• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it still possible to cruise without a mobile phone?

Ikaikalani

Tee-Eye-double Guh-err
A big perk for me on a cruise is to completely disconnect. I turn my mobile off as soon as I board the ship, and back on when disembarkation. Is this still possible? My travel partner will have a mobile for muster. Will I still be able to get a paper menu; daily navigator, etc. if I ask for one?

A big perk for me on a cruise is to completely disconnect. I turn my mobile off as soon as I board the ship, and back on when disembarkation. Is this still possible? My travel partner will have a mobile for muster. Will I still be able to get a paper menu; daily navigator, etc. if I ask for one?

You will find life very difficult on the ships now if you don't use a mobile phone with the ability to use the DCL AP.

Paper menus are available on request but it will will make things difficult for both you and the servers.

There are no paper navigators available, so if you don't use the App you will not know what activities are on where and what time.

If you don't use the App you will not get notifications about any activates you have pre booked.

If you want to contact guest servers, if you don't use the App, you will have to call them from the phone in your stateroom.

If you want to get off at Castaway Cay you will not be able to get off first thing when the ship docks, you will have to wait until the virtual queue has been turned off.

If you take a relaxed approach to the cruise, you'll probably be fine keeping the phone locked up most of the time. I'm with you- I keep my phone in a safe on the cruise. Unplugging is a big part of the experience. Imo the compromises required to stay phone-free on DCL would be worth it. I've already been to WDW since reopening, and am always the one asking for paper menus. No big deal there. From what I've read, there are few activities available onboard right now, so not much to keep track of, anyway. Checking the activities on the app each evening before or morning of, and making a paper list of what you're interested in (pack a notepad), so you know what's available throughout the day, could be an option that keeps your phone in the safe most of the time. A nice thing about the Dream is that pool reservations aren't needed, so you also won't need your phone for that. If you're not manic about getting to Castaway Cay first, that doesn't have to be an issue, either.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, it is sounding like DCL like other places is expecting everyone to have a cell phone and to be willing to give out the number. My cell phone is my emergency phone with just 5 people having the number, everyone else I give my landline number to. Like OP there are times I don't want to be reachable. I suspect a tablet would work, but is larger than a phone to carry around. On a cruise, all I normally have in my pocket on board is my room key.
I don't know how well the cell phone system works on DCL. I was at Spring Training in Phoenix in March 2020 and at one ballpark that used MLB's app for paperless ticketing. It really slowed down the process of getting into the impact. They are going to have to put some sort of awning or cover over the entrances because the readers could not always read the phone virtual tickets due to glare from the sun, cracked screens seemed to confuse the readers and of course dead batteries were an issue.

Unfortunately, it is sounding like DCL like other places is expecting everyone to have a cell phone and to be willing to give out the number. My cell phone is my emergency phone with just 5 people having the number, everyone else I give my landline number to. Like OP there are times I don't want to be reachable. I suspect a tablet would work, but is larger than a phone to carry around. On a cruise, all I normally have in my pocket on board is my room key.
I don't know how well the cell phone system works on DCL. I was at Spring Training in Phoenix in March 2020 and at one ballpark that used MLB's app for paperless ticketing. It really slowed down the process of getting into the impact. They are going to have to put some sort of awning or cover over the entrances because the readers could not always read the phone virtual tickets due to glare from the sun, cracked screens seemed to confuse the readers and of course dead batteries were an issue.

You do not need WIFI or cell service to use the DCL AP. You just turn airplane mode on and you will be using the ships internet, which you do not have to pay for.

I agree that I like to cruise because it is a chance to unplug. My thought is to only use the DCL app (and camera) when on board the ship. This will take some discipline but I also don’t plan to pay for internet, so I’m hoping that will help.

You do not need WIFI or cell service to use the DCL AP. You just turn airplane mode on and you will be using the ships internet, which you do not have to pay for.
The ships internet would be WIFI. Airplane mode just turns off cell service.

Actually, you do need to connect your phone to the WIFI network. Just don't login in the the internet package and incur charges.

Just got off NCL and even the servers are paperless. Let's say you order a drink by the pool. Instead of taking your room key and coming back with a paper receipt and pen, they have a QR code on their phone that you scan and it brings up your receipt digitally on your phone that you can sign, add tip, and have the option of having e-mailed to you.

The future is now, folks. 😂

Just got off NCL and even the servers are paperless. Let's say you order a drink by the pool. Instead of taking your room key and coming back with a paper receipt and pen, they have a QR code on their phone that you scan and it brings up your receipt digitally on your phone that you can sign, add tip, and have the option of having e-mailed to you.

I want to have my phone at the pool less than I want it in a restaurant. I have grown used to having a drink package on other lines, and just a flash of the card is all I need.

Sounds like the whole cruising experience is not very user friendly for those of us that do not have cell phones. Up until covid it was not a problem.

I like this! I never understood trying to sign a paper receipt while soaking wet from a pool or hot tub. It was always a mess.

Sounds like the whole cruising experience is not very user friendly for those of us that do not have cell phones. Up until covid it was not a problem.

I fully believe the industry was headed in this direction anyway, covid or no covid. WDW is doing the same. As much as a few people may not like it, it's the way the scales are tipping.

Covid accelerated the change to mobile first and online digital technology by 5 years. The change was always going to happen but instead of a slow gradual change over a number of years, it was a fast change over a few months.

I want to have my phone at the pool less than I want it in a restaurant. I have grown used to having a drink package on other lines, and just a flash of the card is all I need.
We did a Celebrity Cruise in October 2019. The ship overnighted in San Francisco on October 17, 2019, which happened to be the 30th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake. San Francisco decided to mark the time the quake hit....... 5:04 pm.....with a test of the cell phone alert system, also kind of in memory of the 63 people killed. We were in our stateroom, and were texting photos to our kids and the alert tone went off....same tone as the EAS test tone you hear on TV and radio. As we live only 100 miles away, and being aware that it was the 30th anniversary of the quake, it made sense to us right away. We had late seating dinner, but our servers said it was nuts during early seating when everyone's cell phone went off, and all these people from around the world had no idea what was going on.

I like this! I never understood trying to sign a paper receipt while soaking wet from a pool or hot tub. It was always a mess.

I fully believe the industry was headed in this direction anyway, covid or no covid. WDW is doing the same. As much as a few people may not like it, it's the way the scales are tipping.

It's a similar mess with the phone.. I know cellphones are splash resistant nowadays but you're still soaking wet when coming out of the pool and if you're trying to pay for a cocktail with your phone, you'll get it wet with your fingers, especially if paying from the pool or right after coming out of it.

imo, the solution is to expand the functions of the kttw - it can easily replace cell phones.
flash it to pay tabs at bars/stores, without getting a paper receipt. a CM will show you the total of your bill on his screen and you just press the tip options and an "ok" button to approve your purchase instead of a signature (which will be on file)

the kttw can also replace many other functions on your phone, including menus.
The navigator can also be uploaded in the SR's TV so you can browse thru the day's activities.

When I'm on vacation in the middle of the ocean I want to use my phone less, not more.

The whole idea is to move towards touchless as much as possible due to the current environment, same thing you're encountering at restaurants that have QR Code menus vs paper. The paperless aspect is attractive to the cruising industry I would imagine for the more Earth-friendly aspect too.

I did find the "Navigator" on the tv so without a phone you wont be totally out of luck on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter