Is pin trading for kids still a thing?

jsgrant5

Mouseketeer
I will be going to DL in May with two kids who have never been. They are wanting to do pin trading. Does anyone know if they still do that with Covid? If so how does it work now? Thanks

When we were there earlier this week there were CMs with boards out at the shops, and I saw a CM with a foam Captain America shield with pins several times at the entrance to Avenger's Campus. We didn't do any trading, but it seems like it's still a thing.

How does it work exactly? My kids might like to do that but they've never tried it. Just wander up to CMs and ask if they want to trade? Are certain pins more tradable than others?

You've got it! They just wander up to CM's with pins and ask if they want to trade. They will show th CM the pins they want to trade and the CM will show the pins they want to trade. All pins are tradable but yes, there are some that more people want than others. That's the fun of it.

Most CM's will have pins they want to trade for just about anything so younger kids won't feel left out.

You've got it! They just wander up to CM's with pins and ask if they want to trade. They will show th CM the pins they want to trade and the CM will show the pins they want to trade. All pins are tradable but yes, there are some that more people want than others. That's the fun of it.

Most CM's will have pins they want to trade for just about anything so younger kids won't feel left out.
FYI, CMs are not trading directly right now, it’s only off pin boards (which CMs are monitoring). Take a pin, leave a pin.

Thanks! I'll have them go through their pins before the trip and pick some ones they'd like to trade.

How does it work exactly? My kids might like to do that but they've never tried it. Just wander up to CMs and ask if they want to trade? Are certain pins more tradable than others?
The best part about trading with CM's is that they always trade! So if you see a pin you want, you can trade any pin you have with them. My daughter (7 at the time) found it easy, and often spotted pin boards and would run right up to them to make trades. Definitely a highlight of our trips.

Yeah, we pretty much just looked for the cast members and boards. A couple times we traded with some little kids which was awesome to see the look on their face when they got a pin they liked.
Whenever we got one that we didn't want to trade I just tossed it in the backpack.

Trading with cast members works, trying to trade with the pin hobby traders does not, they always seem to have an attitude
I think it depends on the person (as in all things in life!). We have had a few of these hobby traders do a really nice trade for my son. We didn’t have anything great to offer and they did it anyway. It was obvious they were doing it to be nice.

I think it depends on the person (as in all things in life!). We have had a few of these hobby traders do a really nice trade for my son. We didn’t have anything great to offer and they did it anyway. It was obvious they were doing it to be nice.
Yes, I think you are right. I mean it's people at Disney after all! It's the happiest place on earth :-)

We last visited DL in 2017, and my two pre-teens (at the time) enjoyed pin trading for the first time. They would like to do more on our trip next month.

What is the status of pin trading now? Are there as many boards available for potential trading as there were pre-COVID? Has CM trading resumed?

I did pin trading a few weeks ago. There are boards in many shops both in the parks and Downtown Disney. You ask to see the boards, you take a pin from the board and put a pin on the board. The cm's dont handle the pins.

Just be warned though, the pin quality is very poor. Its obvious the majority are fake/ scrappers as the same pins are on multiple boards.

That's good to hear they are trading again! I had hoped for my son to be able to do some trading on the UK Staycation cruise last summer but they weren't doing this at the time!

It's a shame they are not being as diligent with removing scrappers - although some I have purchased on eBay have not been too bad!

Does anyone know if they are still doing CM exclusive pins? These are some of my fave collections from WDW trips!

A cast member told me yesterday that they were just given permission to individually trade pins last week, but she said most CMs were choosing not to. Walking around the parks I only noticed one CM participating. Many of the stores had pin boards by the register for trading though, and there were a few guest pin traders set up by the shooting gallery in Frontierland.

I remember on our last trip (2017), there were pin boards on some little vendor carts (not sure what to call those). We would see them as we were walking from one ride to the next, and it was quick and easy to take a quick peek at the board to see if we wanted to make any trades. Are those boards back, too? Or will we need to go a little more out of the way to find them now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter