Is Pat Robertson "relevant" to mainstream Christians?

jimmiej said:
I'm not so quick to dismiss PR's thoughts. I do wish he would show better timing and maybe a little more tact.

What does timing have to do with anything? It would have been OK to say sixth months from now?

jimmiej said:
While God is the definition of Love, He is also Judgement.

He meaning God, not Pat Robertson.

We only have as far as the 9/11 to look at what fringe members of a decent religion will do when the wrong person influences them.

Pat Robertson is dangerous - and since he is considered an American religious leader (right or wrong) he is probably endangering the lives of our soldiers.

cardaway said:
I disagree, Rush is not considered fringe. At least my point on this current discussion is that Pat (and in your point Rush) has a majority, if not the number one portion of the demographic at any given time. Fringe is a group, person, who gets like 10% of the numbers those two have following them.

IMO his statment was not political. Sees to cut right to the core of the beliefs. At least to this guy, this is all about how Christians view the power of God, whether they like it or not.

If the other leaders disagree, I sure hope they say something.

I'd still say I diasagree that he represents a majority - unless the demographic you're refering to is his particular "flavor".

Also, I'm not saying that his current statement is political - just that I don't pay attention to him because I view him as a political agent, not a spiritual one. I don't think the church should have political agents in that sense.

I don't know why people aren't more skeptical of Robertson, Falwell, Dobson, and their like. Has anyone questioned the amount of money these people have made as "religious leaders"? That's not bad. The priest at my Episcopal Church maybe makes 50K for being on call 24/7.

As a Christian I'm offended that Pat Robertson thinks he's my spokesman. The only people I know that like him never had any church involvement and now have gotten all Goddy all of a sudden.

I have not read all the responses.

I consider myself a true 'Christian', fully believing in Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

And, NO, as for myself, and for most all other Christians that I know, we do NOT find Robertson relevant at all.

Sure he does have some followers. But, no, that does not define him as relevant to Christianity.

yeartolate said:
He meaning God, not Pat Robertson.

Hence my use of the capitol H.

yeartolate said:
Pat Robertson is dangerous - and since he is considered an American religious leader (right or wrong) he is probably endangering the lives of our soldiers.

That's what motivated my "bad timing" comment.

Galahad said:
I'd still say I diasagree that he represents a majority - unless the demographic you're refering to is his particular "flavor".

If one is to look at it as the entire Christian population split up as which specific human leader they are listening to at any given time, I'm saying his audience ranks right up there with the other majorities. Not even close to fringe.

Like I posted earlier, IMO people wanting to point out how small of an audience he has are just trying to discount his power so they can ignore him.

And we should not forget that it was a fringe element of Muslims with a vocal leader that killed thousands of Americans on 9/11.

Just as many Americans are somehow duped into believing that OBL (et al) speak for all Muslims, many Muslims may be duped into believing PR speaks for all Christians.

Robertson is a threat to Americans. If our President wants to bend the constitution to allow spying on Americans.....why does he not further bend the constitution to shut up one American that possible may cause harm (through retaliation) to innocent Americans. :confused:

At the risk of sounding like Judgy McJudgerson, I really believe Pat Robertson will have a lot to answer for when he leaves this world. I hate to think how many people are turned off of God because of what this fool spreads with his hateful attitudes.

yeartolate said:
And we should not forget that it was a fringe element of Muslims with a vocal leader that killed thousands of Americans on 9/11.

Just as many Americans are somehow duped into believing that OBL (et al) speak for all Muslims, many Muslims may be duped into believing PR speaks for all Christians.

Robertson is a threat to Americans. If our President wants to bend the constitution to allow spying on Americans.....why does he not further bend the constitution to shut up one American that possible may cause harm (through retaliation) to innocent Americans. :confused:

Oh puleeeze; You aren't even using a broad brush, you have the entire roller! Are you equally as outraged at the comments from the left, those which call our president a murderer and terrorist (Cindy Sheehan for just one example). Furthermore, there is no evidence that those living in this country who received telephone calls from Al Queda were even Americans. Robertson, as misguided as his comments were, were not calling for Jihad. I would say that that is a major difference.

Cindy Sheehan is not a religious leader.

I see Sheehan's comments for what they are, the ranting of a bereaved mother. One that has had no real closure. A closure she initially felt she might get if she had a real face to face (not a quickie face to face where he could not even remember what her name was). The situation has festered and now she is a poster child. The President could have made the "Sheehan" situation go away with a meeting where he actually knew her name and listened to her.

We do not know who was wiretapped without a warrant, but hasn't the President made it perfectly clear that he has every constitutional right to do so?

yeartolate said:

I see Sheehan's comments for what they are, the ranting of a bereaved mother. One that has had no real closure. A closure she initially felt she might get if she had a real face to face (not a quickie face to face where he could not even remember what her name was). The situation has festered and now she is a poster child. The President could have made the "Sheehan" situation go away with a meeting where he actually knew her name and listened to her.

We do not know who was wiretapped without a warrant, but hasn't the President made it perfectly clear that he has every constitutional right to do so?

Congratulations for turning this thread into an excuse to bash the President even though everyone's been agreeing that Pat Robertson is an idiot and worse.

Since we're off topic already, I think Cindy is an idiot who wants to meet the President again so she can try to add credibility to her own sweet self and bash the President even more. A meeting would not make her go away -- it would only encourage her (and her fringe friends) to push her surrender "cause."

yeartolate said:

How about: "President Bush betrayed his country". That's a quote from a presidential candidate and a former vice president. (Al Gore) No more outrageous than Robertson's and I would guess that he has more "followers". The president has a constitutional duty to protect this country. Were you as outraged when letters from American soldiers to home were screened and
censored? We are at war with an enemy that has vowed to strike again and has infiltrated this country. I have no problem "spying" on these guys.

JoeEpcotRocks said:
Congratulations for turning this thread into an excuse to bash the President even though everyone's been agreeing that Pat Robertson is an idiot and worse.

"
I also find it interesting that she started the thread wondering if she should don her flame retardant suit, even though there has been no thread aggressively defending PR's comments. It was really preaching to the choir.

Goofball said:
At the risk of sounding like Judgy McJudgerson, I really believe Pat Robertson will have a lot to answer for when he leaves this world. I hate to think how many people are turned off of God because of what this fool spreads with his hateful attitudes.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but aren't you doing exactly what you are accusing Pat Robertson of doing; "knowing the Mind of God". ?

I personally can't stand him and soon as I hear his voice, I change the channel! I really don't think he is relevent at all.

DawnCt1 said:
Oh puleeeze; You aren't even using a broad brush, you have the entire roller! Are you equally as outraged at the comments from the left, those which call our president a murderer and terrorist (Cindy Sheehan for just one example). Furthermore, there is no evidence that those living in this country who received telephone calls from Al Queda were even Americans. Robertson, as misguided as his comments were, were not calling for Jihad. I would say that that is a major difference.

While I tend to agree with you on the majority of this post, I would say Robertson's comments are more than misguided. While he did not call for Jihad per se, he did call for an assasanation. :worried:

momx2 said:
While I tend to agree with you on the majority of this post, I would say Robertson's comments are more than misguided. While he did not call for Jihad per se, he did call for an assasanation. :worried:

While a man of the cloth should never call for an assassination, particularly from the pulpit, I would be the first to delight in Hugo Chavez's demise. I used the term "misguided" euphemistically.

DawnCt1 said:
While a man of the cloth should never call for an assassination, particularly from the pulpit, I would be the first to delight in Hugo Chavez's demise. I used the term "misguided" euphemistically.

Ah yes, the Ten Commandments according to Dawn;

"Thou Shalt Not Kill.....unless I disagree with your political outlook, in which case lock and load!"

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Dawn, one of the core members of President Bush's dwindling support base.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter