Is it worth trying to go to DisneySea over New Year?

StevenX

Earning My Ears
I'm going to Tokyo over New Year this year (December 31st until January 4th), and was hoping to go to DisneySea. However, I've looked up a crowd prediction calendar which is quoting 32,000 daily visitors around that time and insanely huge standby lines for most of the big rides on the days we'd be likely to go (January 3rd being most lakely, based on our flights). It's quoting lines of 120-300 minutes for Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Toy Story Mania, Raging Spirits, Tower of Terror, etc. Having seen that and read some trip reports which concur that the place is often ridiculously crowded, I'm quite put off and not sure if I want to go at all if I'd spend one of only 4 days I have in Tokyo lining up for hours on end for rides...

Does anyone here have any advice? Is it really going to be as busy as I think?.. Are the crowds at all manageable?

EDIT: One thing which would work in our favour if we do go is that we wouldn't care to go on Toy Story Mania, having been on the versions in California and Florida already this year. Not sure how much that'd relieve the crowds at the other attractions - I fear not much...

DisneySea is a very unique experience. One you will not get anywhere else. There is no park like it. I think it might be possible to enjoy it even with the lines. If you can plan it out right and do fastpass the lines, should be manageable.

DisneySea is a very unique experience. One you will not get anywhere else. There is no park like it. I think it might be possible to enjoy it even with the lines. If you can plan it out right and do fastpass the lines, should be manageable.

Just got back from Tokyo and we did in the end decide to go to DisneySea on January 1st. The crowds were pretty huge but we managed to do all we wanted and more (JTTCOTE x 2, Indy x 2, Sinbad, Aquatopia, ToT, StormRider, 20,000 Leagues, Raging Spirits) - certainly way more than I'd expected we'd be able to fit in. The longest line was 90 minutes (ToT), and everything else we used Fastpass, Single Rider or had minimal (<30 mins) waits. We skipped TSM as we'd done it in DCA and DHS this year already and it had crazy wait times.

Thanks for the encouragement to visit despite the crowds; we had a great time and I'm glad we didn't end up being put off by the lines!

Yesterday was super crowded! Both parks closed to capacity until 5pm! I think because the end of the New Years holiday ended on a weekend combined with the Campus Days capaign is the reason. Usually the end of the New Years event is not too bad crowdwise but it's great seeing so many people in the parks.

Yesterday was super crowded! Both parks closed to capacity until 5pm! I think because the end of the New Years holiday ended on a weekend combined with the Campus Days capaign is the reason. Usually the end of the New Years event is not too bad crowdwise but it's great seeing so many people in the parks.

how are the weather and crowds today/yesterday? We are visiting next week Wednesday 15th from Australia! I cant wait!
SORRY TO HIJACK THIS THREAD!:rotfl:

Today is not bad at all! The parks have started emptying out now that the kids are returning to school. Next Wednesday shold be good I think because it gives you a buffer day after the holiday on Monday and most people should already be back at work and school. The weather has been pretty nice too!

Because of Campus days I would get FP's for the thrill attractions first since those are the most popular with the kids. So at TDS Toy Story first, ride Tower (it has a special event so it will have a longer line than Journey), Then get FP or ride Journey. At TDL get Monsters FP first ride Pooh, get FP for Space or Thunder, I think Splash is under refurb right now. Other than that lines should be short maybe around 10-15 minutes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that posted wait time seems to be based on worst case scenario like a show getting out or a bunch of FP people arriving at the same time. Many times the wait will be even up to have of the posted time, so let's say TSM is posted as 90 minutes it will probably be around a 45minute wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter