Is my grocery delivery summary correct?

danc18

Mouseketeer
We are staying CL at WL and can use the sundries store and OFC for many items, but we have a baby who will need diapers, food, wipes etc plus a preschooler who likes particular snacks, yogurt etc. I started on the assumption that I'd use garden grocer for the delivery items we need but since we have amazon prime looked at that also. Here's what I got from searches:
GG has more selection but is more expensive
Amazon can be delivered in hours but less selection and the resort won't store perishables for you
Amazon delivery is free, plus $10 off for first order

Seems like it comes down to selection required and whether you need perishables. From pictures, looks like the store at WL has milk, bananas, apples, chips etc so may not need much or anything shipped that needs refrigeration.

Are my assumptions all correct? Comments?

Amazon Prime now is free but they do suggest a tip. It looks like the suggested tip is $5 or 10%, whichever is greater. Of course it is still your choice.

There is a $20 minimum for Amazon Prime Now.

The cold stuff is packed in an insulated bubble wrap/foil bag with frozen blocks that stayed frozen for quite a long time. My two deliveries were left at the front desk (not bell services) and I picked up one and the other was delivered to the room by front desk staff.

I did Garden Grocer last trip and the groceries were left at bell services where the cold stuff was put in the fridge there until I picked it up.

Both services had a "package delivered" notification.

You are correct that Garden Grocer has a greater selection but much higher product costs and the $14 delivery charge and $40 minimum order.

I was happy with both services but will probably use Prime Now for now on since I can place several smaller orders throughout the trip if I wish.

I have never ordered, and am looking into it too. I have no problem with giving a tip, but was wondering how can you get the tip to them? Is it an option to add at check-out on their website?

Yes, it is an option at checkout.

If you are staying CL, the lounge has bananas, apples and oranges out for you throughout the day, just grab some and take it back to your room. Also, they have yogurt in individual containers for breakfast, just put some in your fridge in the your room for snacks. (We have also asked for yogurt on off times and the CMs have always obliged us). You don't need to pay for those items(you already are).

We have used GardenGrocer x5 and love their service. They have gotten me items that were not shown on their website. When staying CL, we do not get snacky items from GG or breakfast items. GG prices are better than the prices at the resort stores. I order things like sunblock and other sundries from GG.

I would also consider Safeway. It is normal grocery store pricing WITH all of the coupons automatically added. Also, free shipping for the first order with $49 minimum purchase. I believe you can also get discounts depending on the hour of time that you choose or the size of the window (e.g., 1 hour, 2 hour, etc.) We used it on our trip to Saratoga Springs in September and it was excellent. Only caveat is that they did miss one item, but it was a really small item. I called and they gave a refund immediately. I found that you saved much more with Safeway over Garden Grocer, and it had a better selection than Amazon Prime.

We used Garden Grocer for the first time this year. There is a discount depending on how far in advance you order, which helped. I remember I also looked into Amazon Prime at the time, but can't remember why GG was the better deal for us. It was very convenient, and I got a text when we were on the way to the resort to confirm the order had been delivered.

Is there a specific link for Amazon is order the get the "delivered in hours"?
Thanks

We have used GG twice and it was great.

About to place an Amazon Prime Now Order. If I read everything correctly, I can order anything listed online (for example, food plus infant bathtub, other hard goods) and tell them to deliver day after tomorrow between 2:00 and 4:00? Should we or can we order a day ahead? They can't have the whole variety of items in one place. Anyone know how they assemble it so fast?

I would also consider Safeway. It is normal grocery store pricing WITH all of the coupons automatically added. Also, free shipping for the first order with $49 minimum purchase. I believe you can also get discounts depending on the hour of time that you choose or the size of the window (e.g., 1 hour, 2 hour, etc.) We used it on our trip to Saratoga Springs in September and it was excellent. Only caveat is that they did miss one item, but it was a really small item. I called and they gave a refund immediately. I found that you saved much more with Safeway over Garden Grocer, and it had a better selection than Amazon Prime.

Thank you for this suggestion! I see that Safeway does indeed deliver in Orlando now!

I use them here at home (Maryland) sometimes if I'm really under the weather or too busy for some reason to run to the store. Their prices are much better than Garden Grocer (whom I've used numerous times), and unlike Prime Now, which I do like, you can get reasonably priced beer and wine for the room as well.

I am definitely going to use them next trip!

Just remember that the groceries you see at WL gift shop will be expensive. And even fruit around the parks is expensive, if you decide to just buy it while you are out and about. The fruit at GG is kinda pricey, but not as much as the resort gift shops or the parks.

About to place an Amazon Prime Now Order. If I read everything correctly, I can order anything listed online (for example, food plus infant bathtub, other hard goods) and tell them to deliver day after tomorrow between 2:00 and 4:00? Should we or can we order a day ahead? They can't have the whole variety of items in one place. Anyone know how they assemble it so fast?

You can order the same day, they have a huge warehouse about 30/45 minutes away from Disney property. It's basically a lot like a large Costco/Sam's Club on the inside.

You can't order more than one day ahead, or at least that was my experience. Order one day ahead or that day.

Any thoughts on instacart? We use that at home and I love it for Whole Foods as prices are the same. AKL is in their delivery zone so I'd like to try it for an upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter