Is table service dining without an ADR impossible?

JFDIS

Mouseketeer
I’m planning a trip at the end of September and our close friends will be joining us. It will be four adults and three toddlers. We will be staying at YC and plan on doing park days at HS & Epcot. I am having a really difficult time finding ADR’s for our party. The only decent places available are all in DS or a long bus ride away. We would be eating early around 5. Do you think it’s impossible to get a spot if we try walking up somewhere? Would it change anything if I called Disney for an ADR?

Unfortunately, your party size is probably what's hurting you some. The restaurants are at limited capacity and they don't seem as open to moving tables around as usual.

I do think dining is much harder right now simply due to the limited capacity and limited restaurants. But, like before, setting up a dining finder can be helpful. People change plans so frequently that you'd probably be able to snag your top choice as it gets closer. I have not tried walking up but think it's always worth a try if you think the toddlers can handle the flexibility if you are turned away and have to punt.

We have been several times now and used to just go with the flow in regards to dining and that's much harder to do right now. It's extremely limited (quick service/carts, too) and I get hangry fast so we have put a big priority on thinking ahead on meals going forward.

Wallis Walkins typically weren't possible back in the normal days, but who knows now? People usually have luck booking just a day ahead of day of, due to last minute-ish cancellations to avoid the charge.

Or, when you're approaching wanting to eat, open the app and see what's available.

edited to correct auto"correct"

Last edited:
So I’ll keep stalking for ADR’s. I have a trip in two weeks at Poly and have almost all my meals planed with room for quick service. I just know what it’s like to be circling World Showcase looking for dining with a hangry group. I also know the displeasure of a Backlot express burger. Ill planning is why lots of people leave a Disney vaca saying the food was disappointing. I appreciate the feedback

So I’ll keep stalking for ADR’s. I have a trip in two weeks at Poly and have almost all my meals planed with room for quick service. I just know what it’s like to be circling World Showcase looking for dining with a hangry group. I also know the displeasure of a Backlot express burger. Ill planning is why lots of people leave a Disney vaca saying the food was disappointing. I appreciate the feedback

Have you tried looking for an ADR for 8 instead of 7? The system tends to not like odd numbers. You won't be penalized for showing up with 7 instead of 8.

Wallis Walkins typically weren't possible back in the normal days, but who knows now? People usually have luck booking just a day ahead of day of, due to last minute-ish cancellations to avoid the charge.

Or, when you're approaching wanting to eat, open the app and see what's available.

edited to correct auto"correct"

I never made reservations and have always either walked up, or looked that day for an ADR that became available. I did not do this with the few "always booked" places, but pretty much anywhere else it was not an issue. The best thing to do is to go at off times, like when the restaurant first opens for dinner of if they are open all day, a late lunch or early dinner. It is definitely not impossible. Now with what is going on, who knows what is going to happen and it is better to book ahead. But in normal situations, it is most definitely possible to walk up.

Have you tried looking for an ADR for 8 instead of 7? The system tends to not like odd numbers. You won't be penalized for showing up with 7 instead of 8.
I will definitely try! Thanks for the tip!

I thought they weren’t seating parties larger than 4 or was it 6?

It must depend on the restaurant as to how large of a party they accept. I’m realizing that half of the places I’m trying for only accept 4. Oddly enough I did search for a party of 8 instead of 7 and got different results.

For what it's worth, we ate at The Wave last weekend and there were several large parties around us. One behind us had at least 8 or 9 people (I watched them move the tables around to make a big enough spot for them) and another nearby had 10 or 12. So it probably greatly depends on the restaurant and it's layout. The Wave is pretty wide open so they could probably get a bit more creative in arrangement.

I've also found that playing the numbers game is often the only thing that works. For many restaurants, you simply can't make a reservation for 1 so I've learned to make it for 2 and just tell them I'm on my own. I also play with the odd vs even and get different results since you aren't out anything if less people show up.

From my experience in July, the restaurant capacity is greatly reduced and there are fewer open restaurants, so it may be harder to find a reservation. Before the pandemic, I was successful finding many great options either the night before or same day, but again, this was before the pandemic and we are a party of 4, which Disney just loooves.

Having said that, I just read this little piece of news that walk-up availability will now be listed in MDE and you will be able to join virtual restaurant queues. With toddlers, I would very much prefer the certainty that we are eating somewhere at the right time, but putting this out there since it is new and may help you find options the day of.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/08/tabl...-waiting-room-coming-to-my-disney-experience/

I heard most places are only seating tables of 6 max right now. That may be throwing you off on several restaurants. See if you can break your party down in smaller groups to find times?

In the past I have always had good luck doing a walk up if I didn’t have an adr. I think I’ve only been told no once in the last 5 years. That said we are only a party of 2...which probably contributes a lot to our success.

From my experience in July, the restaurant capacity is greatly reduced and there are fewer open restaurants, so it may be harder to find a reservation. Before the pandemic, I was successful finding many great options either the night before or same day, but again, this was before the pandemic and we are a party of 4, which Disney just loooves.

Having said that, I just read this little piece of news that walk-up availability will now be listed in MDE and you will be able to join virtual restaurant queues. With toddlers, I would very much prefer the certainty that we are eating somewhere at the right time, but putting this out there since it is new and may help you find options the day of.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/08/tabl...-waiting-room-coming-to-my-disney-experience/
Awesome! Thanks!

For what it's worth, we ate at The Wave last weekend and there were several large parties around us. One behind us had at least 8 or 9 people (I watched them move the tables around to make a big enough spot for them) and another nearby had 10 or 12. So it probably greatly depends on the restaurant and it's layout. The Wave is pretty wide open so they could probably get a bit more creative in arrangement.

I've also found that playing the numbers game is often the only thing that works. For many restaurants, you simply can't make a reservation for 1 so I've learned to make it for 2 and just tell them I'm on my own. I also play with the odd vs even and get different results since you aren't out anything if less people show up.

I have dealt with the party of 1 issue many times in the past. Last few trips I would make a reservation for 2 and then edit it to 1. I just made some reservations for my upcoming October trip today and I was surprised to find that I had no issues getting what I wanted as a party of 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter