Is New York part of New England?

Is New York part of New England?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • No

Votes: 123 94.6%

• Total voters
Well, it was a part of New Netherland at one time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Netherland
Yes, New York was originally a Dutch colony, while most of the New England states (except Vermont, which was originally French), were English colonies. New York City was originally called New Amsterdam, and later renamed by the English, for the Duke of York. Lots of Dutch place names still exist in New York City and state.

Definitely not. The New England states are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts (life long resident, so I'm partial when I say it's the best), Connecticut, and Rhode Island. If I recall my grade school geography, New York is one of the mid-Atlantic states along with New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

Definitely not. The New England states are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts (life long resident, so I'm partial when I say it's the best), Connecticut, and Rhode Island. If I recall my grade school geography, New York is one of the mid-Atlantic states along with New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
Didn’t recall that about Md and Del but I’ll admit to getting them confused as mid Atlantic colonies too.

Yes, New York was originally a Dutch colony, while most of the New England states (except Vermont, which was originally French), were English colonies. New York City was originally called New Amsterdam, and later renamed by the English, for the Duke of York. Lots of Dutch place names still exist in New York City and state.
Very true! Go on, ask an outside how you pronounce "Schuylerville". Or "Niskayuna". Then, ask them what a "kill" is, like Catskill or Fishkill.

You’re missing a large portion of New York State if you think it’s just this.
Maybe you missed the laugh emoji after listing the 2 tri-state areas, one which includes all of New York and denoted as NY and the other just the city and denoted as NYC. People are exhausting sometimes.

You've been told incorrectly. Rhode Island is bordered by Massachusetts on the north and east and Connecticut on the west. It's southern border is the Atlantic Ocean. Long Island is part of New York, and doesn't even extend as far east as Rhode Island. Google it, check a map.
Well …*I* know that! But do you realize how many times I’ve been told differently? Too many times…. 🙄

Maybe you missed the laugh emoji after listing the 2 tri-state areas, one which includes all of New York and denoted as NY and the other just the city and denoted as NYC. People are exhausting sometimes.
Those of us in the Adirondacks might take issue with your tri-state NY/PA/NJ. 😂 That’s what I was referring to. 😇

Well …*I* know that! But do you realize how many times I’ve been told differently? Too many times…. 🙄
Right??

"Where are you from?"

"Rhode Island."

"Oh, isn't that part of New York?"

Every time! It's so annoying! I don't live there anymore, but... ugh!

Anyway, Rhode Island does actually share a maritime border with Long Island. So, it's not that far away!

While we're at it, can we get some consensus on New England/New Zealand? :earboy2:
How about New Brunswick? :confused: Where is old Brunswick? And if you want the Canadians to go at it, is Newfoundland part of the Maritimes and is Manitoba “the West”?:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter