• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the Polynesian a bad idea for 2023

Minimousemomof2

Earning My Ears
Would you splurge and stay in the deluxe DVC studio villas at the Polynesian in October 2023 knowing there will be major construction going on?

We’ve been trying to go there the last couple of years but it never worked out and now that we have our chance, we’re worried the construction will negatively impact our stay to the point that I’ll regret it. The pool and transportation options (monorail and boat) are our top reasons to stay there as well as the general ambiance. We go to Disney every year and often stay at Saratoga Springs but want to change things up.

What would you do?

Would you splurge and stay in the deluxe DVC studio villas at the Polynesian in October 2023 knowing there will be major construction going on?

We’ve been trying to go there the last couple of years but it never worked out and now that we have our chance, we’re worried the construction will negatively impact our stay to the point that I’ll regret it. The pool and transportation options (monorail and boat) are our top reasons to stay there as well as the general ambiance. We go to Disney every year and often stay at Saratoga Springs but want to change things up.

What would you do?
Heck yes id go. Best studio rooms on property and

They are on the opposite end of the resort from the construction.
youre good

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, especially with a Villa room as it’s on the total opposite end of the resort. Other than the currently detoured path between Poly and GF (which we use frequently for running and accessing dining/the gym/etc, so the current setup is less than ideal) there’s often not many reasons a Poly guest would really be spending all that much time on the construction side of the resort, so I expect it will be a minimal issue overall.

I would be much more concerned if I had a standard view hotel side room as that could possibly put you in close proximity/view to the construction site (if Disney intends to actually put guests in those rooms directly facing construction). Even the TPV (non CL) category puts you pretty close to possible noise and a view of construction off to the left.

But for the DVC side, overall a non issue IMHO.

Correction: I would ABSOLUTELY NOT stay at Poly in 2023. Especially cash, which could be right on the construction. DVC is far enough way, I would be willing to stay there.

This is a BIG construction project, and Disney has shown to me they don't care how construction impacts guests.
https://www.disboards.com/posts/64117541/

Last edited:
Absolutely not, especially cash, which could be right on the construction. DVC is far enough way, I would be willing to stay there.

This is a BIG construction project, and Disney has shown to me they don't care how construction impacts guests.
https://www.disboards.com/posts/64117541/
The current DVC portion of the resort is on the opposite side of the property. There will be little to no effect on the DVC end of things with this construction.

By that point, a full year from now, I'd think Poly2 will be close to done or at least interior-only work.

I'd not want to be anywhere at Poly right now, as I bet noise would be a concern.

But then, we've stayed at Poly twice--first and last time in one. I'm hardly a good source of advice for those eager to stay there.

OK! I corrected my post for the inconsistent grammar of the title and the last question. "What would you do?"

Hope I am clear that I would AVOID THE CONSTRUCTION. Hope that's super clear! Don't have a not bad day!

By that point, a full year from now, I'd think Poly2 will be close to done or at least interior-only work.

I'd not want to be anywhere at Poly right now, as I bet noise would be a concern.

But then, we've stayed at Poly twice--first and last time in one. I'm hardly a good source of advice for those eager to stay there.
Would you mind sharing why you feel that way about Poly? Maybe something I should be considering??

Well, I think I know enough to speak at least for @Her Dotness The Poly DVC costs as much as GF, and she much prefers GF.

Both cost about the same in DVC and have advantages and limitations. The construction will at least make the walking path between two problematic, so the gym/restaurants next door will be more difficult. I don't think the construction will matter for direct noise for the DVC villas, but it could affect things like the walking path or parking. They are also redoing the parking lot and maybe that section of road at some point. This is a very large project.

So I'm staying at the Poly in January. Is there any particular places I should request to stay (or to avoid) with a standard view room?

So I'm staying at the Poly in January. Is there any particular places I should request to stay (or to avoid) with a standard view room?
I'm assuming you are staying cash.

Honestly, I'd try to move to another hotel. Disney is not great with room requests, and this one would be dealbreaking for me. There are a lot of Poly cash rooms that are really close to the construction. DVC should be fine. It won't matter where you are for construction.

We stayed DVC side in September and never saw/hear the construction a single time inside the resort.

We stayed DVC side in September and never saw/hear the construction a single time inside the resort.
Construction wasn't going in a big way then, the walkway wasn't even closed, plus DVC is on the other side of the property from the construction.

There are cash rooms very close to the construction site, and this is a big project.

If it starts messing with the road or parking, it could impact the whole resort, or even GF.

Would you mind sharing why you feel that way about Poly? Maybe something I should be considering??
I don't care for the look or theme of the Poly in general, and both DH and I disliked how terribly dark the courtyard is at night even with the torches here and there.

How bumpy the courtyard pavement is was definitely an issue for DH who uses a powerchair. I found it a bit unsettling myself due to the unevenness. Just too freakin' dark around that place at night to see well where you're walking/rolling.

The post-refurb cleanup in PagoPago was slipshod, too. We stayed there 6 weeks after it reopened. You'd think it would be pristine. There was construction dust lining our doorsill in the hallway that a quick vacuuming with a crevice tool could have gotten. Generally, the hall looked dingy.

Nothing had been done to that cramped elevator either. Its walls were beat up and flooring somewhat worn. Why you'd refurb rooms and not touch up the elevator's interior was beyond me. The contrast was notable.
Well, I think I know enough to speak at least for @Her Dotness The Poly DVC costs as much as GF, and she much prefers GF.
Pretty much says it. RoseGold has perhaps more experience reading my 😍 GF/VGF posts than she cares to have. ;)

Yeah. Poly DVC costs way more than it appeals to us. However, lots of others strongly differ. So, take my opinion in that regard...

TIP- If youre staying at the dvc side of the poly- get off the monorail at the TTC. Shorter walk than the lobby and a nice little path directly to your building

Since you have a choice, this time i would stay at either VGF or BLT/contemporary, if you want to stay on a Monorail resort, and save the Poly visit for another trip. Why risk an expensive vacation when you have easy options.
I love the Poly, but i like the room size choices at VGF and BLT too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter