• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it safe to put frozen chicken breasts in Crock Pot?

katie01

DIS Veteran
I usually defrost all meat before cooking it in a Crock Pot. Anyone ever put frozen chicken breasts in a Crock Pot and live to tell? If so, do you cook it on high or low setting?

I usually defrost all meat before cooking it in a Crock Pot. Anyone ever put frozen chicken breasts in a Crock Pot and live to tell? If so, do you cook it on high or low setting?

I do all the time. I didn't realize there was a reason not to? Haven't died yet.

Oh, typically I put most things on high, but occasionally on low, so I'd guess high for most of the frozen chicken I've cooked.

I do it all of the time. I put it on Low though and it cooks all day with no issues, it's always done.

I do it all the time and no issues. I have read articles that say it is just fine to do as well so *shrug*.

The variables are way too many for me to say yes it is definitely safe. How big are the pieces? How much liquid? What is the starting temp of everything already in when you put the chicken in. How much total volume. How much of that volume is the frozen chicken? How efficient is your model. etc etc blah blah etc etc. Those are all things that affect the answer to your question. The issue isn't whether the chicken will get cooked. It will eventually.
The issue is how fast it can get the chicken out of the danger zone of temperatures. The answer is there are at least some circumstances where it cannot. Therefore it is a risk.

So the bottom line is it's a risk. But given the ways of safely and easily quick thawing chicken breasts these days, it is a risk that it is not necessary to take. So why take it?

The variables are way too many for me to say yes it is definitely safe. How big are the pieces? How much liquid? What is the starting temp of everything already in when you put the chicken in. How much total volume. How much of that volume is the frozen chicken? How efficient is your model. etc etc blah blah etc etc. Those are all things that affect the answer to your question. The issue isn't whether the chicken will get cooked. It will eventually.
The issue is how fast it can get the chicken out of the danger zone of temperatures. The answer is there are at least some circumstances where it cannot. Therefore it is a risk.

So the bottom line is it's a risk. But given the ways of safely and easily quick thawing chicken breasts these days, it is a risk that it is not necessary to take. So why take it?

Like?

I'd be worried more about breaking the crockpot than food safety. I broke a large crockpot by putting in frozen food with no liquid.

I'm not much of a cook but isn't the safe temperature between 40 and 140 F? I would think that as long as the chicken gets to over 140F before you eat it, then it is safe.

Yes, bacteria flourishes between 40 and 140 F but as it goes over 140, those bacteria die don't they? So, I would think that as long as the food doesn't stay between 40 and 140 F long enough to rot, as long as it gets to over 140 and is kept over 140 before eating, it should be all good.

However, I'm open to education from those who know more.

I've been putting frozen chicken in the crock pot for years! My only complaint is that it can sometimes be too dry. It is definitely better if cooked from defrosted. I also put a frozen roast in the crock pot. Never had a problem...

I have a restaurant/bakery background and have been food safety certified three times. They definitely tell you that this is not safe to do, and you should not do it.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Slow_Cookers_and_Food_Safety.pdf

However, this is the only food safety rule that i break in my own home. I have a small, not quite two quart, crockpot. It cooks hotter than some slow cookers I've had in the past. I cook for myself, and I usually only have one tiny piece of meat or one chicken thigh in it, with a cup or two of liquid in it at the time. So, it is never more than half full. I cook on high for 4-5 hours.

I'd be worried more about breaking the crockpot than food safety. I broke a large crockpot by putting in frozen food with no liquid.

Yes, if you don't add liquid, it would crack. :(

I'm not much of a cook but isn't the safe temperature between 40 and 140 F? I would think that as long as the chicken gets to over 140F before you eat it, then it is safe.

Yes, bacteria flourishes between 40 and 140 F but as it goes over 140, those bacteria die don't they? So, I would think that as long as the food doesn't stay between 40 and 140 F long enough to rot, as long as it gets to over 140 and is kept over 140 before eating, it should be all good.

However, I'm open to education from those who know more.

The danger zone is between 40° and 140°. The safe temperature zones are below 40° for cold storage and above 140° for hot hold. But different meats have different minimum temperatures that they must reach before they are done. Like for instance, chicken must get to 165°. At the restaurant I worked at, beef had to be 155°, minimum.

The only one I don't put in frozen is ribs, they need to be flexible to fit in the crockpot.

Reactions: Kae
Yes...I do it weekly, at minimum. Chicken, roasts, pork chops, meatballs. All frozen. All cooked on low all day. All fine.

I prefer to start all my chicken crockpot recipes with frozen chicken parts otherwise the chicken dries out too much. My favorite is chicken & dumplings. Add frozen chicken ( I use boneless breasts & thighs), 1/2 stick of butter, 2 cans of cream of chix soup and 1 cup of milk. When I get home 8 hours later, I just shred the chicken, add cut up pieces of pillsbury biscuits from a can and throw it on high for 45 minutes and it's perfect! The weather is getting just about right for a bowl of chicken & dumplings....yum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter