Is the food at Sanaa as "exotic" as it sounds?

summermac

DIS Veteran
We have an ADR but after looking at the menu, I'm rethinking it. I know for sure my daughter (age 6) won't eat anything there and was planning on getting her something at AK before we leave. Besides her, I have a somewhat picky 9 year old and a very picky mom.

What say you?

Our DVC home is Kidani and have been to Sanaa. It has a fairly limited menu and not much kiddo appeal. With so many other options available, I would go to Boma where there are some exotic items combined with American stands.

Actually we found Sanaa to be the most accommodating with our picky son. He wasn't liking anything on the menu and our waiter bent over backwards to get him something he would like. It ended up being one of the most relaxed meals we had- and healthiest for my son as well. We're also Kidani DVC members and have made a reservation at Sanaa for our next trip down.

That said, Boma is good too. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either!

I refuse to pay the outrageous dinner price at Boma so that's out.

Still debating...

Oh heavens, no. The menu's descriptions are accurate to a point, as far as ingredients. The actual dishes are quite mild, tasty, but not exotic in the sense of challenging a palate. You can always ask for the heat to be turned down, or the server can recommend the milder choices than a durban.

We really liked our meal, one of the highlights actually. For a person who has very limited tastes, I think the chef can come up with something. There are also some "regular" dishes offered.

Of course if you think it's not an option for one or more of your group, you should save for another time. You know your family's limits.

I wouldn't be too worried. In flavor, it's not as exotic as the menu makes it sound. This is not "true" Indian food -- It's definitely been watered down in terms of flavor and heat so as to appeal to the wider audience of American palates. In fact, that was my biggest complaint about Sanaa, but for a less-adventurous eater, it would be perfectly acceptable and a "safe" intro into Indian foods. For instance, Naan is just a buttery bread, Paneer is cheese (bland, at that), Samosas are fried pastry filled with potato and a couple of peas (and quite delicious), and Lassi is a smoothie, more or less. Sanaa is using the Indian terminology but I think you'll find it's pretty similar to foods and flavors you're already used to.

Oh heavens, no. The menu's descriptions are accurate to a point, as far as ingredients. The actual dishes are quite mild, tasty, but not exotic in the sense of challenging a palate. You can always ask for the heat to be turned down, or the server can recommend the milder choices than a durban.

We really liked our meal, one of the highlights actually. For a person who has very limited tastes, I think the chef can come up with something. There are also some "regular" dishes offered.

Of course if you think it's not an option for one or more of your group, you should save for another time. You know your family's limits.

I agree with this poster.

Exotic? Hardly. If I can buy the sauces necessary to make these dishes in my local grocery store, it's not exotic. And these dishes are (by and large) not as spicy or hot as you may think they are.

If your children are too picky to eat a cheeseburger, chicken breast, or macaroni, then you should find a different restaurant that has something on the menu that they will eat.

In my opinion Sanaa is not at all exotic - it is designed to appeal to a wide variety of diners. I very much enjoy sitting near the window with a view of the animals - very special.

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (*rev 12/01/2013*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on savannah)

NOTE1: Has good regional African food. Americanized, but definitely more adventurous
than other eateries. The menu is shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list
average, but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added benefit is the
viewing animals on the Savannah during the meal (for daylight hours). There are eight
window tables and six more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face
sandwich; for dinner, try the beef and lamb. Don't miss out on the Banana Kulfi Sundae.
We really like the bread appy/sampler, as well as the salad sampler with three salads;
either will feed two people. Be aware that items labeled as "Durban" are highly spiced,
best washed down with cold milk! It is out of the way, but is worth the long drive. This
is only one of the five sit down eateries we patronize at WDW. In our opinion, Sanaa is
better than Jiko or Boma. As a side note, Sanaa changed their "trio dessert" in October
2013. We were not impressed as the previous version. In fact, color us underwhelmed. As a
postscript, they accomodate kids really well.

NOTE2: We prefer the lunch over the dinner.
. . . the fare is a little lighter
. . . the price is better
. . . the appys and salads are the same
. . . the lower number of people eating
. . . the ability to see animals on the savannah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter