Is the Hoop Dee Doo show good or is it a nostalgia thing?

Hi, my ADR window opens up in a couple of weeks and I’m unsure whether to go for HDD—staying at the Poly for 6 nights in April, family of 4, two boys 7 and almost 10. I thought I was gonna try for it but a 2 hour show (plus at least an hour more with transport) is a pretty big chunk of one’s day!

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours? Versus hanging out the Poly or doing a shorter ADR? Or is it a legit highlight not to be missed? I’m lucky to live in a city with a lot of shows, in case that’s relevant at all. Also, this is our last trip to Disney for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks!!
If you use the term “a nostalgia thing” I’m going to guess you will think it’s a nostalgia thing when you experience it. But that would be too bad because it is the awesomest thing in the world. It is like Carousel of Progress meets the Mainstreet Electrical Parade meets Mickey’s Backyard BBQ.
It is nostalgic, but with that comes genuineness, sentiment, and a bygone era of quality.

Last edited:
If you use the term “a nostalgia thing” I’m going to guess you will think it’s a nostalgia thing when you experience it. But that would be too bad because it is the awesomest thing in the world. It is like Carousel of Progress meets the Mainstreet Electrical Parade meets Mickey’s Backyard BBQ.
It is nostalgic, but with that comes genuineness, sentiment, and a bygone era of quality.
Not really—I just used the term “nostalgia” to try to confirm that it’s likely enjoyable to someone who’s going in fresh vs someone who already associates it with the Disney experience and maybe saw it when they were younger (and that’s why it’s a specific must do for them.)
Imo, there’s often certain entertainment that if you don’t see first as a kid, you perhaps don’t fully “get” if first exposure is as an adult. Like if you never saw country bears jamboree as a kid, is it objectively a must see when you first visit as an adult? I love it but to me the main appeal is that it reminds me of my childhood, haha.
Since HDD is a decent commitment time-wise and certainly money wise, wanted to double check that most people actually genuinely enjoy it! And it sounds like they do!

Not really—I just used the term “nostalgia” to try to confirm that it’s likely enjoyable to someone who’s going in fresh vs someone who already associates it with the Disney experience and maybe saw it when they were younger (and that’s why it’s a specific must do for them.)
Imo, there’s often certain entertainment that if you don’t see first as a kid, you perhaps don’t fully “get” if first exposure is as an adult. Like if you never saw country bears jamboree as a kid, is it objectively a must see when you first visit as an adult? I love it but to me the main appeal is that it reminds me of my childhood, haha.
Since HDD is a decent commitment time-wise and certainly money wise, wanted to double check that most people actually genuinely enjoy it! And it sounds like they do!

Despite going to WDW numerous times as a kid, I didn't see County Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, or Enchanted Tiki Room until I was in my 30s, and I love them. I also did not go to HDDR until last year. Went with my spouse (who is from a major UK city) and kids (one of whom is a teenager) and we all loved it; the kids even wanted to get T-shirts at the Settlement Trading Post afterwards. (We also got a Pioneer Hall/HDDR Christmas ornament!) Of course, we love Fort Wilderness as a whole as well (again, never went as a kid).

Since you mentioned it in your original post, we also live near a major city and have seen numerous shows in various other major cities (Broadway, London's West End, Kennedy Center, etc.) and I would just not compare HDDR to those types of shows. The talent and caliber is top notch here, but it just...isn't that type of thing. There is a lot of audience participation and eating...it's not really like regular "dinner theatre" either (so, so much better); HDDR is just really its own thing.

I don't know if you read Tom Bricker's blog (I feel like every Disney fan should!) but he has a review of HDDR which may help you make a decision (HDDR ain't cheap and the whole process does take some time - which is good, because you don't want to spend that kind of money to be rushed in and out!- but it is a big decision to make): https://www.disneytouristblog.com/hoop-dee-doo-musical-revue-review/

FWIW, we also enjoy spending a few hours just relaxing at the Poly (I'm dedicating a whole day to this on our next trip) and having shorter ADRs sometimes (especially for park days)- you just have to do what's right for you and your family for this specific trip and time in your lives. Either way I'm sure you'll come away with some great family memories!

Sorry. I was being sarcastic about the quote. I forget to preface like everything I ever say with that. I shouldn’t be that dry with someone I don’t know.
I wasn’t being sarcastic about what I said with the HDD though. Although I first saw it as a kid. In 1981. (Last time was 2019). So I’m not really the right person to have chimed in so quickly. Definitely take the advice of those who first experienced it in this millennia. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Last edited:

Despite going to WDW numerous times as a kid, I didn't see County Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, or Enchanted Tiki Room until I was in my 30s, and I love them. I also did not go to HDDR until last year. Went with my spouse (who is from a major UK city) and kids (one of whom is a teenager) and we all loved it; the kids even wanted to get T-shirts at the Settlement Trading Post afterwards. (We also got a Pioneer Hall/HDDR Christmas ornament!) Of course, we love Fort Wilderness as a whole as well (again, never went as a kid).

Since you mentioned it in your original post, we also live near a major city and have seen numerous shows in various other major cities (Broadway, London's West End, Kennedy Center, etc.) and I would just not compare HDDR to those types of shows. The talent and caliber is top notch here, but it just...isn't that type of thing. There is a lot of audience participation and eating...it's not really like regular "dinner theatre" either (so, so much better); HDDR is just really its own thing.

I don't know if you read Tom Bricker's blog (I feel like every Disney fan should!) but he has a review of HDDR which may help you make a decision (HDDR ain't cheap and the whole process does take some time - which is good, because you don't want to spend that kind of money to be rushed in and out!- but it is a big decision to make): https://www.disneytouristblog.com/hoop-dee-doo-musical-revue-review/

FWIW, we also enjoy spending a few hours just relaxing at the Poly (I'm dedicating a whole day to this on our next trip) and having shorter ADRs sometimes (especially for park days)- you just have to do what's right for you and your family for this specific trip and time in your lives. Either way I'm sure you'll come away with some great family memories!
Off-topic, but Tom Bricker is my favorite Disney blogger. I highly recommend him. Also, I love your Aracuan Bird avatar. Three Caballeros is a beautiful movie.

I'll piggyback to ask - is it at all *wink* corny like the Apple+ show Schmigadoon or more "this happens to be corny but we didn't plan it that way"? If the former, I'm there (I typically love Jungle Cruise, etc).

I'll piggyback to ask - is it at all *wink* corny like the Apple+ show Schmigadoon or more "this happens to be corny but we didn't plan it that way"? If the former, I'm there (I typically love Jungle Cruise, etc).
It's intentionally corny.

Let me just say that during one part of the show last July, I could “bear-ly” breathe because I was laughing so hard, and leave it at that.

Let me just say that during one part of the show last July, I could “bear-ly” breathe because I was laughing so hard, and leave it at that.
Sort of want to go (well, have always been slightly interested) but if they sell Cooooorn Puddin' - meet me there! :P

for the uninitiated

It's kind of corny but really fun too. Kind of the way Jungle Cruise is corny. It's not like a Broadway Show but there is something about the interaction and the energy of it that is very unique. It's definitely worth doing once. The food is good too, fried chicken and stuff like that. For reference, I like Carousel of Progress but I don't like Country Bears or Tiki Birds. I never saw Hoop De Doo until I was an adult and have gone a few times. It does take up a lot of time, it's best to do this on a day you don't really have too many other plans.

Storybook dining is fun, the food is good and the restaurant is beautiful. It's your typical character dining experience and if your kids like those characters it's worth it.

I didn't go for the first time until I was an adult and it's one of my fondest WDW memories, even after schlepping up the stairs on crutches with my foot in a cast. I'm a lifelong theater kid - onstage, backstage, and audience. It's a corny show, but Disney produces some of the highest-quality corn in the business. It's a very good Old West comedy dinner show, and if any of those descriptors is something that appeals to you, you'll enjoy it. The food isn't four-star cuisine, but it's really good. I've never witnessed any audience member looking bored or unhappy, not even teenagers.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember attending this show when I was kid in the late 1970s. I didn't really remember anything ABOUT the show... just that I'd been to it once upon a time.

My wife and I went this past September and enjoyed it a lot. The first 20 minutes or so was a little slow, but once we warmed up to the various characters and they really started to let loose with the ridiculous humor, we were laughing hysterically.

The food was ok... nothing to write home about. But we considered it to be similar to most dinner theaters where you're there more for the show and a meal is included with the show, but the main cost is to see the show.

I think it's a good show. I remember seeing HDDR, Country Bears, Tiki Room, etc when I was younger. But, I also remember not being overly impressed. It wasn't until we started taking our kids that I realized how much fun they were. I would much rather watch the Tiki Birds than ride GotG, and I was sad to miss HDDR on a previous trip when it was closed.

It's intentionally corny, so I think it's more about your sense of humor than about nostalgia. Hoop is my family's favorite, a must-do for us, but my parents always took us when we went as kids. So for me at least it is part nostalgia. But then my husband, whose first HDD experience was as a 30 year old man, also loved it. No nostalgia for him, as he'd never been before. It just made him laugh, he enjoyed the food and the silliness of it.

I do think that it may not appeal to people who don't enjoy the corny silly stuff, or people who are just generally more reserved. It's one of those things that begs for participation, and I know lots of people feel uncomfortable with that kind of thing (not that you have to participate by any means, but it's a lot more fun if you just allow yourself to get into the vibe of it).

Hi, my ADR window opens up in a couple of weeks and I’m unsure whether to go for HDD—staying at the Poly for 6 nights in April, family of 4, two boys 7 and almost 10. I thought I was gonna try for it but a 2 hour show (plus at least an hour more with transport) is a pretty big chunk of one’s day!

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours? Versus hanging out the Poly or doing a shorter ADR? Or is it a legit highlight not to be missed? I’m lucky to live in a city with a lot of shows, in case that’s relevant at all. Also, this is our last trip to Disney for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks!!
My husband and I tried it once. It was cute, and yes corny in a fun way. The food was great and plenty of it.
We had a good time, but it is one and done for us. I guess we don't have the nostalgia for it.

My family and I went for the first time a few weeks ago. We all really liked it, including my parents (60s/70s) and kids (6, 4, 10mo). The food was good, and the show was deliberately very silly and corny, but with great energy and very enjoyable.
It's not on my must-do-every-single-trip list, but I could see visiting again in a few years, and we all had a great time.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and to OP for asking. I was just having this same debate over whether either or both of these are for us and all of the posts are helpful.

The show is fun in a corny way. Drinks are beyond awful. Food tastes ok, but always makes me feel ill.

Its a real good performance, Food is good not the best but good, the show is very entertaining when my kids were small they loved going to see it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter