Is it possible to sell DVC to someone you know?

kapicka

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We are looking at selling 1 of our Grand Californian contracts. Is there any disadvantage to selling it to someone we know and saving the 6%-10% commission rate that companies charge? One of our previous renters may be interested in buying it so we were thinking we could save both of us some money. It is a 125 point contract which I know isn't huge but with the cost of VGC points the commission adds up to a lot. Thanks in advance for any insight you have.

How would you go and get all the paperwork that outlines the sale, etc.? Whatever you produce to DVC for the ROFR

Good question. I did talk to a company who I used years ago to buy a DVC contract and they will do all the paperwork for a very reasonable flat fee instead of a percentage of the sale price.

Disney could take it in ROFR. Then your buyer will lose it even though you save money on commissions.

Remember:
Disney always wins, they could buy back your contract. Leaving your friend empty handed.
Never a free lunch, you save on commission but pay more in fees.

Call one of the title companies, some of them have generic contracts you can use. Title company will still need to file the deed and all that jazz, is not fun trying to do alone.

LT Transfers can probably handle this for you. They have sample sales agreements you can use and know how to submit to DVC for ROFR, then can take care of the closing if DVC doesn’t take it. (If DVC does take it, DVC does the closing.) Their fees are very reasonable.

Call Mason Title. They send you the paperwork and handle everything. I wouldn't hesitate to do this, as a seller or a buyer.

I guess you could pay a little more in fees, but it's not going to be as much as a broker fee. Cammy quoted me the same when I was working on a private sale.

But yea, don't go too low or you will get ROFR.

Edit: NVM I was thinknig VGF. You are in California. Call whoever the good title company is there and ask first. California may be more complicated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and options for closing/submitting to ROFR. I should hear back from my potential buyer this week.
Good luck with your potential sale 🥰

Does Disney ever buy back grand Californian?

I don’t think so. The price difference is small so it doesn’t make any sense for them, even though they have a very long waitlist for them direct.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It looks like our buyer was not able to make it work so we'll probably need to pay the commission to list it. Unfortunately that means a higher asking price for buyers : (

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter