Is Public Transport Safe in LA

As far as the above, LACMA is currently a shell of its former self having recently undergone much demolition at the start of a multi-year refurb. I let my membership go, so I am not at all sure of what they’re charging these days, but I would not pay full price to visit the three buildings currently available. Right next door is the Academy of Motion Pictures Museum…sister visited this weekend and had rave reviews. Probably a better use of your time if you are looking for more to do while visiting the Tar Pits (all three of these museums reside on one giant city block).

This I would agree with. When it’s running on all cylinders, LACMA is a fantastic art museum. While it’s collection may be diverse, it does share many flavors with other similar institutions (The National Art Gallery, The Metropolitan, the Art Institute, etc.). The Academy Museum is a rare treat and captures an industry and culture that is unique to Los Angeles.

Last edited:
As for taking public transit, be aware you will be spending a great deal of time waiting for busses and trying to time connections depending on how many things you are trying to do in a day.

I always wonder when people say things like this, do you take public transport in your day to day life? This is normal for those of us who use city buses in our day to day life, we just deal with it. We know how to make public transport systems work for us, and its automatic when visiting somewhere like LA and using the public transport on holiday to allow for delays and waiting for buses. We just build it into our day, the same as we do when at home.

The bus stops are often used as shelter by those experiencing homelessness.

Thats the same as where I live and in most European cities. As someone who is used to public transport in day to day life, I'm not bothered, but people who are using public transport as a novelty on their holiday and who might not see homeless people in their day to day life, its a good thing to point out. :)

I always wonder when people say things like this, do you take public transport in your day to day life? This is normal for those of us who use city buses in our day to day life, we just deal with it. We know how to make public transport systems work for us, and its automatic when visiting somewhere like LA and using the public transport on holiday to allow for delays and waiting for buses. We just build it into our day, the same as we do when at home.

Public transit isn't exactly the same everywhere in the world. If someone lived in a city where almost every bus runs at a frequency of every 5-15 minutes, it may come a shock that many buses in LA may run only once every half hour during some parts of the day and they frequently cancel buses for random unannounced reasons such as a driver not showing up for work. The time difference between Uber and public transit can also be quite substantial in LA compared to the time difference experienced in some other cities. For example, Santa Monica to LAX could be a 15-20 minute Uber, an hour bus ride or a 2+ hour roundabout tour on rail. In cities where the subway system is more developed such as large cities in Asia, most visitors would rarely need to take a bus.

I also want to remind…that uphill especially late at night to the Universal Hilton is really a steep climb… glad somebody mentioned it! (post #13)

If you visit is during summer, check out the schedule for the HollyWood Bowl. I always stay at the Universal Hilton and include a trip to the Hollywood Bowl ! Especially if it is a Disney themed event!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter