Is the Christmas Party worth it?

hookedonears

Louisianan
We've going to the World the first part of December 2016. This will be our first trip during Christmas and are considering doing the Christmas Party. Is it really worth it? The biggest advantage I've heard is that the attractions are much less crowded. Besides that, is there anything else that brings people back year after year?

We've going to the World the first part of December 2016. This will be our first trip during Christmas and are considering doing the Christmas Party. Is it really worth it? The biggest advantage I've heard is that the attractions are much less crowded. Besides that, is there anything else that brings people back year after year?
IMO, no it isn't worth the expense.

I think it is worthwhile to do it at least once. I know you'll see a lot of complaints about how the parties are so much more crowded anymore, but we did the Christmas party 2 years ago and MNSSHP this year (sold out parties) and still found it to be less crowded than our regular days in April/May.

They have some great shows, an awesome parade, snow on Main Street. It's an extra magical feeling to me with all the décor and snow and cocoa and cookies. We followed touring plans shared here and did not fight any crowds at the Christmas party except for the actual fireworks. But our Halloween party experience this year was completely different in that respect so I think the hub construction very positively impacted the crowds for castle shows/fireworks.

During the first parade for both shows we had many walk on, or 10 minutes or under, rides.

3459961.jpg

I would decide based on your personal finances.

If the price seems like a lot of money to you, then I would say it won't be worth it.
If you think the cost is reasonable, then you will see more value for what you paid.

We went last year and had a great time, but we only went to the party (spent two nights on property and party ticket was the only time we went to a park). In that situation, it was definitely worth the price. Cheaper than a one day ticket, we rode every attraction, and the Christmas atmosphere was something I remembered fondly from my childhood. It was a great Christmas present for my family and I would consider doing this again.

However, if we were there for our usual 10 day+ trip I would not have paid the extra money for the party. I just don't feel the "extras" would be worth the additional cost if I already had purchased a park ticket for that day.

We have been going to Mickey's Christmas Party since 1999 but stopped going some years ago due to the continued reduction of special items (like free family photos) and increased crowds. If you can find a night that is not too busy it would be a fun time but most nights appear to be greatly oversold and lines are long.

We did a party last Christmas, and it wasn't worth it. It was extremely crowded. Long lines for rides and character meets. We will just save our money next time:)

this year we did both the halloween and christmas parties for the first time. we enjoyed them both, but i actually had more fun at the halloween party. part of that was seeing the amazing and creative costumes that the guests had come up with. it sounds like there might not be costumes in the future so next year's party might be different. i really liked watching the headless horseman ride out and loved the boo to you parade. also liked the castle and fireworks shows. the christmas party was also really nice but i am not sure i would do it again. don't get me wrong, i loved the parade and fireworks but it might be a one and done for us. i agree with previous posters that it's nice to do the parties once and see what you think.

I think it's worth it if you're not going to the park that day, or if you're not using a multi-day pass. That way the money gets close to almost equalling out to a standard-hours day, and there are neat things to see.

The lines are long, but since they don't have FP merges, they move faster than normal SB lines.

The character M&Gs are a nightmare in some cases, not so much in others. The rare ones are tough, though. Disney has a good Santa, if your kids haven't seen Santa yet this year.

Just don't expect light crowds or a much different experience than you'd have otherwise. If you want to skip parades, ride lines can be shorter. Skellington, Sandy Claws and the Dwarfs are never short lines, so you have to decide how much of your ticket is worth waiting to meet unusual characters. I have a friend who says that Disney is all about the pictures you get, so if you feel the same way, some of those are M&Gs are worth a lot. Or not, depending on your take. But i don't think you can do it halfway -- you're either there for the rides or you'r there for the shows/parades/characters. It's a hard night to try and do both.

Oh yeah, here's something to add, though. If you want to see the MK at night, one of the parties might be the best way to do it this time of year, because with so many parties and so few non-party nights, I imagine those non-party nights get pretty nasty. So if you've had enough of daytime MK, it might be worth it to go to a party an see it in (maybe) less crowded conditions.

We went to both for the first time this year as well. I think the Halloween party is worth the cost more so than the Christmas party but we did enjoy both. I would say if the cost is reasonable for you, it's definitely worth it to go at least once. The character lines tend to be the worst thing. We didn't have an issue with the parades or fireworks viewing even though they were both sold out parties.

Personally for me...Yes. We really enjoyed the parade and fireworks. We really had a great spot for both. We also got to walk on some rides which was great. Besides, that we also saved a park admission for that day. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Although I would definitely go in earlier than 7:00 next time.

I am also in the YMMV crowd. DD21 and I went on a super quick trip just to see the lights and do the party. $75 for 8-9 hours park time was fine. We only did party things, mostly character greetings that you can't otherwise do plus parade and fireworks. It would be hard for me to justify the expense for my entire family on top of multi-day tickets, though, and really, my boys and DH don't like any of those things anyway. They would have been much better off, had they been with us this trip, at another park using regular tickets.

We love it. BIt we would never use a reg ticket and buy the party ticket. That is a waste of money. We were there in nov and just went to the party. we arrived about 5 and around 6 the crowds started thinning. Had very low wait times for the rides.

I went this year, in November. I'm glad I went but I don't think I would go again (it isn't a convenient time of year for us to go)!

There are cool things that you can only see/do at the party.

I have a young child who doesn't do well with late nights so going until midnight didn't work well for us so we didn't get the most out of it.

So, like others have said, it depends.

Yes it depends.. If it's after mid december and things like the xmas parade are happening for all guests, there is less available that is party only. If it's prior to that, it's the only way to see that part of the xmas at magic kingdom and I think it's much more worth it. I'm very happy we've done it in the past and I do recommend seeing it once if your budget allows. I can take it or leave it in the future however if I was traveling with people who have never been to a hard ticketed event, my gift to the group would be a ticket to the party to experience it once... If you go in thinking "we'll do MK less crowded", it's not worth it. If you go in to "celebrate the season as a group" then it really does add to the experience of holidays at wdw.

Absolutely not. It was horrendously crowded. And it was dark. And we couldn't see anything.

Except for the fireworks. We could see that. Still not worth it for the cost for a family. E-gads.

We went this year for the first time and it was on our first day of our trip so we used that as our park ticket that day since we didn't get into town until about 2:00. As others have said the fireworks and parade are nice and while its not as good and the Halloween party its still a good time. It was crowded but not as crowded as most of the other nights of our trip. We got there around 5:00 and left at midnight so I think we got our 80.00 per person out of it.

We went once but would not go again. Yes it was easier to get on some rides but just not worth it. The cookies they give out are the same at every single place, the parade was nice but again just not worth the extra expense. Now the Halloween party we love!

I preferred it to the Halloween party but I think both are easily skippable if it doesn't work for your budget. We enjoyed the parade and fireworks. Characters it was hard to figure out who was where, so that was annoying. My DD loved the dance parties/shows but she enjoyed plenty at Disney. It was easier to get on some rides, but we found going to MK on a party day there were low crowds there all day anyway and we'd go to dinner afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter