Is the drink package worth it on a 5 night cruise?

1Grumpy9

DIS Veteran
I am booked for a 5 night Bermuda cruise on the Anthem in September and I was all for getting the Deluxe beverage package, but now I am thinking about just getting the Refreshment package...

What are your thoughts about getting the Deluxe on a 5 night cruise?

Exactly what Sam said. Only you can make this decision because only you know what sort of appetite and tolerance for drinks you have.

I agree with the previous posters. For some people it's worth it and for others, definitely not. I would look at cruise critic and see if you can find recent menus for prices. Then figure out how much you would need to drink to make it worthwhile. It also includes specialty coffees and teas, bottled water, bottled sparkling water and fresh juice

Last edited:

Thanks for the info...I was definitely looking at since I drink a lot of specialty coffees (lattes and mocha), and knowing what Starbucks prices are, that one or two of them a day and getting a couple of specialty drinks and a glass or two of wine during dinner would be worth it.

On our recent Adventure of the Seas cruise a 16 ounce iced latte was 3.75 (plus 18% gratuity). To give you perspective of the cost of espresso based drinks.

And drinks were around 11ish (again, plus that gratuity).

When you get the package gratuity is charged up front so you don't have to worry about that again (unless your bartender or barista is awesome and you WANT to tip extra).

Port days factor into our planning as well. If you are going to be doing port excursions all day, then you are not likely to be onboard using the drink package as much. We find it more valuable on sea days and port days when we stay on the ship.

That being said, I think the real benefit of the package is the carefree, all-inclusive attitude it promotes. When we don't have the packages, we buy fewer drinks because I am constantly thinking "Do I really want a $10 drink right now," or "No, I'll wait and get a glass of wine with dinner or a drink at the show later." With the package, we just always say "yes!" Without it, we certainly consume fewer calories ;), but it's just not as relaxing. I like to try different drinks, so having the beverage package means I can order whatever I want, and if I don't like it (or happen to get a bad bartender) I don't have to ask to have it remade or anything semi-confrontational. I just leave it and order a different one! May not sound like much, but it is a whole different attitude onboard!

Port days factor into our planning as well. If you are going to be doing port excursions all day, then you are not likely to be onboard using the drink package as much. We find it more valuable on sea days and port days when we stay on the ship.

That being said, I think the real benefit of the package is the carefree, all-inclusive attitude it promotes. When we don't have the packages, we buy fewer drinks because I am constantly thinking "Do I really want a $10 drink right now," or "No, I'll wait and get a glass of wine with dinner or a drink at the show later." With the package, we just always say "yes!" Without it, we certainly consume fewer calories ;), but it's just not as relaxing. I like to try different drinks, so having the beverage package means I can order whatever I want, and if I don't like it (or happen to get a bad bartender) I don't have to ask to have it remade or anything semi-confrontational. I just leave it and order a different one! May not sound like much, but it is a whole different attitude onboard!

We are at port a half day and a full day, so that does work into the factor of the plans. But I did a quick figure and between the drinks and wine it would be just as much as the drink package.

You make some really good points with the "trying" of drinks or wine. Of course, if you find one of those drinks that you like, you can get a couple of them without a worry. It is like having free dining at Disney, you aren't as worried what you order as you would be if you were paying out of pocket.

In March I did a 12 day cruise on the Anthem and I found that the two bottles of wine I brought on board and the daily drink deals where better for me than any drink package.

In March I did a 12 day cruise on the Anthem and I found that the two bottles of wine I brought on board and the daily drink deals where better for me than any drink package.

What were the daily drink specials like?

I don't think I can stomach $700 dollars in drinks.

What were the daily drink specials like?

I don't think I can stomach $700 dollars in drinks.

The daily drink happy hour specials consisted of 2 for 1 margaritas, mojito, cosmopolitan, long island iced tea and mai tai. Obviously it was a different drink each day so you didn't have a choice and some where better than others (some where pre-made in big jugs). I traveled with my friends and we would each purchase a round of these special drinks each day and that was plenty for all of us.
I agree there was no way I could stomach $700 dollars in drinks either.

On the other hand, when I have a package, I'm constantly thinking "am I getting my money's worth?"

Somewhere on Cruise Critic there is a calculator to see if the package works for you at full price. I was able to purchase the highest package for $46 pp/pd plus gratuity. I did a rough calculation an looked at drink menus posted on the site. Two $10 drinks and two $13 glasses of wine with meals is break even. Grab 2-4 bottles of water per person per day and 1-2 espresso based coffee each and you've got yourself a winner without having to go bar to bar throughout the cruise getting your money's worth at full price (according to the aforementioned calculator) Now figure in if one of your ports is Labadee or Coco Cay the drinks there are on the plan. So your beachside umbrella drinks are included.

Only you can determine what will work best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter