Is it still magical? Stay at Swan/Dolphin

iwasdaisy

Mouseketeer
We've stayed at WL, BC, and BW for our past three trips. We only are able to go every 4-5 years so we want to really enjoy the magic each time. Considering the Swan/Dolphin for our 2019 trip because they are still right in the action but seemingly more affordable than the other Deluxe resorts on property. My question is, is it still magical staying there?

I think so. If you aren't a Dining Plan user, and don't need a large water slide, you still feel very much inside the "bubble." You can still walk to DHS and Epcot, you still have Disney bus service, etc.

It's not like the the Deluxe Resort accommodations are actually all that "deluxe" anyway. I never had to step into the tub to close the bathroom door at the S/D like I have at YC (and I'm thin! -ish)

Ill find out in Sept and cant wait ever since I pulled up to the Dolphin on a friendship boat Ive wanted to stay but the dining plan kept me coming back to a Disney resort, well that and I adore GF and Poly... Dolphin may become our go to if we come back after Sept tho, Disney greed and all

The only other thing you lose is the magical express, but in the grand scheme of things (as long as you're past the carseat phase in life) it's not a huge issue.

You can use your old magicbands with the tickets loaded in MDX, granted you can't charge to the room but that's not a dealbreaker either

We love the Dolphin and its often much cheaper than the Disney neighbors even after you add in the resort fee and parking costs (although we don't use a car). You don't get dining plans, DMExpress or room charging but you get just about everything else including Disney park transportation, package delivery, 60 day fp+ and emh. You can get some dining discounts at the Dolphin and Swan by using AAA. It doesn't scream Disney but there is a Disney Gift shop in the lobby as well as full Disney concierge for tickets, dining etc. For me watching the Epcot or Studios fireworks from my balcony makes up for the lack of giant Disney Characters :)

We love the location, number of restaurants - from casual up fine dining and great amenities including what we think is one of the best pools on property, the slide is plenty big enough for us :) there is a waterfall feature, sandy beach and always plenty of chairs. Kids can play volleyball at the beach area and there are always kids at the basketball net, my nephew loves that. I could go on but if you have more specific questions please ask!

Great post @tjmw2727. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

My extended family and I have been staying at the Swan/Dolphin for the past couple of years. We usually get an Executive Swan Suite, and I can’t tell you how much we enjoy staying there. It’s so beautiful and clean. The staff is awesome, dining options are very good, and the location is fantastic, whether you love the Studios or Epcot or both.

We have gotten very spoiled by staying at the BC for many of our previous trips. We love, love, love it there - and we love Stormalong Bay and the ease of access to Epcot which is our favorite park. This time we were just priced out of the BC so we are staying at the Swan this coming June. We are excited to try it. The only thing we aren't happy about so far is not being able to use our Magic Bands to charge to our room. That was so convenient during F&W.

I'll try to write back here to let you know how we thought it compared to staying at BC.

Thank you all so much. Starting to feel very good about a decision to stay at Swan/Dolphin instead of a Disney Resort, at least this time around. Want the magic, just not the bills!! :)

We stayed at both Swan and Dolphin and liked them both very much. We stayed at the Swan this past New Years Eve and even with the parking and resort fees, it was still much cheaper than staying at a Disney Deluxe resort. The hotels are beautiful and the rooms and the beds are great. The location is perfect. We walked to Epcot and HS. We also used the boats and bus transportation to the parks with no problems. We enjoyed the Boardwalk area and we could also see the fireworks from our room. The only downside was not being able to use our magic bands to charge to the room. We will definitely stay there again. Enjoy your vacation!

Over the years we've stayed at S/D three times, with our last stay in January. IMHO the biggest thing I hear from others is that the theming isn't as "Disney" which it isn't, but I like hotel and most of I like the money I save. Being in the midst of Epcot is a big sell for us, being able to walk or boat to Epcot or HS great, I've always found the bus service from S/D to MK & AK to be great. To be fair you need to know that S/D does have a resort fee and they do charge for parking, so put that all together when you compare. If you are a AAA member you can get some discounts in some of the restaurants. I would also suggest checking out the Costco Travel package for S/D, they have recently up'd the ante and include a Two-category upgrade to a newly renovated Fireworks-View Room, $100 resort credit (per room, per stay) plus Complimentary upgrade to a Park Hopper® Plus Ticket provides access to Disney's Water Parks.

Also I'd suggest dropping by the Walt Disney World SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORTS Information & Questions thread, Dan does a great job with info from S/D and a good group of regulars there too.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...olphin-resorts-information-questions.3264274/

We've stayed at both and the location, room comfort, pool area and restaurants just can't be beat, IMHO. Oh and the price! Even with the parking fees and resort fee (which I don't really care about - they do provide bottled water and Starbuck's coffee and we don't have a car there) I find it's MUCH cheaper than the WDW EP resorts. Yes, it's slightly out of the bubble, IMHO, but in just a few steps from Swan/Dolphin, you are walking on the Boardwalk or taking a friendship boat or Disney bus somewhere, so the bubble is not very far away!

We are going back to the Swan for our second visit in November. We almost rented DVC points at the AKL but feel the price and location of the S/D can’t be beat.

We love the Swan. We spent three nights at AKL this week because we could not get availability at the Swan and we will not go again. Too far away from everything and the buses were few and far between. Looking out the window and seeing Epcot or DHS is pretty darn magical.

FYI: Disney just announced this week that it will also start charging a parking fee.

I only stayed at the Swan/Dolphin once and I have to say that to me it did feel "different". The hotels were very nice but it didn't have that same Disney feel, at least to me. If it were my dime I'd rather stay at the Riverside for what's probably about the same price.

My wife and I absolutely love the WDW Dolphin. For us, the loss of a few Disney perks is more than balanced by the drastic reduction of price as compared to the Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach right next door. If we want to be immersed in Mickey, we'll take a few minutes walk.

The Swan & Dolphin's locations are AWESOME and most of their restaurants offer a 20% discount with AAA. (We had a delicious Sunday breakfast buffet with Goofy, Chip, Dale, and Pluto for $20/adult!) At the Dolphin I was also able to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from my room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter