• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is their an issue that can stop you from

It's funny, my dad and I are opposite sides of the spectrum but we can have reasonable discussions. He actually told my brother (who is on the same side of the spectrum as he is) that he'd rather talk to me because he enjoys discussing things and I don't get all bent out of shape when we disagree :rotfl:

My two grandfathers were polar opposites politically and personality wise as well. And they absolutely loved spending time together!

Cruelty is where I draw the line, and unfortunately, that is something I see more than I'd like of these days. The casual heartlessness of a lot of people can be absolutely appalling and I have a very hard time being around it. I have friends who couldn't be more different than I am, politically, religiously and philosophically, but when it crosses over into saying/believing that some people are less deserving of kindness and basic human dignity or suggesting that certain people should be allowed to die as a "solution" to a political/social problem, I'm out.

I also have a very hard time with religious people who try to convert me. It is annoying and makes it difficult if not impossible to form a friendship with someone who proselytizes in everyday conversation. I can't believe anyone thinks that actually works, as though faith is something you can browbeat someone into!

I try to be pretty laid back, but if you twist oreos apart and lick the frosting off, I just cant be friends with you. oh, and if you don't break apart a kit kat before you eat it, that is a deal breaker too.

For me, it would be if someone disregarded my kids' safety, or undermined my parenting. Not something like disagreeing with my choices as a parent, but actually exposing my kids to something I explicitly said no to that was important to me.

Anything else, it would really depends on specific circumstances. The only friendship I've ever ended (outside of just natural falling out of touch) was with someone who took one of my crutches while I was using them and tried to hit me with it. Our friendship had already been falling apart and there's really no coming back from that one.

:teeth: I'm not actually, and apparently it does make a difference. Other than the DIS, almost 100% of my contact with people is IRL, and the if the people I know and like or love are expressing themselves on-line in ways I'd believe to be entirely out of character, well, I know nothing of it. I do look at news feeds sometimes and what I read the comments section would curl ones hair, but those people are strangers so it doesn't really affect me.

:hippie: Being in Canada, as a society we're not at the same level of frenzy/despair that seems to be the current climate in the States. We certainly have issues, many of the same issues actually but at a very different scale. It is still possible here to get through most days without the kind of confrontation you describe, IRL at least.

Here we get fed divisive propaganda 24-7 from our opinion news.

Last edited:

I have friends that I respectfully disagree with on politics, religion, etc, but not with people who are angry and hateful about it. One of my best friends and I are on opposite ends politically. I just can't stand being around people who are negative ALL the time about everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter