• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Poly really worth that much extra money?

I think you have gotten some good advice. Unfortunately vacations are a luxury so if the room is too expensive then it is just not worth it. A couple suggestions. If you really want to try it, pick the least expensive room you can find and go with that for the first part of your trip then book 2 nights at poly as the icing on the cake. Another option is to look at a DVC rental such as David's. It generally costs less than direct from Disney so it might not be as big of a hit to your budget.

I own DVC and had booked AKV for the whole trip I always wanted to stay at poly so I swapped and booked 3 nights at poly and I can't wait!! Good luck!

I stayed at the Poly once. My thought was that I wanted to stay there just once in my lifetime, so I've done my one time, and that's it. I did thoroughly enjoy staying there.

Personally, if you want to stay there once, for the experience, then go for it. For me, it wouldn't be worth it from a financial standpoint, to stay there again.

If you can't bring yourself to pay the high cost of staying there, the moderates are AWFULLY NICE.

5 years ago I upgraded to the Poly from POFQ to celebrate DHs 35th birthday. We got hooked and have stayed there every year since. We just love it. The resort is so nice. We tend to spend quite a bit of time at the resort and love the Oasis Pool. We do book at a significant discount through the travel agency referenced above.

I say yes, it's absolutely worth it. But, it's also my favorite resort, and I also have a history with it. It's the resort I've grown up staying in with my family, and now my husband and our kids. I also spend more time at the resort, or close to equal as I do the parks because we don't have a need to do everything anymore. It's a vacation on its own. But, if you are a rope drop to close, parks everyday family, it may not be worth it.

I really like the Polynesian, but cannot justify a whole week there so stay at All Star Music and upgrade the free dining from QS to regular. After a short day at MK we are taking the monorail to Poly, dropping the kid off at Lilo's Playhouse, taking the ferry to Grand Floridian then walking back along Seven Seas Lagoon to move the van to Poly for dinner at 'Ohana. After watching the MK fireworks from the Poly we'll drive back to ASM. On that morning I'll park at TTC and eat Tonga Toast for breakfast at Kona Cafe before meeting the family arriving at MK by Disney bus.

I've only had one experience which was negative, and this was during a family vacation. My daughter and family booked the Poly and got a good discount. They had never stayed there before. I have always dreamed of staying at the Poly, but it has always been too much for me to justify. So, I was really looking forward to seeing the room, etc. We always stay at POR, and love it.
My daughters room was dank and musty. Housekeeping did not pick up their trays from eating in the room one night. She cleaned the trays and set them up to be picked up,, but were ignored by HK for 3 days. She put them out in the hall, where they were never picked up. They joined several more rooms with trays outside in the hallway. They were not impressed with the monorail's many breakdowns/closures/hours. They all 5 stated they wished they had booked at POR. It was a let down experience. I was not impressed with the state of the room, the smell, etc.
So, after wishing I could stay at the Poly for many years, I finally can say I would not spend the money myself. My daughter's family always books POR now and also loves it. I know many on here love the Poly, and that's great! We only had one experience with the Poly, and unfortunately that was enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter