is it rude to make an ADR for our 1st night, if there is a chance we'll cancel it?

dawnmommy

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first trip to the World, and we're so excited! We are doing the DDP and I'm just starting to map out meals (we have more than 2 months before we can make our ressies).

I expect we'll get to the Poly between 2-3 pm. We are flying from Chicago, so not a super long flight. I am very torn as to whether my kiddos will be up for a dinner that night. We're considering Chef Mickeys, Garden Grill or Crystal Palace. Interested in Ohana during our trip, but thinking a character meal would be perfect for our first night.

My only concern is that if the kiddos are overly tired or just want to hang out, I'd need to cancel that ADR without much notice. Is that completely rude, or is that enough time to be "fair" to those who would like to try walk-up to a restaurant that night?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for arrival night meals! we prefer something on the monorail for that first night. we're find doing a park admission, since it hardly costs anything to do 8 days rather than a 7 day ticket.

thank you!

oh and my kids will be 6 and 3 (almost 4) at the time. Both love princesses, even my 6 year old ds, who seems to have a crush on Belle, and says her name in a "dreamy" sort of voice, haha. I'm actually thinking of booking Akershus twice during our visit. The younger one is a sleep fanatic, which is what has me worried.

thanks!

We are planning our first trip to the World, and we're so excited! We are doing the DDP and I'm just starting to map out meals (we have more than 2 months before we can make our ressies).

I expect we'll get to the Poly between 2-3 pm. We are flying from Chicago, so not a super long flight. I am very torn as to whether my kiddos will be up for a dinner that night. We're considering Chef Mickeys, Garden Grill or Crystal Palace. Interested in Ohana during our trip, but thinking a character meal would be perfect for our first night.

My only concern is that if the kiddos are overly tired or just want to hang out, I'd need to cancel that ADR without much notice. Is that completely rude, or is that enough time to be "fair" to those who would like to try walk-up to a restaurant that night?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for arrival night meals! we prefer something on the monorail for that first night. we're find doing a park admission, since it hardly costs anything to do 8 days rather than a 7 day ticket.

thank you!

oh and my kids will be 6 and 3 (almost 4) at the time. Both love princesses, even my 6 year old ds, who seems to have a crush on Belle, and says her name in a "dreamy" sort of voice, haha. I'm actually thinking of booking Akershus twice during our visit. The younger one is a sleep fanatic, which is what has me worried.

thanks!

You should cancel as soon as you know you are not going to make the dinner.

I fell ill the last trip and had to cancel my dinner ressie about an hour before my ressie time. They appreciated the fact that I had called, and hope I felt better to come back the next day! They even offered to look up a time for the following day if I wanted to re-schedule.

It always pays to let them know.

I don't think it is rude at all! As long as you are going to cancel as soon as you know that you can't make it. That spot will allow a walk up a dinner they are hoping for! Plus, you have to be prepared with little ones so making the ressie is very smart! You never know if they will be full of energy and you need that dinner or if they are tired and cranky and you don't need it.
Make it and just be ready to cancel as soon as possible if you don't need it!

It is so true. We all fell ill our last trip and had to cancel all of our ADR's, they really do appreciate when you call and cancel.

I don't think it's rude at all if you cancel as soon as you know you won't make it.

Last September, we'd made adr's at the Captain's Grille at the YC, for dinner on our arrival day. As luck would have it, we got to the BC, got checked in, and got our stuff to our room, and found that the CG was still open for lunch (by about 15 minutes). We walked up for lunch, and were seated right away. At the time of check-in (lunch), I asked the hostess to cancel our dinner adr's, so that someone could have a nice surprise, if they walked up. She seemed genuinely surprised and happy that we did that. We figured that we got our meal there at lunch, and that someone else should benefit from it at dinner.
DW also took ill after a dinner later in our stay. We'd planned upon Kouzzina for dinner the next night. After discussing things the next morning, we thought it best to cancel Kouzzina, which I promptly did at the BC desk.

So: sometimes, one makes plans, but life hands you a good or bad surprise, and those plans must change. Our goal was to get the adr canceled as soon as we knew that something had come up, and altered our plans. Perhaps wait on the character meal for another day (but I know about special plans, we make them, too), and eat at the Poly the first night.

We enjoyed our Chef Mickey's breakfast in 2006. :goodvibes

I agree with the PPs - as long as you call and cancel then it should be fine. The more notice you can give them the better so that a walk-up can be accommodated. Just make sure that it is an ADR that is cancellable - some of the shows require a credit card and they will charge you if you don't cancel at least 24 hours before hand.

Since you're at the Poly, have you thought about doing the Lilo and Stitch breakfast the first morning - that would be a great way to start off the trip.

I think as long as you have do the right thing and cancel a little beforehand would be a great thing to do, the sooner you know you wouldnt be going the better. It will open it up for someone who needs it.

You can use the Front Desk Concierge to make or cancel ADRs. It's a service at all the Disney resorts.

I've had to cancel last-minute for Bistro de Paris. Since I happened to be in Epcot, I was able to go to the restaurant directly. The cast member at the podium canceled it for me. That's always an option, canceling directly at the restaurant check in area.

I am in the minority here, but I do think it is inconsiderate to make an ADR that you think you will not make. Other guests are prevented from making that ADR.
Most posters talk about the availabilty at the last minute for a walk up. If I am planning 6 months in advance, and I have pre-paid for my meals (DDP), I am not leaving it up to the slim chance that someone will cancel at the last minute. I will make an ADR at somewhere less desirable to me. I will have been prevented from making that ADR for my family.
I think it is fair to book what you believe you can make. I agree that life sometimes interrupts the best laid plans, but to book when you believe you may not make it is not the right thing to do.

I don't think it's rude because if you think you might not make it then someone will either get a last minute ADR themselves or it will be given to someone who is trying to go as a walk-in. Plus if you are able to make it then at least you will have somewhere to eat that night.

I completely agree with all the previous posters :goodvibes Just cancel as soon as you know :thumbsup2 Just think that you might be creating some Disney magic for the person who will now be able to get in :tinker:
dawnmommy, :welcome: to the DIS and I hope your first Disney trip is filled with marvelous memories and lots of magical moments :wave:

I would absolutely make the ADR (probably for as early as you can for dinner) and then just cancel that day if your kids aren't up for it.

For character dinners along the monorail, you can do:
-1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian (Cinderella, step sisters, Prince Charming)
-Crystal Palace (Pooh and friends)
-Cinderella's Royal Table (I think it will be a full princess dinner by the time you're there, but it would be a shame to have to cancel that one!)
-Chef Mickey's, as you noted

I would go ahead and make the ADR, but I would do it for Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare. This way you will not need to purchase a park ticket for the first day and then kids can get some rest or swim after dinner. The kids should be ready to go on your first full Disney day!!

Nope, I don't think it's "rude" either, as long as you cancel if you don't need it. The table won't stay empty, someone else will get it.

Many, many people have to cancel at the last minute.

We are doing Chef Mickey's our first day. It's a perfect start to the vacation. Gets the whole find Mickey thing out of the way. Plus, you need a great hearty meal to get started!

this is absolutely not rude in my opinion..just call and cancel as soon as you know you won't be going....however, I must tell you that calling and cancelling can be a big pain..we cancelled a few reservations on our last trip and made some switches and i was on the the phone for like 20 minutes one time..one reservation I actually didn't cancel because I just couldn't get through. I know you can go to any restaurant or guest relations to cancel too.

not rude at all! now, making 2 ressies at the same time, becasue you want to decide that day where you "feel" like eating, that's rude.
with little kids, any one of your ressies might have to be cancelled. but you ARE planning on eating that night. but you know you MIGHT have to cancel if the kids are just wiped out from the travel. very fair. and a nice surprise for someone else.
for the PP who said they plan ahead and have ressies at someplace less desirable... keep calling. esp. that day. maybe an Ohana's ressie (for example)will open, and then you can cancel your other one at the less diesirable place.

Op, I think I would stay away from the parks that first night. the children might be too distracted to want to go into the restaurant. save the park for the first "big day!"
a nice "intro" to 'all that is disney" is a resort dinner, then viewing the electrical water pagaent from the poly beach (if the kiddies can stay up that late)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter