Is Planning a Summer 2021 Trip Crazy??

Yes, yes it is. :-) Can't believe anyone plans that far in advance. The 40th anniversary wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it'd be so this might not be too big of a deal unless it's on the actual date it opened

I'm not planning it yet we are going this year but the next time we go will be 2021. We only like to go to WDW with 2-3 years in between. End of this year to beginning of 2021 is essentially 3 years and change. I have other vacations I want to do the other years. We went back to back with only a year in between 2011/2012 and everything lost some charm. I would never be an AP holder unless I lived right there and then I would just have to change the way I think of the place.

I don't think it is crazy at all. Star Wars will be open for 2 years by that time leaving it to a manageable chaos. Maybe some of the Epcot reimagine will be done by then.

I also know every vacation I'm going on in between. Some of us like to plan and also once I pay off one vacation I have to start saving for next. I have small part work I do everyday just for a vacation fund.

We have been talking about wanting to head back to WDW in 2021 for the 50th. Is this crazy town? We always travel during the summer because I am a school employee and will have a school aged kiddo by then. I know crowds will be worse, but will it be unbearable?? Has anyone else traveled for a big anniversary year when special events are happening?

Yep.:ccat: First time I ever went was during the 25th (as PPs mentioned, still have my golden ears and cake castle photos to prove it!)

I was hooked and have back 7 times since, so the whole "special event" thing didn't turn me off at all!

So, no, it's not crazy!

I'm wondering about timing myself. At this point we are actually planning to skip June 2021 (nothing to do with it being the 50th) but based on timing of any celebrations we may change our future trip schedule.

I haven't officially started planning anything yet, but we will be there in 2021. My DD14 will be graduating from HS that year, so it was going to be a big trip anyway. But we will have a trip or two or four before then.

I have a dream spreadsheet already decked out in bright colors and a time share point strategy lined up. Hopefully going for two weeks to maximize this awesome trip experience!

Interesting discussion. I agree with some that it's a little far away to start planning, but no harm in selecting the time on the calendar and talking about stuff you'd want to do (especially if the trip has any parts outside of WDW). With all the changes, I just imagine the ideas and plans would change a lot, which would be fun too. Additionally, I know I drive my DH mad with planning a trip with just a year or 18 months to go, I think he'd kill me if I didn't stop talking about a trip 4 years away. Each to their own though :).

2021 will definitely be an exciting time for WDW. I have my next trip in Jan 2018, and thinking about taking a 3 to 4 year break after that. Lots of other places to see and ways to get the Disney fix.

We have been talking about wanting to head back to WDW in 2021 for the 50th. Is this crazy town? We always travel during the summer because I am a school employee and will have a school aged kiddo by then. I know crowds will be worse, but will it be unbearable?? Has anyone else traveled for a big anniversary year when special events are happening?
Hell NO its NOT too early... ! it will take you THAT LONG TO SAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR THE TRIP!! :love1::scared:

We also go to WDW every 3 to 4 years. We are going in December of this year and DH has already mentioned that he wants to go back for the 50th anniversary. So, I'm thinking about December 2021 or January 2022.

The 25th anniversary was celebrated over 15 months, starting October 1, 1996. So, will summer 2021 be a few months too soon?

We have two trips planned in our mind. Disney Land 2020, (Feb) my Hubs is sad we always do my son's or my Bday time (Oct and Nov) so we go for his bday in Feb March time. after StarWars land in DL is done.

Then we would love to go to WDW another time after all these big announcements are done and we would have to do that in 2022 or 2023 probably.

No, I don't think you're crazy. We talked about going for the 50th. It's on our radar, so if that's planning, then we are. We won't hammer out the specifics until closer to the time, but that's because we will have another trip before that!

No, it's not crazy!! My extended family is already planning to go 2021. My youngest DN will graduate from high school that year and we are planning to do DCL. She's the only one in our group of 9 that's under 18, so we want to wait until she's 18 so she can do all the "adults only " stuff DCL has to offer. And, of course we have to hit WDW for a few days before the cruise! So, we're not necessarily going because of the 50th Anniversary, but it will be cool if we can experience some of the celebration while we're there.

Last edited:
We will be there!! I am not in the planning stages because we have other trips in between. I have to go in the summer so I know it's going to extremely crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter