• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Precheck worth it?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We flew to MCO in May and did not have to take everything out/off for security on the way back. It made for a much easier experience. Is this the future for TSA, or do we still need to sign up for Precheck? Is there a special line that is shorter & quicker when you have it, or do they just allow you through the regular security line without having to pull your electronics etc out? Just trying to decide if its worth it for the 3 of us since we only fly or twice each year.

I certainly think it is worth it if you fly at least a few times per year. Many credit cards will also reimburse you for the cost of Pre-check. Where there are separate lines for Pre-check, you don't have to take off your shoes or remove PC's which helps speed things along. I also find that people in the Pre-check lines tend to be more experienced travelers who already know the routine. A lot of people who fly seem to act like this is their first time at an airport, the procedures won't apply to them and generally seem clueless about what to do which tends to slow down the regular lines. At busy major airports, the shorter Pre-check lines can be a big timesaver.

Get it through a credit card that offers it for free, also pair it with clear ...though pre is the better one if you have to pick.

I will never fly without pre-check again. It's so much faster! Most airports have a dedicated line. In my experience, the ones that don't, it's because the security lines just don't get long enough. Not having to take anything off, remove anything from your bag, and just going through a metal detector instead of the body scanners are all worth it to me, even if you don't fly very often.

If you want TSA Pre-Check, also check on Global Entry. Global Entry is a little more work and expense to set up, but it includes TSA Pre-Check. Global Entry will save you some hassle on international flights.

Absolutely worth it for us. DW and I got it years ago. DD turned 13 this year and got signed up right away. DS will as well when he turns 13.

I've spent $15 for Genie+ for a day. $17 per year to "skip the line" at the airport and not deal with the shoes/belt/laptop/liquid bag hassle is a great value.

Yes it is absolutely worth it especially if you have kids under 13. I paid for it outright (no CC benefit for me) and it's been worth every penny especially when traveling with my kids.

Totally worth it. Especially at MCO. I have breezed through security there in under 10 minutes when the line at the main security is 30-45 minutes with a lot of queueing. Like another poster, I look at it as my $17/year fastpass through the airport(s).

I flew a couple years ago with 2 co-workers. I was the only one with pre-check, so I headed through that line. I waited at least 25-30 minutes for the other 2 to get through the regular line at a smaller airport. I has my shoes back on, been to the bathroom, read all my email, and eventually they did join me.

Yes, yes, yes, worth it all day long! The lines are always really quick. You don't have to take your shoes off. I will keep mine up to date for sure!

Hubby and I each have global entry off of two different credit card offers. That gets us precheck, plus our three kids. Not having to pull out all of the electronics for a family of five is SO MUCH easier than the regular line. I love my kids, but they are not efficient at getting things in and out of their bags and I'm sure they'd "help" me into being *those people* at the security line.

I probably would have cheaped out and not done it if not for the credit card benefits. That said, there are plenty of cards where the fee is waived the first year so you can open the card, hit the bonus, get the precheck/global entry, and then just close it before the annual fee comes knocking.

I've spent $15 for Genie+ for a day. $17 per year to "skip the line" at the airport and not deal with the shoes/belt/laptop/liquid bag hassle is a great value.
I look at it different... you spend $15 for the day, right? Which covers multiple lines. Would you think it's worth it if you have to pay $15 per LINE?

OP, I probably AVERAGE ~1 flight (RT)/year. Some years none, a couple 2. The cost of pre-check has not been worth it to me... especially since my originating airports are generally no big deal with security.

However, my CC now offers reimbursement for Pre-check so I signed up for it and used it for a (RT) flight back in January, and will use it next month. It's totally worth the price (keep in mind, my price is $0). I do see the benefit of Pre-check, and if I regularly had 2-3 trips each year, it would be a no brainer. If you (general) only do one a year, it may not be worth it.

I look at it different... you spend $15 for the day, right? Which covers multiple lines. Would you think it's worth it if you have to pay $15 per LINE?

OP, I probably AVERAGE ~1 flight (RT)/year. Some years none, a couple 2. The cost of pre-check has not been worth it to me... especially since my originating airports are generally no big deal with security.

However, my CC now offers reimbursement for Pre-check so I signed up for it and used it for a (RT) flight back in January, and will use it next month. It's totally worth the price (keep in mind, my price is $0). I do see the benefit of Pre-check, and if I regularly had 2-3 trips each year, it would be a no brainer. If you (general) only do one a year, it may not be worth it.
Lots of park goers think it's worth it to pay $15 to ride RotR or Guardians a single time.

I personally would most likely pay $15 to skip the regular security wait at MCO whenever it hit 45 minutes (if I was paying for the entire family) or 20 minutes if solo.

When we first purchased Pre, we were making 1 round trip flight to MCO per year. MCO is the reason we purchased. Not just for the shorter wait, but the easier screening process is valuable to be as well. DW and I now usually fly about 4 RT flights per year, and the children 2 RT flights. Obviously the more use we get out of it, the greater the value.

I've had Pre for 4 years and will never be without it again. I got a credit card that covers it but I would pay to keep it. I flew MSP-MCO on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2019, I saved 90 minutes that morning alone. It usually saves me 20 minutes or so every time I fly.

Clear is helpful. I have philosophical issues with it, I don't think that you should be paying a private company to skip to the front of a government line. But from what I've been told it's almost a necessity at MSP and ATL now. So many Delta frequent fliers have it that the Pre line can take almost as long if you don't have Clear as the regular security line. Outside of those two airports I've never been in a position where Clear would have saved me more than 5 minutes.

Yes. I have Global Entry and it comes with free precheck. I will probably get Global Entry again even though I haven't used it (darn Covid!).

We got PreCheck in 2014 and went with GE at renewal time. Like you, we haven’t used the GE part for the same reason, but we greatly use the PreCheck part. We’ll likely renew GE when it expires, in the hopes we can use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter