Is the food at Saratoga Springs really THAT Bad?

jlc878

Earning My Ears
My fiance and I are planning a trip to WDW for our Honeymoon for end of March/early June 2022. Its our first time going to WDW so we have been doing a ton of research on where we want to stay. Saratoga Springs caught our eye because of how beautiful the recent renovations look in addition to the peaceful ambiance it seems to give off. One of our big concerns however is hearing a bunch of negative reviews with their food options that are offered there. For me personally, I am not one to gravitate to super fancy or rich food because of having more of a "sensitive" stomach. So it doesn't really matter to me really in terms of that. I think overall I value the room over food options but I wanted to see if anyone has had any recent experience dining/staying at the resort or if people would have any other recommendations for a hotel stay. For context, we are from California, locals to the Disneyland Park.

SSR itself may not have much it offers for food options but across the water is Downtown Disney. Think of it like any of the DL hotels and DTD there but even more dining options. It's a resort you shouldn't ever have food issues at IMO. Otherwise the Artist Palette is typical for QS food service at most WDW locations. I'd consider it pretty similar to the GC Whitewater location just not quite the same menu.

There may be some redeeming dishes at SSR, but DS has some...maybe the most?....of the best restaurants on property. The Turf Club at SSR was at one time considered a hidden gem, I think it may have declined. But if I'm wrong, the better choices are still at DS. :earsboy:

In a word: yes. The only time we stayed at SSR we made dinner ADRs: shared an appetizer (it was horrible) and had 2 cocktails. Paid bill. Went to Wolfgang Puck’s Dining Room. Had great meal.

SSR’s saving food grace is that you can walk to downtown Disney.

I don’t think the food is bad. It is just plain and there are not a lot of choices. The Turf Club lounge is currently open for dinner, it it too only has a few options.
I would imagine that it’s proximity to Disney Springs has made the dining options at SSR a low priority.

The quick service is fine (and if you're staying in the Paddock, there's a nice quick service there too). The Turf Grill and lounge need a serious revamping - I feel like it has a lot of potential, but needs some love. Was hoping it would be addressed during the refurb.

We have eaten at the Turf Club several times and food has been great. We usually get the steak. Who know what it will be like when it opens back up. The quick service is like all quick service restaurants. Some food is ok and some not. We have eaten at Captain Cooks at PVB that everybody raves about and have gotten horrible food. So bad my DW went and got something else and that was awful too. I would take Turf Club hands down any day than Cinderella’s Royal Table, way overpriced and not that good. But hey, give me meat, potato and a normal vegetable and I’m happy.

Last edited:
The quick service is fine. When our kids were little the easels they had for drawing were a huge hit. Haven’t been to Turf Club in a few years, but when I was there it was decent food, it just totally unremarkable (sort of like all of SSR). If you want a break from interesting experience restaurants and just want “normal” American food, it was fine. Disney Springs is a quick walk or boat ride away if you want something else.

Bruce

Congratulations on your engagement!
I love Saratoga Springs Resort and the location to Disney Springs!
As others have mentioned, the quick service is similar to all other Disney quick service.
Happy planning!

Saratoga Springs caught our eye because of […] the peaceful ambiance it seems to give off.
SSR has really grown on me, and this is a big reason why. It‘s vibe is “understated elegance” in a way that is relaxing without being blatant about it. I haven’t eaten at Turf Club yet—if I am planning to eat dinner in/near SSR, there are so many great choices just across the water at Disney Springs that it is hard for Turf Club to make the cut.

The main counter service location is probably a bit above average for a Disney resort CS location, and perfectly serviceable. I’ve grabbed something in a pinch at the Paddock as well.

Between the resort’s ambiance and its easy access to Disney Springs, I think SSR is a pretty good choice for an adult couple at WDW.

Finally, don’t let individual reviews spook you. Every once in a while the Dining forum has a “worst meal ever” thread, and if you wait long enough eventually every Disney restaurant will be mentioned. The same will happen in a “best meal ever” thread. I’m convinced that is often because how we perceive a meal on a Disney vacation has a lot more to do with how hot/tired/flustered we are then the meal itself. Instead, try to look for bigger patterns and/or let the menus be your guide. For example, Goods to Go at Old Key West is nearly universally panned because the menu is so bare bones. But even there, a Disney burger is a Disney burger.

Not really unless you have a disability, and then you can take a bus. 15-20 minutes from most areas of SSR.
I think the pp was pointing out that Downtown Disney is in California, a million miles away (had to get a Plimsouls plug in there pirate: )

Book Boardwalk or Beach Club

Roughly same cost renting and much better location and if you can get a Boardwalk View for BWV even better.

Also SSR could lead to you being a long long ways from Disney Springs which is blown away by you having a park hopper and just going in to Epcot for the night.

Fall back Riveria but it's going to be more expensive.

We really like the QS food at the Paddock pool. Tasty salads and sandwiches, more unique. If you enjoy walking, it is a beautiful and pleasant walk to Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter