• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it worth paying out of pocket to dine at Hollywood and Vine.

IMO, its one of the restaurants at WDW that I will NOT be going back to.

We've eaten there twice, and have yet to have a good meal there. First time was to try it, second time was to give it another chance.

Fail on both.

It was the only dining reservation I regretted on our trip, TBH. We booked for Minnie's Halloween dine - the food was just OK, the kids selections were awful and other than the characters in halloween gear I was disappointed in the experience. Wished we had saved our money and just gotten something from a QS location that night.

Where else would you recommend to eat and see the characters.
I wasn't crazy about H&V. For characters, I recommend:
Garden Grill breakfast at Epcot
Tusker House at Animal Kingdom
Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom (Winnie & friends)

Also Garden Grill. Love the family style service (nice to have an actual sit down break). Plus my kids are huge fans of Chip and Dale. And Farmer Mickey is adorable.

Only three reasons to do H&V:
1. PPO advantage for Jedi academy
2. You really want that Fantasmic package (and can get both at breakfast)
3. You have to eat something and your only other option is HS QS

I didn't think H&V was that bad. I chose it for the Fantasmic Dining Package. I thought the food wasn't bad and the Halloween characters were adorable. Personally, I noted no difference in quality between H&V and Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace. It's the same basic buffet food, tbh. None of them are anything to write home about, but they're also not worth the teeth-gnashing hate, either.

I think people get a little overdramatic about hating this place (and several others, too.)

We have been to H&V twice. Once when it was Disney Jr characters and once for Minnie's Halloween dine. The first time was without a dining plan, the second time was with one. It seems we are in the minority, but we enjoyed it both times.

We have dined here in the past. The food was ok, but the line was not kept well stocked and food residue was very prevalent throughout the serving line. Dessert bar was a mess and look like it was raided. CMs seemed detached from the situation and I haven't even mentioned all the food that was highly noticeable throughout the restaurants floor. It is not a place we ever returned to as Disney offers so many other dining options that clearly out perform this establishment. I think it why they made it into a character meal destination to get more people to dine here. Sort of like Tony's Town Square. I am not sure if you have visited this page, but there are better character meal options: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/character-dining.cfm

We’ve gone three times. Once each meal. I don’t see how it’s much different than Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace. And we honestly liked the food better than Garden Grill dinner.

We went for lunch for Minnie's Halloween Dine. The food was good, wasn't overly crowded, and the buffet was clean. We enjoyed our food. Everything that was supposed to be hot was hot, and everything was replentished quickly. We had a nice waitress, and all the characters made sure to stop more than once. When Daisy came by the first time, but daughter was in the restroom & I let Daisy know. She made sure to come back a few minutes later so my daughter could see her, and then went back to the other table section she was visiting. We paid out of pocket & got our money's worth. We would go back.

H&V was a one and done some years ago. Have not been back. Recent reviews have shown no reason to change our mind. Tusker House is much better.

We did the Christmas dine last year. We actually didn’t hate the food. But we found it to be the most chaotic, loudest, and dirtiest (food all over the floor) character meal we have done. Our server was bad too. The characters were cute but not worth it.

If you have little ones- you really can’t go wrong with H&V. Here’s why- Disney Jr. characters. They are basically like rock stars for my little guy. And he patiently waits for each one to come to our table while I get to eat some relatively healthy food ( a decent salad some fish etc) instead of going to a loud quick service for a burger or premade salad. We go for lunch and since my kids are up at the crack of dawn eating breakfast early- they are hungry by 11:45 for lunch. It’s not overly crowded at that time and food is fresh, clean, organized. Also my DD loves the ice cream bar!

And I agree with EJgonz2- I fail to see how the food is much different than Crystal Palace.

I say go for it - especially if you have little ones- they will be thrilled !

If you have little ones- you really can’t go wrong with H&V. Here’s why- Disney Jr. characters. They are basically like rock stars for my little guy. And he patiently waits for each one to come to our table while I get to eat some relatively healthy food ( a decent salad some fish etc) instead of going to a loud quick service for a burger or premade salad. We go for lunch and since my kids are up at the crack of dawn eating breakfast early- they are hungry by 11:45 for lunch. It’s not overly crowded at that time and food is fresh, clean, organized. Also my DD loves the ice cream bar!

And I agree with EJgonz2- I fail to see how the food is much different than Crystal Palace.

I say go for it - especially if you have little ones- they will be thrilled !
I thought Disney JR characters were only there at breakfast? I’m pretty sure lunch and dinner are the seasonal dine.

I'm usually not big on buffets, but I didn't mind the food at H&V. There was a lot of variety and everything was hot and fresh. We were there for Minnie's seasonal dine (Halloween version) and it was really fun seeing the characters in their costumes. We also had the F! package which is a great value on the dining plan. Overall we really enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

I thought Disney JR characters were only there at breakfast? I’m pretty sure lunch and dinner are the seasonal dine.
We were there June 24 2017 and I have pictures of my DS with Jake (from Jake and the Neverland Pirates) Sofia, Doc McStuffins, and Handy Manny. We were there for lunch. My son loved Handy Manny and he was so nice - spent a lot of time with him. Doc and Sofia came around twice - I have two sets of photos with them. Maybe this time of year there are different characters, we will find out when we go next month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter