• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it weird going alone?

hkkatie

Mouseketeer
I live overseas, but I might have the chance to take a solo trip to the US for a week or so in Sept/Oct. I'm considering having a day at Disneyland since I'm flying in and out of LAX, but I'm wondering if it's weird to go alone? I've been a few times before, but always with my family.

Some benefits I can see to going alone: I can ride the rides I want to ride, and eat the food I want to eat w/out having to worry about height restrictions and picky eaters. I won't have to deal with meltdowns or nap times. I can sit and enjoy the ambience without little hands pulling me this way and that way.

The two cons I can see are 1) guilt over going without my family, and 2) feeling awkward being in lines alone or eating alone.

Thoughts?

I live out here near DL and I go by myself all the time. I have the BEST time. CMs are extra nice to me, single rider is the BEST thing ever, I can do exactly what I want at my own pace and I meet some really nice people. GO FOR IT!!!!! SHIA'S right ;)

That is hysterical! Thanks for sharing.

I will be going alone during the D23 convention...my niece will be attending, and I am just chaperoning. It will be the first time in my life at the parks alone. A little nervous, but mostly excitied!

I live about 10-miles from Disneyland and go all the time by myself. I typically go every other Friday since I am off work. I even went today during the 60th anniversary and during the 24-hour event alone. I've dined alone at almost all the restaurants in and outside the parks including Blue Bayou, Steakhouse 55, and I've even done a few character breakfasts at Storytellers. I say go for it.

No, it is not weird. I'm heading to DLR for my first time ever the end of September, and I am doing it solo. Even when I have done WDW with family, we have days where we go do what we want to do solo. It's liberating. And, I know for a fact that if you are one of those that tries to fit as much in in one day as possible, you can get a lot more done solo than with a group or family. Hope you have a great visit!

Not weird! Nobody will notice you're alone or care. They're all 100% focused on themselves and their trip! Plus if you're alone in a line you have time to really notice all your surroundings and take in all the magic Disney has hidden in nooks and crannies. Plus if you want to chat, you might end up meeting some nice people in line!

Solo trips are fun. Do what you want when you want it. You won't lose anyone. You can stop and take a picture of a flower without having to make sure everyone knows you've stopped.

You'll see happy families (that you NEVER see when you're with YOUR family) and they will make you all sad and weepy and you might call your spouse and wail a little, and then you'll see a massive tantrum and parents having all the reactions to tantrums that parents have...and then you'll go whistling along, happy you're solo.

And each solo trip, if you're like me, will make you more glad for your family trips, and a little bit more patient as well.

Since there are so many local AP holders there is no shortage of solo visitors on any given day. You shouldn't feel out of place at all.

I think it is worthwhile to go; and you can definitely have a great time. That said, I'll admit that the first few times I visited Disneyland Resort alone, I did feel pretty awkward. But my visits were mostly associated with going there primarily to eat dinner after a long work day on business trips to Southern California. I think it might be different if you are going for a whole day with a specific plan to enjoy the parks. Now when I go to the parks alone, I feel much more comfortable. It's become a second home to me. I still really miss having my family with me. And I wish I could enjoy the great food and atmosphere with them. But I'm much less wary of getting in lines alone and enjoying attractions or shows by myself now.

I have two tips that have helped me a lot.
  1. If you think you might feel guilty for enjoying DLR alone without your family, try to keep at least one special thing, a certain ride, restaurant, place, or show, reserved just for DLR visits with family. For me, one of those reserved things is the Blue Bayou. It's a special place for me and my spouse. So I've committed to not eat there on my solo visits. Although, I wouldn't hold my family to the same restriction. For me, it's just one special way to ensure that I can continue look forward to DLR visits with my family with even greater anticipation than for my solo visits.
  2. Try keeping your loved ones involved still. Share a text or picture with them while your in the parks. Let them know that you are having a good time, but that you are also mindful of them and wish they were with you too. They likely wish you happiness during your trip as well. And I think that sharing the experience, especially if it is shared in the moment with a mobile device, helps to reduce any potential for bitterness that you get to go while they can't.

No, it's not weird. It will feel different than other trips and you may occasionally have those pangs where you wish there was someone to enjoy a moment with you. If nothing else, you can try things that you don't get to do on a family trip and maybe discover something fun to share the next time you are all in the parks together.

.....well if you have never hugged your children during the parade or fireworks, never heard "lets do that again", if you can walk by their favorite treat without any notice, can stand at the gate without whispers of the daily plan, never hear, over and over, " this is going to be boring". Can sit on a bench without waiting for your child to exit the roller coaster, Then you will do fine. But for me it is always weird not being in the park without my son. There is always an empty space.

I went alone to a conference in Anaheim a few years ago and, because I arrived the morning before the conference started, I spent the day at DLR. After travelling to WDW many times with my family, but never having visited DLR, there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity! It was wonderful and an experience I'll never forget. I wish my family could have been there to experience it with me, but, for me, that wasn't a reason to deprive myself of a day at a Disney park. I don't think it's weird at all.

No, it's not weird at all. I went solo last month to WDW. I had been wanting to do a solo trip for some time now and saw things very differently. I did miss my DBF. But I would say do it.

I spent a couple hours alone for the first time ever the other day.. and to be honest at first I felt VERY awkward and strange doing so. It was hard for me not to discuss my surroundings with anyone... I am a talker! That was really the only weird part about roaming alone that I didn't enjoy. I did however enjoy being able to take my time, stop for pictures (which I got LOTS of :) ), and ride the rides I really wanted to. It is amazing how much more aware of all the detail you become once you are by yourself. I noticed more craftsmanship, more creative signs, plus I even caught a couple street performances which is hard to do when traveling as a group. Overall, I very much enjoyed my alone time and would say go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter