Is now the time to sell?

bonzie1

DIS Veteran
Any thoughts? We are so depressed about all the cutbacks Disney is doing now, and are wondering whether this would be a good time to sell. I guess we could use our points and see other Orlando sights... we're set to come 10/31/01 on points, already paid the airfare, and there's no chance we could cancel out on our points. No more EE (characters coming to the resorts instead... like that makes a difference), Severely cut back hours which can only result in crowded situations. I know times are tough, but I don't see Disney offering anything to encourage people to come except to Florida residents, who can come more than non-residents can anyway (Free 100 days added to AP). Yes, they sent out patriotic Mickey pins which was a cute idea, but that hardly makes up for anything. I just called to find out how to get $ back for my AP. It's just not worth it anymore. I used to be so excited. Thanks for letting me be frustrated.

When you bought your DVC membership, I hope it was with a long term view, not just for a few years. Take the long view.

The U.S., and lots of other countries around the world, are in a recession now. When business is down, most companies reduce their variable expenditures. Disney is doing this. It's part of the normal business cycle. When the economy comes back, Disney will have more business and will put back things they've cut.

Also, remember you can use your points for other things. We love Hilton Head. Try some of the other options, or just bank your points for a year until you feel better about using them.

Remember, you've still got 40 years to enjoy DVC.

Why not wait and see if you still feel the same way after your trip? From what I've read, the parks are only crowded on weekends. If that's the case, EE won't seem so important.

My DH hates crowds and lines, too. But I tell him that when you go to WDW, you must expect crowds and lines. Those crowds are the reason the parks exist. If you just accept that, you can also get rid of the commando mentality that says you must see and do it all every time or you won't have gotten you're money's worth and had a good time. I still have to remind him every now and then, but he's been much better since DVC. We still come home tired, but seldom crabby!

We're not even considering selling our DVC. For us it was a long term investment in family vacationing. These changes and cutbacks will be temporary. In the meantime, there are so many things to do besides go to the parks. And even in the parks, there's more than just rides. We're really looking forward to the new parades, WWTBAM and the One Man's Dream exhibit. I want to mini-golf, swim and enjoy some of the great restaurants. I want to really explore the World Showcase pavillions that we used to just cruise on by. I want to see the characters through my little nephews eyes and not be thinking about rushing off to do something else. I want to actually stop and watch the entertainment instead of just looking at it as I hurry to get to the next "line".

I strongly believe that when the economy recovers, so will Disney. EE and the other perks (or maybe something even better) will come back, too. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every minute I can at WDW.

We're going in late November/early December and planning to go in mid-February as well. I hope that you will not let your disappointment over the changes ruin your trip! You can still have a good time and a wonderful vacation.

Best wishes!

We just got back yesterday and are considering purchasing. The crowds were really low except for MNSSHP (which was awesome). We stayed at POFQ and during the week, I think we were almost the only ones staying on our side of the building. Sis talked with Mousekeeping and she stated the maid may have to look for another PT job due to cut backs. Friday night, MK was packed! We rode up front in the monorail and the conductor was very excited to see the crowd. He said Orange Co schools had the day off, so that was one reason for the packed park.

AT MGM, we did WWTBAM 3x in a row!

I say go. We had a really great time! ToD's is really cool as well. As a side, I heard on the local news in Orlando they are cutting back 4 show to five days instead of seven. We did everything we wanted to do and didn't have to wait long at all. We didn't do any FP's or EE days either.

If you are truly unhappy with your trips to WDW then I would consider selling. As to whether or not this is the best time to get the price for your resale....probably not.

One thing I've found is that what you "hear" on the boards is sometimes a lot more upsetting than what you actually experience. I know I've gotten upset about things I've read and then kicked myself when I found myself having the same wonderful trip as in the past.

As a DVC member I wouldn't think EE was all that important. You don't need to be on a commando trip. If you find it essential then you will be disappointed.

All travel related industries are making cutbacks. When the crowds return to WDW then the perks they are cutting will also return. EE, E nights and extended hours are all ways to deal with large crowds. Right now there are no large crowds. There has to be some cost containment. The alternative is to run things at full throttle with deep discounts and no crowds until the whole place just shuts down. I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

The majority of visitors to Orlando come by air. They are currently not coming. The Orlando attractions are instead offering incentives for those who can drive to come. They've even created a whole marketing campaign for all of the Orlando venues. A recent article says the hotels hold their breath each week until about Thursday when folks call to book. Even when the WDW resorts are full, they cannot sustain the extra hours and entertainment. They need the influx of folks from the offsite resorts to make things cost effective.

Hopefully, people will start to travel to WDW in large numbers once again.

First of all, you bought a real estate interest in a resort... the resort is still there, and it is still as beautiful as ever... I don't know about you, but our Disney vacations revolve a lot about the resort... a lot about the family time we spend together... even if just walking around the Epcot Resorts!!! EE & shorter hours do not really affect our vacation habits... there are fewer people, resulting in less crowds... sure they cut the hours, but I don't think you are going to notice it....

As for selling your membership, is it a good time? probably it is... you'd sell very quickly...

There is just SOOOO much to see and do at WDW do you really think your going to miss the things they are eliminating.NO CB at Olivia's: I've heard the food was bad to terrible.We're we realy getting our monies worth. EE: if the parks are so slow,why would we need to be there an hour earlier.Stay up late,sleep in. Too many people seem to take these cut backs personally when in reality it's just good business. When the economy goes up and the crowds return,so will the perks. Then we can all go back to complaining about the crowds,the lines,the poor transportation system,pools closed to hopping- am I leaving any pet peeves out ?

Thank you to the voices of reason!!!! Go and see for yourself. It just might not be THAT bad. We were there 9/30-10/6 and can understand why some of what has happened was done!

My thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their opinions and support. We bought for the long term too, and on the whole have been satisfied. We are not night owls, never have been. We are not commandos. We do spend a lot of money, and it would be nice if Disney would do something for the out-of-staters... even a temporary perk or discount. Why not help out those who have to pay top dollar to visit.

Thanks again. We'll probably have to go on the 31st, or lose all of our points.

The commando term is used to denote people who "Attack" the parks from the momement they open to the moment they close, who run nonstop to see and do everything humanly possible in the parks in one day to the point where they actually carry "Battle Plans" on how to do Disney each day.

We need a term to denote the laid back DVC member approach to doing WDW.

Like everyone is saying, go and enjoy your upcoming October vacation and then decide if you want to sell, but there is so much to do in Orlando besides WDW, just do what alot of us do, use OKW as your home and then go and do stuff outside WDW property or outside of the parks.

I say go and see for yourself. It really isn't that busy in the parks, at least during the week. Go during the week and not on the w/e. There is so much more to do than parks. We only went to MK for MNSSHP (I highly recommend that, we had a blast), Epcot for the full 12 yrs which was too much, and MGM for the entire day. We went shopping, did the pool, went to Homosassa to see my DD adopted manatee Ariel. We really had fun and had a more relaxing trip. My sis, DD, and DH all agreed this trip was better than last and the crowds just weren't as bad (like they really ever are in Oct).

If everyone decides they are not going because a few perks are temporarily denied during these hard times, then they are adding to the problem rather than helping. Go and enjoy. This too will pass.

I'm disappointed, too. But forty years from now I doubt I will remember this bump in the road in my DVC membership.

When you think of how much there is to see and do at the parks, how much of the total experience has been cut? 5%? Probably less than that. If the crowds aren't that bad anyway, EE is not necessary (or economically feasable for Disney) right now. It is annoying that we can't see every show every day but as long as we know the schedule, we can work around it.

With the lighter crowds, they must be losing a great deal of money (or at least lower profits) by keeping all the parks and attractions open. When they begin closing an entire park on certain days or a resort temporarily, then I won't be happy.

We're in the not-so-fun part of an economic cycle, worsened by the terrorist attacks. What goes up must come down, etc. In order for Disney to survive, they must expand and contract with the economy. This uneasiness will last for a while. Remember in the beginning of 2001 when you couldn't even find a resale for DVC? I don't think now is a good time to sell, the market is soft. If you need the money, you sell - otherwise hold on for a year or two to see what happens. If you don't want to use the points yourself, rent them to someone else.

I found some good airfares for December so we booked a quick trip at OKW. I'm looking forward to lighter crowds - but hopefully not too light. :smooth:

As has been said many times already DVC is a long term investment/plan. Therefore , IMHO, what holds for "once in a life time" visitors doesn't necessarily hold for DVC members. The cutbacks are undoubtably more than 5% ( I think more like 20%) BUT in the case of DVC members it is impossible to cover everything WDW has to offer each trip ( indeed IMHO it is too tiring to do so, you'd need a vacation afterwards to recover LOL).

Take the extra time that has been given to "smell the roses" and take in some of the other things that maybe , usually, you wouldn't have time to fit in. Use some of the wonderful pools around the world, maybe take in Cirque, use DQ,rent a water sprite, check out one of the other resort restaurants or just chill, relax and have a relaxing vacation for a change.

While I think the cutbacks are a little draconian, in the case of DVC members it really doesn't make a massive difference over the 40 years and I certainly wouldn't look to be unloading my points right now. My last visit I did only 2 days in Disney parks ( that was by choice) and I had a great time. It may just make people a little more selective about what they chose to do with their time which IMHO isn't always a bad thing.

Sell if you want but it is a long term investment for you and your familiy's vacation future. Certain cutbacks and gains will happen over the next 40 years. If EE is gone for 2 years there is still 38 years to enjoy that extra hour on your trip. I bought into DVC because I love WDW, but because I want to do other things there besides running through the parks trying to do everything. Now I know I will be returning every year or two and don't have to be up at the crack of dawn to get to a park early.

Good luck in your decision making.

What goes up must come down

I think I heard it different on Splash Mountain....What goes up is SURE TO come down....a penny lost is a penny found....boy are we in luck....we're visiting our laughing place....la la la la la

ohiominnie :p

Oops, seems like ohioMickey has logged onto my computer again! :)

This is ohiominnie!!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter