly owned condo possibly that trades with a timeshare exchange company or a fractional might be a good choice for one who wants volume.

I'm wondering if Disney would even allow you to do that? Anyone know? Can you even imagine... LIVING at WDW? OMG!
I don't think there's any restriction on the total days but there will be on points owned and length of a given reservation. You'll hear people talk about a limit related to state residency but from what I've been able to find in the past, this is a bogus concern.

I have a POS from my BCV purchase. It states 2000 points per resort and 5000 total for all DVC resorts. (Page 18, III.5. Component Site Material Rules and Regulations). The number is set to "encourage purchase for personal use."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter