Is SWGE impacting your trip? Discuss your plans here!

Not that they think it won't be an issue, but they must think it won't be as big an issue after a month. Or maybe they are too lazy to offer it after the first month, I don't know, but I'm still taking it as a good sign :teeth:.

I disagree with your thinking here. I think they do think it will be an issue which is why they are limiting it for that first month to get their bearings on how everything will work. Then everyone will have access after that.

I also think part of it is to control crowds a bit more during the first month of the first of these lands to open as they know there will be a ton of media nd bloggers there then so this way the picture and video they capture and send out will make it seem not soooo crazy

I am checking room availability every day in private or incognito mode. My week (9/28-10/4) still has 26 resorts open. I am thinking people are still not interested in September as 1, Rise of the Resistance won't be open, 2, still hurricane season, 3, they're afraid of SW:GE crowds, 4, still hot as heck, and 5, school just started. I am cautiously optimistic. My ADR day is April 1 and I keep changing my days around...I'm waiting for Kenny the Pirate to release his October calendar (he hasn't updated September yet and has alluded he will not change it). Everyone's ADR postings about what they have been able to book are really positive so far. I only had 1 full HS day and now I am making it 2 to make time to hopefully get into Galaxy's Edge one morning and I expect that to take a good chunk of our day. If we can't get into GE we will have FP for hopefully Runaway Railway one day and SDD the other.

I wish we had an easy way to check room availability for all the hotels/resorts/vacation homes around the Disney property that are way cheaper than Disney rooms

I wish we had an easy way to check room availability for all the hotels/resorts/vacation homes around the Disney property that are way cheaper than Disney rooms
I think going to hotels.com, booking.com, priceline, etc would be the easiest way to check. I work in the hotel industry and wouldn't be surprised if hotels in the area have 2 or 3-night minimums to force a longer stay for around the busy times.

We already had a trip booked for Nov 5-10. We actually decided to add a day and go Nov 4-10 so we can spend two days at H.S. I am by no means a disney expert but this is what I have planned so far. Can someone tell me what you think? And any fast pass recommendations? Travel day dinner at Ohana. Day 1 H.S. eat at Sci Fi. Day 2 M.K. eat at ? Day 3 rest eat at Storybook. Day 4 H.S. again eat at 1900 park fare. Day 5 A.K. eat at Tusker House. Departure day eat table service breakfast somewhere, the Wave or Bon Voyage breakfast.

Flights bought, DVC points rented no way out now.

Disney Lied. For those of you without a calendar handy, Fall this year starts on the 23rd of September. My dates: 14-September through the 21st. Specifically chosen for low crowd calendars and PRE-Star Wars crazy invasion.

I don't begrudge anyone their fantasy of donning a light sabre and drinking blue milk, but that wasn't intended to be MY Disney experience. Disney doesn't give a damn about me or my plans its just a money grab.

Note that I haven't been since 2013. This trips is because my son was too short to go onto Space Mountain and other rides last time we were there. He wanted to experience those. so I made a trip for him and I.

Its been 6 years since I've been to the "World." I'd like to remind people here there is a world outside of the one Disney has prepared for you. I've been to Scotland, Ireland, Alaska, Mexico, Bermuda and other places. Had a damn good time; My suggestion for those of you gripping about crowds is to take a break; just one year and spend your money visiting the REAL world. The more Disney increases their prices, the more these other destinations compare favorably its not as expensive as you think. My kids were more excited about visiting Scotland than they ever were about the parks driving on the wrong side of the road is more exhilarating than any Disney ride I've been on.

I tuned into this thread for help on what to do to make this a good experience, from what I've read so far this is new territory and everyone is just guessing including the crowd calendar people.

So stay flexible lower expectations and make the best of it.

That being said, its just the two of us. We are not saddled by strollers, wheelchairs or hundreds of pounds of excess body fat.

I also happened to have been in line back on May 25, 1977 to see this real cool new movie called Star Wars. Wouldn't mind visiting it if it is in the cards. If you happen to be there say hi. I'll be the one dressed like this as I enter the Death Star trash compactor also known as Galaxy's Edge.

dianoga-tall-1088x720.jpg

It seems like with all the rooms still available they could fill them pretty quick with a guaranteed access for resort guests , just like what there are doing for DL.
I know they said that wouldn't happen but they also said "late fall"..things could change if the rooms are not booked.

Call me crazy if you must, but a lot of the disney podcasts I'm listening to are saying it's going to be a new kind of crazy!!
So, my question is, since I have a 2 year old who isn't going to tolerate waiting in 40+ min lines to meet mickey or to eat lunch....... should we cancel our trip??

At this point we haven't cancelled, but we aren't going till Sept 10th...... So we have time.

Cancel or not? HELP!

Call me crazy if you must, but a lot of the disney podcasts I'm listening to are saying it's going to be a new kind of crazy!!
So, my question is, since I have a 2 year old who isn't going to tolerate waiting in 40+ min lines to meet mickey or to eat lunch....... should we cancel our trip??

At this point we haven't cancelled, but we aren't going till Sept 10th...... So we have time.

Cancel or not? HELP!
I would never recommend cancelling. Manage expectations though.

We have a trip booked for Nov 10. We are not cancelling. Hopefully things calm down a bit....or maybe they will announce the full opening will be Nov 11. :crazy2:
We've been pretty loyal WDW patrons, but this next trip will be a big test for Disney. We might decide to give it a break for a few years.
Disney is changing a lot, and some people are excited about it. While I am happy for those people, I just am not one of them.

It seems like with all the rooms still available they could fill them pretty quick with a guaranteed access for resort guests , just like what there are doing for DL.
I know they said that wouldn't happen but they also said "late fall"..things could change if the rooms are not booked.

I’m sure that option is on the table if they don’t fill the rooms to their satisfaction by a certain date. But if they fill on their own without it, why bother? Plus I’m sure they will pay attention to how the DL opening goes.

In short, they still can.

I would happy with EMH's for opening weekend like they did for Pandora. I plan on being there that weekend and I'd like to float in on a gondola and be able to at least get into SWGE :)
I was there for Pandora opening day and had a FP for FOP so that was great but no chance of that this time.

Last edited:
We are coming in October 13-20, Fall Break week. Normally, we avoid fall breaks, but my daughter wants to bring her friend who goes to school (we homeschool), so we're locked into this week. I expected this week to be rather crowded. When the announcement broke, I was stunned, scared, and a little excited, I image this trip will be more like what one would expect on Christmas day?

I'm normally a seasoned planner, but I feel a little stumped on how to proceed. I figure, I should plan on the "best of" highlights for this trip. Normally, we'd plan 1 day at HS. But now....I wonder if we should aim for more time there? We'll have 5 day hoppers (military), plus doing MNSSHP. We are big Star Wars fans, we came down for that 1st Galatic Nights back in April '17 so I know we want to try for GE. To complicate matters, I sustained a knee injury back in August, been in physical therapy ever since, so I'm a little worried about standing in crazy lines and the pacing of this trip.

What's on my mind now: Would it make sense to do any evening hopping to HS? Or start the day at HS, and then hop elsewhere after a few hours? Or try to stick it out for the entire day at HS?

We have a trip planned for 2 families. 4 adults, 5 kids for the week of 8/25-9/1. We have free dining and are really excited. I'm doing all the planning. Yes, I'm a little dissappointed that Galaxy's Edge is opening while we are there. However, I'm not letting it get me down!! We are going to have a great trip. I moved some of our plans around so that we can be done everything at HS by Wed to avoid it after the opening. We will have park hoppers so we can, hopefully, do what we want to in each park and if it gets crazy just hop away!! Or go for a swim...it will be August after all. I'm glad I made most of our dining reservations at the hotels so we are able to do this. I really feel it's going to be OK and most of the craziness will be at HS on the 29th and after.

We have a trip planned for 2 families. 4 adults, 5 kids for the week of 8/25-9/1. We have free dining and are really excited. I'm doing all the planning. Yes, I'm a little dissappointed that Galaxy's Edge is opening while we are there. However, I'm not letting it get me down!! We are going to have a great trip. I moved some of our plans around so that we can be done everything at HS by Wed to avoid it after the opening. We will have park hoppers so we can, hopefully, do what we want to in each park and if it gets crazy just hop away!! Or go for a swim...it will be August after all. I'm glad I made most of our dining reservations at the hotels so we are able to do this. I really feel it's going to be OK and most of the craziness will be at HS on the 29th and after.
Touring plans just did a video on this and they said that the MK and EPCOT parks would be the lest impacted parks the video was long but very good. You might and anyone going migh want to look at it ( it is on YouTube)

Cancel or not? HELP!

If you’re worried about it and you have the ability to reschedule to August, I’d reschedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter