Is the animation academy still there?

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
Is the animation academy still there where you can draw a character with a Disney artist?

Is the animation academy still there where you can draw a character with a Disney artist?

Yes. I did it this past Monday. It's every half-hour on the :00 and :30 and there is a schedule of the character to be drawn just outside of the queue (inside the Animation building).

Was it really crowded? Did you have to show up really early or just a few minutes before?

Was it really crowded? Did you have to show up really early or just a few minutes before?

It wasn't bad at all. I was just killing time for a GOTG FP window to start and I wandered into the building. I was wandering around in there (coolest room in DLR by the way) and then decided to hop in the line about 15 minutes prior. Peopel filled in after me. A lot of them were just coming out of the last session and went right back to it. I don't know if other sessions are more crowded. This was about 3 PM.

I've only done it a couple of times, but both times there were a ton of extra seats - the room was probably less than half-full. It's a great way to relax and enjoy a little personal space.

We did the Animation Academy five times on our last trip. We usually arrived 5-15 minutes early, but I don’t think any of them were completely full. But if it’s a popular character or popular time, it wouldn’t hurt to arrive a little early. We drew Jack, Sally, Baymax, Oswald, and Pluto. This is a screensaver I put together of my family’s Pluto drawings:

EB0331E6-999C-4846-91C0-91B2E7B6632A.jpeg

We did the Animation Academy five times on our last trip. We usually arrived 5-15 minutes early, but I don’t think any of them were completely full. But if it’s a popular character or popular time, it wouldn’t hurt to arrive a little early. We drew Jack, Sally, Baymax, Oswald, and Pluto. This is a screensaver I put together of my family’s Pluto drawings:
View attachment 317851

Wow, those are so good! My Dug turned out pretty lousy, ha ha!

Those are some nice Plutos! How old are your kids? I took my oldest last summer. She likes to draw, but had just turned 7. She was frustrated and didn't finish her drawing. I gave her mine and she keeps it on her wall. We haven't been again, but I want to take her this summer. Hoping she'll persevere through it this time.
Scrooge.jpg We got to draw Scrooge.

Wow, those are so good! My Dug turned out pretty lousy, ha ha!

Thanks! I would love to draw Dug! Or any of the characters from Up. It’s one of my favorites.

Those are some nice Plutos! How old are your kids? I took my oldest last summer. She likes to draw, but had just turned 7. She was frustrated and didn't finish her drawing. I gave her mine and she keeps it on her wall. We haven't been again, but I want to take her this summer. Hoping she'll persevere through it this time.
View attachment 317866 We got to draw Scrooge.

Thank you! My kids are 11 and 15. My 11-year old did the Pluto on the bottom right and my 15-year old did the drawing on the upper right.

Animation academy is a fantastic experience that many people don't take advantage of. But then again, I love the fact I can go there and the place is often half full or less. Its a great thing to do, especially on a hot afternoon. I'm not really in to art but the art store next door to Animation Academy is exceptional. They also put many of the classes they give on YouTube so you can do it at home.

I love the animation academy too. You can always get in, it’s a great break (especially on a hot day), and you have a fun souvenir to take home. I usually draw mine a little smaller so I can tear it out and paste it into my travel journal.

Would animation academy be too hard for a 4 and 7 yr old? Do they have anything geared for younger kids?

We loved Animation Academy! We drew Winnie the Pooh when we were there in 2010 and our daughter was 7. When the artist asked if anybody had questions, her hand shot up and she said “Winnie the Pooh is named after the city I’m from!” She was so excited. He came to talk to her after and gave her his signed drawing :) Disneyland is magical like that...

Would animation academy be too hard for a 4 and 7 yr old? Do they have anything geared for younger kids?

Our kids were 4 and 7. Their drawings turned out really cute, and it was a very nice place to relax out of the heat.

I have drawings of Mickey Mouse that my family did when my kids were about 7 and 4. I love those drawings! If I can find them (we just did a remodel and stuff is still packed away), I’ll snap a picture and post them.

Ooh, thanks for sharing. I had no idea this existed. I think my 6 year old would love this! Where is it located in the park?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter