• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is "Millionaire" ABC's Weakest Link?

Will "Play IT!" follow after "Millionaire" goes dark?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Testtrack321

<font color=blue>Good GOD, man, quit banging your
Early reports have indicated that "Who Wants to be a Millionare" may not return in this fall. After 9-11, the ratings fell steeply and are still. So if "Millionaire" goes dark, will the attraction soon follow?

I think it'll stay. There are plenty of attractions in WDW based on movies, TV shows, etc, that are long gone.

Even if the network show is canceled, there are plans for a half hour version that would be show in syndication. Regis is being given the choice of hosting either show but the producers dod not think that he can host both. See http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011130/en/abc_millionaire_6.html

Hopefully, the snow will be around in some format for a while. Even if the network version of the show is canceled, MGM has done attractions based on old shows. For a long while MGM had a version of Lets Make a Deal produce on the same sets as WWTBAM-PI.

By the way the latest ratings had Who Wants to be a Millionare beating Weakest Link last week. The show may not be dead yet.

I think that Millionaire is one of the better shows still on ABC. ABC is doign really bad right now, and they need somting to boost ratings. They should cut back on Millionaire and advertise for it more! I never know when it's on anymore. I hope they keep millionaire, and get some better shows!!

The network version might manage to stick around for another year, but that's probably it. ABC is re-focusing on family comedies and dramas with more "commercial appeal" (whatever that is). Several comedies are slated for Spring releases. The fate of Millionaire will probably depend on what ABC has in its aresenal to replace it. The don't want to go into the fall season with all-new shows, so they are hoping to get a couple of the Spring shows to stick, along with the few current successes they have. Millionaire may stick around to provide a little more continuity.

We'll see about the syndicated version. That's a different world from Primetime Network TV, so we'll see what happens.

I like the show, but they do need to find a way to move it along. I understand the contestants wanting to be sure, but they need to edit more of the "thinking" time out.

As for Play It, I don't think it will last much longer than the show does. 2-3 years maybe.

raidermatt

You hit my biggest problem with the network show which is the pace. I agree that some of the thinking time could be edited out or some sort of time limit place. WWTBAM=PI has time limits per question and that helps keep the attraction moving. It is my hope that the half hour syndicated show will have a faster pace.

I unfortunately agree that if the network show is canceled and the syndicated show does not work out, then at some point the attraction will be changed.

If that means more stuff of the quality of "Boy Meets World", great - if it means more "Who's a star that needs a job that we can hire for cheap" type thinking, then I say please, no more "family comedys". Too much worthless junk on right now as it is.
On the other hand - come up with something as good as "Amazing Race" or "Survivor" and I might watch!
;)
I know, I know, but I love those shows!

I just came across this from Variety.

And Mr. Eisner wonders why no one in Hollywood treats ABC like a real network anymore.

------
ABC heart-pounder
By Melissa Grego

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - ABC has committed to 13 episodes of a new quiz show requiring contestants to control their heart rate while they answer general knowledge questions for money.

The series, tentatively titled ``The Chair,'' is targeted to bow in primetime sometime in 2002. Eight contestants will compete in a qualifying round to win the chance of sitting in the special seat rigged up to a heart monitor. Up to five players can make it to the chair per episode.

Once in the chair, players earn money each time they answer questions correctly. But if their heart rate exceeds a certain limit -- decided before the show during a three-hour resting period -- they start to lose their winnings. They must wait until their heart rate returns to normal before they can answer another question.

Players -- who'll be screened for drug use and other factors -- leave the chair once their money runs out or they get a question wrong. Surprises will add to the self-control challenge. ABC has yet to decide how much money a contestant can win.

``It's a new kind of drama,'' said executive producer Julie Christie. ``It's a quiz show where you have to control your mind and your body, and that's what makes it unique.''

ABC senior VP of alternative series Andrea Wong said the network ``loved the idea immediately'' after hearing about the concept shortly after Christie began selling the show internationally at last October's Mip TV convention.

``It was immediately compelling to watch somebody control their body under intense stress and watch their face while they're doing it,'' Wong said. ``It's really fresh. There hasn't been anything like this on TV.''

ABC will start its host search immediately. It has yet to be decided whether the show will be a half-hour or hour. Christie has done pilots for both lengths.

The first versions of ``The Chair'' likely will be rolled out early next year in New Zealand, Australia, Germany and the United States, Christie said.

Reuters/Variety REUTERS
--------

The names I heard mentioned were past shows, like Home Improvement, Roseanne, and Growing Pains. (Of those three, I liked the two that didn't have the star who butchered the National Anthem...)

They have a few shows that supposedly fit the profile and have been moderate successes, but the names escape me right now. (I haven't been watching too much TV lately).

Personally, I don't think the Survivor type stuff is what they are going to go for. There's some risk that it could be a fad, like Millionaire. Also, their lack of success in copying NBC comedies that appeal to the younger demographics is cited as being a cause of their downfall.

Originally posted by JustBob

On the other hand - come up with something as good as "Amazing Race" or "Survivor" and I might watch!
;)
I know, I know, but I love those shows!

Ya, it was called "THE MOLE". It was canceled do to 9-11. Where were you? We neede You.;) ;)

Compare the balance sheets of "Millionaire" & "Monday Night Football", and then let's see who is the "Weakest LinK"........................

At least Millionaire has turned a profit. From what I understand, MNF has been a ratings & advertisement dud for quite somw time now.

I was semi-kidding with the "Survivor" comment. I do like the show, but understand it's just a fad. As to the mole - I never got going on that one, but my two boys really liked it a lot.
I think I was probably a little harsh with my earlier statement on family comedies, because I think "Home Improvement" is a great exapmle of a show that is good for all ages (except perhaps that all-important 18-35 age range). I just know when ABC started messing with TGIF we stopped tuning in. We loved Boy Meets Worlk, Sabrina, even Urkel (when the kids were younger) - now we don't watch it at all.
I'd like to see another show of the ilk of Family Ties - that one still has me seesawing between laughter and tears on occasion.
:)

I kissed the TV the day Sabrena and BMW were gone. They were to old. BMW went through every problem and then some and lasted for what seems to be an internity. Sabrena was awful. I liked the idea of putting "The Mole" in TGIF. Spice things up. TGIF was a fad and over lived its prime. As for Survivor, I love that show and can't wait to see who wins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter