Is it realistically possible to Cluster G+/LL in the AM?

disneypanda11

Mouseketeer
We're booked for Nov 7-13 and reading these threads, I'm concerned how well the new system will work for us while traveling with our 3 year old (her first trip to Disney, our first trip back since 2015 at which time we went pretty much yearly). We'd like to spending mornings through lunchtime in the parks then return to our resort for an afternoon break. We're not planning for park hopping this trip.

We're willing to pay for G+/LL to help, but if I'm understanding those systems correctly, it sounds like they may not easily allow for us to fit the rides we wish to do into a morning at the park. Any thoughts on this? Do most reservation times span later in the day or is it possible to cluster them earlier?

Given that this is Jersey Week/Veteran's Day, I'm expecting between that and the post-pandemic rush it will be much busier than what we were used to in our prior trips, and if we don't have reservations through G+/LL I'm assuming the standby times are going to be significant (please tell me that I'm wrong!). If it would help significantly, we could probably change our dates.

We were so accustomed the "old" way of things at Disney, I'm feeling totally lost on what to realistically expect regarding how much can be done in a morning with the new reservation systems and thus whether it's really worth it for us to go right now with how we'll need to structure our days.

ETA-- Thanks all for the feedback, lots of great ideas and perspective. We've decided to postpone this trip until we feel more comfortable with the new system and our daughter gets a bit older.

Last edited:
Our experience with two trips using G+ and ILL$ was that at best we could get both an ILL and 1 G+ in the morning. If we were lucky. BTW we could make a 2nd G+, for the rides we wanted, only afternoon times were available. However you have a 3-year-old, so perhaps you would be looking for different rides than we were.

Also note that many attractions that are easy to get a G+ for (Philharmagic, for example) also have short standby lines, so G+ can be unnecessary.

If your 3-year-old is tall enough and interested in 7DMT and/or SDD, be aware that it's a coin toss whether there'd be an ILL available for the morning, even booking at 7 a.m. exactly (assuming you're staying onsite).

Our most successful stacking was done for the early evening or very late afternoon--and that took some work, because one has to keep refreshing the app until a desirable-to-you time shows up.

I think you have to build rope drop into your strategy. Be aware that at MK, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for Early Theme Park Entry, which is available only to onsite guests. If you're off-site, RD has lost its edge for you.

What about after your afternoon break? You could tour in the morning and stack some G+ for late afternoon/early evening if you will be going back to the park for a few hours.

What about after your afternoon break? You could tour in the morning and stack some G+ for late afternoon/early evening if you will be going back to the park for a few hours.

This could work. Without the park hopper, we're still allowed back into the same park we went to in the morning, correct?

Our experience with two trips using G+ and ILL$ was that at best we could get both an ILL and 1 G+ in the morning. If we were lucky. BTW we could make a 2nd G+, for the rides we wanted, only afternoon times were available. However you have a 3-year-old, so perhaps you would be looking for different rides than we were.

Also note that many attractions that are easy to get a G+ for (Philharmagic, for example) also have short standby lines, so G+ can be unnecessary.

If your 3-year-old is tall enough and interested in 7DMT and/or SDD, be aware that it's a coin toss whether there'd be an ILL available for the morning, even booking at 7 a.m. exactly (assuming you're staying onsite).

Our most successful stacking was done for the early evening or very late afternoon--and that took some work, because one has to keep refreshing the app until a desirable-to-you time shows up.

I think you have to build rope drop into your strategy. Be aware that at MK, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for Early Theme Park Entry, which is available only to onsite guests. If you're off-site, RD has lost its edge for you.

That's all really helpful to know- especially about using RD. Thankfully, we're up with her at the crack of dawn so we actually would have a chance to do that. In that case, we'd standby a popular ride like 7DMT and then use ILL/G+ for other rides later?

That's all really helpful to know- especially about using RD. Thankfully, we're up with her at the crack of dawn so we actually would have a chance to do that. In that case, we'd standby a popular ride like 7DMT and then use ILL/G+ for other rides later?
Yes. That could work. At MK, you have to be near the front of the Early Theme Park Entry (ETPE) crowd to get a decent place in line for 7DMT. That and PPF fill up really quickly. If that happens to you, head over to Pooh--it usually has a pretty short line until official park opening.

7DMT is currently the only ride at MK that has ILL. If you rope drop that ride, there is not an option to use ILL for a different ride. G+ is separate from ILL.

Since only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open, every one with early entry is either going to Space or 7DMT. If you are not at the front of the rope, expect to wait (not as long as not using early entry), but it won't be walk on.

I would buy ILL for 7dmt and then rope drop Peter Pan. We were at the very very front (like #10) to tap into the park and walked on 7dmt at rope drop. By the time we got off and my child used the bathroom 😒 the line was already 60min around 8:50. People were swarming it. We were able to get a genie+ for our second ride though for Peter Pan for early evening.

I only have one day of park experience since G+ started, but did use it last weekend at HS with a mid-day break strategy. We have young kids, but this was an adults trip.

We had LL stacked for the afternoon, mostly because we couldn’t get any in the am. We did RD at early entry and knocked out 3 rides in the first hour. Following that we took a snack break and then waited for a show. One more attraction and then left for a few hours. I would have done exactly the same with our kids in tow. When we returned, we did 2 LL, early dinner, 2 standby, drinks/snacks, then one last LL.

One thing I’ve always appreciated at MK is the number of options. If you do RD, you could do a headliner, but with younger kids we often knock out quite a few B list rides in the first hour or so - the kids like those better anyway. Then use more LL for whatever you can get later in the day.

The great thing about 3 year olds is they have zero expectations. Everything is new. She will equally like Aladdin’s Flying Carpet or Dumbo. She will like running around Tom Sawyers Island, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, and going to shows to Mickeys Philharmonic, Enchanted Tiki Room, and Country Bear Jamboree. I agree rope dropping is a great strategy but try not to stress too much about specific rides. You can’t do them all and some of the less popular attractions can really be fun.

The great thing about 3 year olds is they have zero expectations. Everything is new. She will equally like Aladdin’s Flying Carpet or Dumbo. She will like running around Tom Sawyers Island, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, and going to shows to Mickeys Philharmonic, Enchanted Tiki Room, and Country Bear Jamboree. I agree rope dropping is a great strategy but try not to stress too much about specific rides. You can’t do them all and some of the less popular attractions can really be fun.
Agreed! I took my 3 year old twins in February. We watched the fireworks from near Dumbo (no crowds at all) and then rode Barnstormer 3 times in a row. They loved it. They always talk about "going through the sign" and it's so cute. It was so hard for me to remember that they loved everything, and they didn't like waiting in lines. They FAVORITE thing was the Free Skyliner rides to the park, so there's also that haha

Since only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open, every one with early entry is either going to Space or 7DMT. If you are not at the front of the rope, expect to wait (not as long as not using early entry), but it won't be walk on.
Dropping in, how long would we expect to wait? I'm not willing to pay ILL but have a younger child who really wants to do this. I'm also going to be working with a stroller and refuse to take part in the run everyone over culture. If the wait is too long I'll need to start prepping her that it's not going to happen.

Dropping in, how long would we expect to wait? I'm not willing to pay ILL but have a younger child who really wants to do this. I'm also going to be working with a stroller and refuse to take part in the run everyone over culture. If the wait is too long I'll need to start prepping her that it's not going to happen.
I went to MK two days in a row shortly after 8am in early March. The first day I rope dropped 7DMT and waited about 45 minutes. The second day I went to Space and it was just under 30.

I went to MK two days in a row shortly after 8am in early March. The first day I rope dropped 7DMT and waited about 45 minutes. The second day I went to Space and it was just under 30.
Ok, we may not be able to do that then. Drat. She has really been looking forward to it but we can't afford ILL for everyone and we can't win in a stampede with littles with us.

With a 3 year old, I would rope drop the "B" rides. We have younger kids, only 1 of which likes 7DMT. We have always had a good experience by starting with Buzz and going right in order (Buzz, Speedway, Pooh, Tea-cups, Dumbo, Barnstormer, Ariel, and then end up at the carousel). We were there after Thanksgiving and all of the above rides were pretty much walk-on or under 10 minute wait first thing. I bought $ILL for 7DMT for 3 of us in the group that wanted to ride it (got 9:40ish I think?) and then booked Peter Pan as our first genie+ (was out to 11ish at that point). It was an 8 am opening, so early entry started at 7:30... we did all of the above with multiple rides on Barnstormer by the time we could ride 7DMT. The same strategy worked well pre-covid.

The other parks will be tricky since there aren't as many rides. The frustration with genie+ is the unknown of what return time you are going to get with the popular rides in the other parks...

I also think strategy will change once the newer rides open (guardians, tron). Right now they only have 1 $ILL per park, but that is only thru August. I'd keep monitoring the boards. I'm sure it will continue to evolve. I still think you can have a successful morning by rope dropping... ecspecially when you aren't going for the headliners.

Since you will be riding smaller kids ride, you could play this well.
If 7 D is desired, you will most likely waste your precious 30 min for that at RD. ILL instead. Try and get the LL for an earlier time, JC if possible or PP , if at 7 they are not early enough, keep checking until the 717 and something earlier usually pops up. Early time is key here.
RD a harder available smaller ride like Buzz or PP depending on whether you got PP as a LL. By using the rest of your 30 minutes on smaller rides, you should get some in easy.
At park opening, stop the sections your in and go do Haunted first thing. Punch in to your LL hopefully next. As soon as you get through the scan points, make LL for some other ride you haven’t done yet that’s nearby and close in time. Fill in any gaps with SB rides nearby. Because the rides you are doing are generally still available, you should do ok if you continue the scan and pick more method.
If you are returning after break, when you last scan, start the 2 hour stack. Some rides that you did at RD or SB could have been a favorite and you could re-ride.
I feel this method can work for you because in MK many have success this way. Little Rides that build to “only” 1/2 hour that you can get through in 10, gives you a 20 minute savings, that when added together is now meaningful.
The scan in method has been working great at MK for people because of the number of rides, leaving availability for smaller rides longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter