Is the Wish really crowded?

I’m sure that you’re right…I was just used to the more flexible policies at Disney World.
I totally get that. If their policies were the same company wide it would make more sense ;) but alas they are two separate companies.

Can you move to a different cruise so you don't lose all of your money? I've sailed on the Magic a few times and it felt much less crowded than the Wish - maybe look for an alternative so you don't lose so much money?

If they're now not tolerating crowds, a cruise (or Disney World or I'd imagine Universal, etc.) is really not the right vacation for them. That may be harsh, but it's reality.

If they're now not tolerating crowds, a cruise (or Disney World or I'd imagine Universal, etc.) is really not the right vacation for them. That may be harsh, but it's reality.
I’d have to agree with this…

For the OP. I got back from a fully booked Wish sailing this Monday. Here’s my observations:

1. Even fully booked I didn’t find it that busy. Yes, some areas, at some times were crowded, but you can avoid the crowds pretty easily
2. Eat in Palo or somewhere else that feels less busy
3. There were always plenty of seats for the 6PM show and we arrived 5 minutes before the show
4. The Cove area was only busy around the spa, there were plenty of free loungers and spa and bar every time we went. Loungers and chairs were readily available and rarely did we have to sit next to anyone
5. Buy the rainforest spa pass as a place to escape if you need to
6. Go down the further end of the beach on castaway

I go to the parks 3-4 times a week, and sometimes I find it too crowded for me. I either leave, or thankfully I have a place I can get away from the crowds. I never felt the need for that respite on the ship.

But if you don’t like crowds of moderate size, then I don’t think this is for you. You need a cruise that is tailored to you.

One thing that I gained from this thread is realizing that it isn’t crowds that freak me out. I could easily stand in the crowd for Happily Ever After or go into the Emporium when it’s crowded. My problem is that I need to be able to escape if I’m uncomfortable. So, I hate the monorail and the buses because from time to time I end up stuck beside someone who makes me uncomfortable (someone who sits too close, kids that are screaming, people coughing). I would never be unkind to the people I’m describing. They have a right to cough in my direction, sit too close, or let their kids play loudly and chaotically on the bus. I’d never say a single word but I’d be silently freaking out.

We knew Disney World so well. Minnie Vans saved us from buses, the club lounge was great if we needed a break from crowds, genie+ helped with the lines, and I knew which restaurants have tables too close for comfort. I would probably eventually learn these things about cruising but it would take a little time.

I’d have to agree with this…

For the OP. I got back from a fully booked Wish sailing this Monday. Here’s my observations:

1. Even fully booked I didn’t find it that busy. Yes, some areas, at some times were crowded, but you can avoid the crowds pretty easily
2. Eat in Palo or somewhere else that feels less busy
3. There were always plenty of seats for the 6PM show and we arrived 5 minutes before the show
4. The Cove area was only busy around the spa, there were plenty of free loungers and spa and bar every time we went. Loungers and chairs were readily available and rarely did we have to sit next to anyone
5. Buy the rainforest spa pass as a place to escape if you need to
6. Go down the further end of the beach on castaway

I go to the parks 3-4 times a week, and sometimes I find it too crowded for me. I either leave, or thankfully I have a place I can get away from the crowds. I never felt the need for that respite on the ship.

But if you don’t like crowds of moderate size, then I don’t think this is for you. You need a cruise that is tailored to you.
Thank you for the info about your cruise. From this thread I’m learning that there is a way to avoid the crowds. I think we would need to skip the MDRs, bingo, trivia, shows, and maybe a couple of other things but it sounds like we could go to the shops, pools, aqua mouse, etc by timing it right. I always loved the parks but I knew how to avoid the things that made me uncomfortable.

Thank you for the info about your cruise. From this thread I’m learning that there is a way to avoid the crowds. I think we would need to skip the MDRs, bingo, trivia, shows, and maybe a couple of other things but it sounds like we could go to the shops, pools, aqua mouse, etc by timing it right. I always loved the parks but I knew how to avoid the things that made me uncomfortable.
You’re welcome! the guide on the walking your said every stateroom was occupied and capacity was at 3600 or 3700 out of 4000. That sounds like my weekend was busier than most?

1. Sail away was busy. But you can watch it from the adult deck
  2. I thought the rainforest spa wasn’t peaceful inside, but outside has a lot of space and there were plenty of daybeds at all times. Wife liked it, I thought it wasn’t worth the value, but it will take you away from crowds
  3. Nightingales, hyperspsce and the rose were reasonably quiet. I think the rose would be a good place for you
  4. I’d wager the adults only area at the cove will be your biggest friend. It never once felt busy, except Nassau day. Make sure you walk all the way around to find the quietest spot
  5. Avoid pirates night and the main pool
  6. MDR lunch was pretty quiet too
  7. The boarding area will be busy. Don’t let that freak you out, it thins out as you board and once on board you can saunter off!

Hope that helps. Personally, I wouldn’t cancel as there’s enough space to avoid people. Come back from castaway cay early or later and you won’t be dealing with peak crowds either.

Well, it’s not really crowds that I hate so much as crowds of people that I can’t get away from. For example, if the person right beside me is coughing then that would make me uncomfortable. As long as I can walk away from them I’m fine. If that person is beside me while we are waiting to get into Marvel and I can’t get away then I start to silently freak out. I’m actually germphobic. When I went to sams this morning I sanitized my nose with Nozin, sanitized the shopping cart, sanitized my hands with purell and then germstar (which apparently kills norovirus), and then washed my hands as soon as I got home. It‘s a pain but it keeps me comfortable. I checked out with scan and go and all was well. So, it’s not crowds, it’s germs and bugs that freak me out.

At Disney I can choose where I go and how long I’m willing to wait. I can always walk away. I may miss out on a ride but I can go back later. And, like the previous poster said, outdoor crowds don‘t bother me nearly as much as indoor crowds.
There is no reason why you can't walk away from people on the ship. Except for the big events, people are spread out all over. The only issue I can see for you is the dining room at dinner. For that I would suggest eating on deck right before they close for a late lunch/early dinner and ordering room service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter