Is Splash Mountain Splashier These Days?

goldengate1

Earning My Ears
I have been going to Disneyland for many years and always ride Splash Mountain many times. I am familiar with the "water cannons" they turn on when it's hot to shoot water at you when you're going up the first big conveyor. Last week I went to the park after couple years' absence and rode Splash again several times. In years past, the front passenger or two might get a bit wet, but not too bad, and nothing compared to Grizzly River Run. However on this trip we got soaked about 500% more than our rides on GRR, and it seemed to come mainly from one of the two indoor drops. Have they made a change to that section? Water literally poured into the ride vehicle. On one of the last rides of our trip, I took the front seat since no one else wanted to get wet, and it was literally as if someone took a 20 gallon bucket and dumped it over my head. I was totally soaked!

Don't get me wrong - we had a great time and laughed the whole way through, but I never remember those indoor drops being much at all - and now they seem to generate the most water in the log? Has anyone else noticed this?

There were a lot of anecdotal stories about people getting a lot wetter since the 2018 rehab - for reasons unclear. Some people wondered if they sped the ride up to increase capacity (ie, possibly raising the water level) so that the logs are hitting harder at the bottom of the drops.

I can't vouch for that, but I was definitely shocked by how wet I got in visits since then - to the point that I won't ride it now. (My last ride was in a pretty heavily-loaded log, too, which probably didn't help.) I just watch the video I shot a few years ago instead.

The degree of wetness at Splash varies considerably. CM's have some amount of control over the cannons that go off on the big drop and subsequent float around the corner. These are typically turned down during the cooler weather. Even so, most of the wetness is basically just a matter of chance.

The degree of wetness at Splash varies considerably. CM's have some amount of control over the cannons that go off on the big drop and subsequent float around the corner. These are typically turned down during the cooler weather. Even so, most of the wetness is basically just a matter of chance.

The person making announcements on the train last week talked about this, confirming they adjust the amount of splash based on the weather. We have become one of those families that wear ponchos. I also make sure my feet are up high in the log sides, since that is the most vulnerable, and miserable, thing to get wet. I love not being wet the rest of the day and not having to miss one of my favorite rides. Also, riding at night on cool nights means you get a better experience (ride is better at night) and the line is much shorter.

Yes the water cannons (on or off) have always been there... but what's really changed is the amount of water that gushes -- no, pours -- into the log during the first two drops inside the attraction. I did notice that the ride seems to be going faster so I think that those who say they sped it up after the refurb in 2018 are correct. Faster logs, more splash! :umbrella:

Oh my goodness my poor DS11 adores Splash and wanted to ride into he very front. He got insanely drenched on the very first drop by the snoring bear. Omg. Like an entire wave came over him. I felt so bad! Luckily it was a warm day but he was not thrilled to be that drenched. I had to wring out his shoes, socks and shorts. 😳

YES!! Exact same spot here, except it was the last ride of the last night and we had a relatively short walk to Grand Californian. I literally left a "drip trail" down Main Street LOL. I also remember the ride being slower so you could enjoy the audio animatronics more .... this time we FLEW through the interior show. On the positive side, there was zero backup for the final big drop vs. when the ride ran slower, I remember sitting there for several minutes while logs ahead of us went up. The two evil buzzards at that drop also seemed funnier than before... maybe 2018 refresh as well?

On related note - does anyone know how the water leaves the logs, mechanically speaking? It seems like they would fill up with water so much that they would be sinking, or you would be stepping into a bathtub. But if you have holes for it to drain, you no longer have a boat. Maybe holes just above the water line? But that would seem too high. Maybe a one-way valve of some sort?

Last edited:
We rode four times last week, never got super soaked. A little wet most of the time, and one ride where it was worse but not soaked. Always sat in the back, except when my daughter and had a log to ourselves. I believe total weight in the log matters in addition to location. Also as previously mentioned, we lifted our feet at the drops to keep them under the side of the log as much as possible. Wet shoes are the worst!

So glad I saw this thread! I’ve never been to DL before, just WDW, and I haven’t gotten particularly wet lately on WDW Splash. I’ll be sure to wear my quick dry stuff when I hit Splash next month.

Yep, it's wetter now and has nothing to do with water canons. The worst seating positions are 1 and 3. Both will be drenched, 1 from the front and 3 from water over the sides during the 2 indoor drops. Like, you will literally get a lap full of water come over the side of the boat. Positions 2, 4, 5 and 6 somehow seem spared the worst of it.

Lol, my luck has always been getting drenched on Splash (as well as any other water rides). No matter how dry everyone else stayed. I guess I will definitely need a change of clothes whenever I finally return to DL:)

I was there last week and when I was standing in line for another ride one morning, there were two girls in front of me that were pretty much soaked on one side. I remember thinking..is that from Splash Mtn?? but I was very confused as I've never gotten that wet on Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom and it was my first time at DL, plus they couldn't have been on GRR since it was early in the morning. I didn't go on splash that day, just in case. I guess splash mountain at DL does splash people more :rotfl:

I was there last week and when I was standing in line for another ride one morning, there were two girls in front of me that were pretty much soaked on one side. I remember thinking..is that from Splash Mtn?? but I was very confused as I've never gotten that wet on Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom and it was my first time at DL, plus they couldn't have been on GRR since it was early in the morning. I didn't go on splash that day, just in case. I guess splash mountain at DL does splash people more :rotfl:

I have definitely gotten drenched on Splash Mountain (and I'm talking about before 2018 renovations since my last trip to DL was in 2016).

Our log took on so much water last time that I thought we were going to sink. It didn't help that my buddy, who is a fairly large flla, got put right in the front! Our shoes got soaked and it was miserable. One of the mantra's from that trips was the desire to remove Splash Mountain and move everything back into America Sings!

Our log took on so much water last time that I thought we were going to sink. It didn't help that my buddy, who is a fairly large flla, got put right in the front! Our shoes got soaked and it was miserable. One of the mantra's from that trips was the desire to remove Splash Mountain and move everything back into America Sings!

From getting wet on a water ride? It's all in fun.

From getting wet on a water ride? It's all in fun.

There's wet and then there's absolutely soaked to the bone! We got wetter on Splash that trip than I EVER have on Grizzly River run or Kali River Rapids, rides where I expect more water. The fact that the boat had at least 6 inches of water pooled in the bottom is a problem, not what should be the norm for a water ride!

Last edited:
The problem at DL is that you are drenched BEFORE the big drop. From the waist down, you are drenched from water coming in over the side. And your face too. You are not splashed, you are monsooned. We have ride photos from top of big drop, and we are already drowning. WAY different from the MK experience; and it has not always been this way. Last time we rode was pre Covid, not sure how it is today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter