• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it too soon to book, too late, or just right?

jglor

Earning My Ears
My family has been looking at going on a Disney Cruise sometime, and it looks like the only good option for us, because of work, school and other things is the 4 night Mexican Riviera cruise, March 15-19 on the Disney Wonder out of San Diego. We live in about 45 minutes from Downtown San Diego, so cruising out of San Diego makes the most sense for us, since there is no additional travel time. That date will result in missing the least amount of school for our son, and the trip won't break the bank (unlike the 7 night cruise over Spring Break, which is the only one where DS wouldn't miss school).

However, because of school and other things, we really won't know if it's going to be possible until after school starts late next month. I'm not super clear on the reservation and deposit process. It looks like you can cancel more than 90 days in advance (so mid-December for this cruise) and get your whole deposit back. Is that true? Or can you only transfer the deposit to another cruise? Unfortunately, if we can't make this one, we probably won't go at all for at least another year.

If the deposit is fully refundable, I don't have a big problem with booking early, but is now the best time? Is it already considered "late" for a spring cruise? We're hoping to get a verandah room, and it looks like some are available for that cruise still. Are they likely to go soon? Or is there a good reason to wait and book later?

This will be our first Disney cruise, and our son's first cruise ever. Our last cruise was Royal Caribbean before he was born, over 16 years ago, and I know everything has changed since then. Any tips or advice would be helpful.

You can cancel for a full refund (unless you book a Concierge room) up until your final payment date, after which penalties begin for cancellations. So you can book now and cancel in September if necessary. The only downside to booking now is tying up the money for your deposit. If a room you will be happy with is available at a price you are willing to pay, it is not too late to book.

Note that deposits for Concierge rooms are non-refundable, though they can be transferred to another cruise.

Last edited:
Well first thing, get it now, then ask questions.
Because:
First you will like all of the answers to your questions about Disney.
Secondly, seems like you can cancel before PIF if the family schedule changes.
If you want to save money and get the best price get it now.
If you want to choose early dining, might be too late but get it now and get on the waitlist for early dinner.
Later is always worse, but you can always upgrade later if the price drops. Like get an inside and look for a GTY window sale. Or get a view room and see if later offers a GTY veranda for a little more than what you paid. You might get a deal there. Probably not in March though.

I would say none of the above. If you're ok with the price book and enjoy your cruise. It's always possible, but not guaranteed that they will offer some GT discounts closer to the cruise, or the cruise could go up in price. If Disney does offer discounts it's normally a couple of months out and it's non-refundable and you can't choose your room. This is how I usually book most cruises, but I'm flexible.

I don't think anyone could predict either outcome this far out. I would book the cruise now if you're comfortable with the price. You can cancel and get your deposit back if you cancel before the 90 days. Disney processes discounts quickly. You will normally see the money in a few days to a week.

You probably missed any big price increases for booking a Spring Break cruise; that often happens when booking is first available.

That said, if you want to be able to pick your cabin, book as soon as you can. If you are watching the price, it is a possibility that a reduced fare (where you pick a cabin category and deck, but not the actual cabin may be offered. That has normal cancellation rules. Or even lower price would be one that requires immediate, non-refundable fare and gives you a cabin category (interior, oceanview, verandah).

These discounts are offered to fill a ship. There is no schedule for when you will find them.

Last edited:
So I booked the cruise this week and paid the deposit yesterday. Ended up getting a white wall verandah near the aft of deck 6 because of the price.
Should know better after school starts if we'll actually be able to go. Here's hoping!

Aft isn’t bad, I like access to the aft (or forward) stairs and elevators as they are less crowded. Start checking the ship deck plan for all the places you plan to go and spend time. We did 6 aft on Wonder and thought the location was good.

Well first thing, get it now, then ask questions.
Because:
First you will like all of the answers to your questions about Disney.
Secondly, seems like you can cancel before PIF if the family schedule changes.
If you want to save money and get the best price get it now.
If you want to choose early dining, might be too late but get it now and get on the waitlist for early dinner.
Later is always worse, but you can always upgrade later if the price drops. Like get an inside and look for a GTY window sale. Or get a view room and see if later offers a GTY veranda for a little more than what you paid. You might get a deal there. Probably not in March though.
I’m going on my first Disney cruise so I don’t t quite understand. I booked an inside room. If later after full payment the price drops, I can try to upgrade my existing reservation to a higher level category? Would this be for only gty rooms or would one be able to select a specific room or is both possible?

I’m going on my first Disney cruise so I don’t t quite understand. I booked an inside room. If later after full payment the price drops, I can try to upgrade my existing reservation to a higher level category? Would this be for only gty rooms or would one be able to select a specific room or is both possible?
If you want a regular fare upgrade, it will be priced at the prevailing rates when you make the upgrade. It's VERY rare for regular fare prices to drop on DCL.

If you want a discounted fare -- typically referred to as a *GT (* = interior, oceanview or verandah) -- those come with restrictions. You would need to cancel any existing reservation, taking the associated penalty, and rebook the *GT fare which requires full payment at the time of booking and some other restrictions. You do not choose the deck, stateroom or location (fore/mid/aft) with a *GT.

Thank you for this info. That’s what I thought was the case. I got excited for the possible of the other scenario.

GTY is not a restricted fare when it's category number/letter such as 8AGTY. But you don't get to select your stateroom location, and these are not typically discounted -- in fact historically this was the highest "regular" fare because it was offered after a certain percentage of staterooms in that specific category were booked, allowing DCL to have flexibility in assigning some staterooms.

Since you booked an inside room, you can watch for an oceanview category GTY; just know that it's highly unlikely to be less than what you already paid and likely more than what you considered at the time you booked the inside room.

You will definitely have an upgrade option if you start with an inside stateroom. Check every other week and write down the prices you see for categories above your current room. I learned to love the front of the ship over the central because of the elevators.

You will definitely have an upgrade option if you start with an inside stateroom. Check every other week and write down the prices you see for categories above your current room. I learned to love the front of the ship over the central because of the elevators.
Thanks. I’m getting so confused though. This would be for the gty rooms right? Sorry if I’m a bit dense with this. What would be the process if I do find a price drop after final payment that is a reasonable ( to me) upgrade price?

Thanks. I’m getting so confused though. This would be for the gty rooms right? Sorry if I’m a bit dense with this. What would be the process if I do find a price drop after final payment that is a reasonable ( to me) upgrade price?
Since you’re going in March and have to be concerned about school schedules like everyone else that goes for a family trip which is typically your basic Disney vacation. So with the dates that you’re leaving your sale is probably the best you’re going to get right now. There is a slim chance that you could get an option to pay a little bit of an upgrade and get a window or veranda, but not very likely to be a great discount. You honestly probably got the best price right now.

Since you’re going in March and have to be concerned about school schedules like everyone else that goes for a family trip which is typically your basic Disney vacation. So with the dates that you’re leaving your sale is probably the best you’re going to get right now. There is a slim chance that you could get an option to pay a little bit of an upgrade and get a window or veranda, but not very likely to be a great discount. You honestly probably got the best price right now.
Thanks. I think I’ll just put it out of mind and see if there are available upgrades at check in. I am good with my inside room either way 😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter