Is Memory Maker Worth the Money?

If you don't have a nice camera, then it's probably worth it. We've bought it three times and two out of the three it has not been worth it because we barely took any photos. The first trip it was so easy to find the photographers, and the other trips they've been hard to find, and then we've had to stand in line to get them to take our photo. I felt like we barely got any photos. However, some of the photos had not turned out with our camera (that my husband had taken), but they looked good on the Disney camera. This included most of the indoor character meetings. All of the Disney photographers will take a photo using your camera for you (unless something has changed recently), so this year I decided to spend the Memory Maker money (plus a bit extra) on a nice used lens to go on the camera that we already have (which is a nice amateur camera). It takes much better photos in the lower light conditions.

Yes, it depends on your camera and your level of expertise in photography. We bought the Memory Maker last year and it was fun to have the ride photos, but all of the others I had on my personal camera as well. While they use automatic mode, I was able to preset all of my settings to what I wanted before I handed the camera over. So, we are not getting it this year.

I did not get 600 photos like some others said (not even 100). Maybe 20 of my family, and then the standard photos of the characters that they give to everyone (and we don't do anything with those). But, we also didn't stand in a lot of lines for pictures so that has something to do with it.

We get it because I don't like carrying our camera all day long possibly losing it or worrying about batteries or chargers. I do occasionally use the iphone here and there to take a few pictures but have been happy with the photographers. As everyone has mentioned no one gets left out of the shot.

Thanks for all the advice here. I've been tossing up getting MM. I've never used it before but am leaning towards getting it. I know I'll take my camera with me (because my thoughts are if I don't use it why do I have it) but its nice to get all the photos without them using my camera. I'm excited to get the ride photos!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question. We are going to be in Disney for 9 days, but only going to the parks 5 days. However, we are going to character meals 2 of the days we are not going into the parks. Do they have photographers at those meals to take the photos or do I need to take my camera? I have a nice camera, but was not planning on taking it because I hate lugging it around all day long and my hubby does not take the best pictures (every one he took when we were in Niagara Falls this summer was blurry :sad2: ).

We are going for 8 days and I plan on adding MM after discounts come out. I have so few family photos...my husband and I are never in pictures together with the kids. It's worth it to me for that alone.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question. We are going to be in Disney for 9 days, but only going to the parks 5 days. However, we are going to character meals 2 of the days we are not going into the parks. Do they have photographers at those meals to take the photos or do I need to take my camera? I have a nice camera, but was not planning on taking it because I hate lugging it around all day long and my hubby does not take the best pictures (every one he took when we were in Niagara Falls this summer was blurry :sad2: ).

There are no photographers at character meals, you'll need to bring your own camera.

We got the Memory Maker on our last 3 trips and I wrote a review about it on my blog (link is in the signature). I was super disappointed in the pictures from our last trip but we only went to 2 parks so it wasn't a long vacation with extended family. I'm going back in January for my daughter's birthday and we have family coming as well so for this trip I decided to get the Memory Maker again, though I do plan to take plenty of backup photos with my own camera in case the Photopass photographer doesn't capture decent ones.

There are no photographers at character meals, you'll need to bring your own camera.

Well, boo. I guess I'll be taking the camera then. I'm sure there will be a zillion and one things I'd want to photograph anyways, I was just trying to talk myself out of taking it.

I'm so glad we got it on our trip. I am the family photographer, and I'm usually not in ANY pictures, so it was nice to have a bunch of pictures of all of us. We were in the parks for 5 days and got over 300 pics, and we weren't even trying hard to hit up all the photographers. We are going back in April, and I will make sure we get even more if we can.

The photo's we got were really really good, and while I am a photographer, I do not wish to carry my DSLR around the park all day, so I like letting someone else do the work.

Very much worth it to me. I'm never in our pictures because I'm always taking them. Plus ride photos - and since we had to use Rider Swap we were separated often, so that's twice as many. I only have an iPhone, no camera, and the photographers do a much better job than me!

I split the cost with a couple other people going around the same time and that worked out nicely.

We got the Memory Maker on our last 3 trips and I wrote a review about it on my blog (link is in the signature). I was super disappointed in the pictures from our last trip but we only went to 2 parks so it wasn't a long vacation with extended family. I'm going back in January for my daughter's birthday and we have family coming as well so for this trip I decided to get the Memory Maker again, though I do plan to take plenty of backup photos with my own camera in case the Photopass photographer doesn't capture decent ones.
We did Mickey's Backyard BBQ (April 2015)and I was surprised that there was a photographer there, but i'd definitely take a camera, because they only took photos if you got in a line for Mickey and Minnie. Year's ago Chef Mickey's had one that would take a family photo before you entered, but i'm not sure if they do that anymore.

However, we are going to character meals 2 of the days we are not going into the parks. Do they have photographers at those meals to take the photos or do I need to take my camera? :sad2: ).

I would disagree with the other that have said there are not photopass people at character meals. They may not walk around with characters, but from what I recall, there is almost always a photo shot before you go in? or on way out. If you want action shots at the table then BYOC, otherwise I would research -
Before Meal
royal table MK , tusker house, Princess meal at Grand Floridan

No Shots
Crystal place
Poly - Family dinner

Our last trip was for a week and it was worth it, but I'm not sure if I would get it if it was only a 2 or 3 day trip.

It won't apply to many but we got a single Annual Pass that included the Memory Maker. Once you add up more then one visit, daily parking and a memory maker it can lean in the direction of being a good deal. We did get APs for my husband kids but at the lower price point that applied to our upcoming trips.

Depends how often you go. You can see from my sig that we've been many times, but have only gotten it three times. It's not inexpensive at $169 prepaid or $199 if you buy it there. It is nice to have photos of the whole family though since it's impossible to get those normally. I would get it if you are having a once in a lifetime trip or are staying for an extended period of time (1 week or me). I was pretty happy with our photos from our trip this past September and will probably get it again for next February.

Another place that you will find a Disney photographer is at Jedi Academy. If your child(ren) are participating in this activity, then add this to the list of benefits. The Disney photographer there is right up front and will likely get better pictures than most parents can.

we just got back from a 3 week stay its really worth it for the longer stays also its nice to have all the family together

For us it was worth it and we ended up with around 500 pictures. We made a point of stopping to have family pictures done this trip and it was nice to have everyone in the pictures. I know you can always give them your camera to take a picture, but when they use their own camera they take at least 4-5 pictures. The great part is my mom joined us for part of the trip and she was thrilled to have the option to do all of the family in the picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter